bye bye oceana

poorer

5 minutes ago, poorer said:

Just received an email from P&O confirming that Oceana will be leaving their fleet this week.

Bit gutted never got to go on her.

We had three fantastic cruises on the elegant old lady and we will miss her. This continuous push towards the ugly monstrous party ships will see the true 'cruise experience' disappear. We'll carry on cruising, pun intended😉 until the demise of Arcadia and Aurora, and then unfortunately, our cruising days will also be over😢

Avril 

• Like 2

In the early days of Oceana we loved her but earlier this year when we were in her it was clear that they either needed to do some work on her or let her go.  Had we not been on her earlier this year I too would be gutted but after our worst cruise of 52 cruises I had already decided that I would never go on her again.

• Like 3

Was never a favourite ship of ours but always sad to see any ship leave the fleet whether it be to another company or for scrap but like any business they have to think of the bigger picture and losing at least 1 ship from P&O fleet was always on the cards with the introduction of Iona and Iona 2 in the future even without the effects of the pandemic. But honestly dont think people can relax and think that is the end because like was announced that 6 ships were to go I am sure others might be in the pipeline.

Shes docked in Newcastle Port of Tyne at the moment or she was on local TV last night. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/travel-tourism/po-oceana-ship-north-shields-18400124

From another topic #Moleschip?

Currently Oceana is headed to Weymouth bay for a week or two but thats subject to change. I'm also hearing that she is likely to loose her bow art and branding possibly as soon as today. (07/07/20)

Edited by 2BACRUISER
more recent info

I know its been rumoured in the last few weeks, but its still a shame to hear it confirmed.

OK, she's showing her age (configuration wise) but she's still a nice ship. I only sailed on her once (and her sister Aurora) but there's a nice cozy feel about the ship - something that the larger ships don't quite manage.

Bon Voyage dear Oceana.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Shes docked in Newcastle Port of Tyne at the moment or she was on local TV last night. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/travel-tourism/po-oceana-ship-north-shields-18400124

Currently Oceana is headed to Weymouth bay for a week or two but thats subject to change. I'm also hearing that she is likely to loose her bow art and branding possibly as soon as today. (07/07/20)

6 minutes ago Oceana was in Southampton:

image.thumb.png.4e89df08f9f6001112392cf1fa26568c.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Was never a favourite ship of ours but always sad to see any ship leave the fleet whether it be to another company or for scrap but like any business they have to think of the bigger picture and losing at least 1 ship from P&O fleet was always on the cards with the introduction of Iona and Iona 2 in the future even without the effects of the pandemic. But honestly dont think people can relax and think that is the end because like was announced that 6 ships were to go I am sure others might be in the pipeline.

Likewise, not my favourite of the ships I want to sail on but sad for others.

The six ships are of course across the whole Carnival Corp stable but sadly nothing can be certain in the current situation. I just hope Aurora is safe because if she went, there would only be one ship left for me...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I know its been rumoured in the last few weeks, but its still a shame to hear it confirmed.

OK, she's showing her age (configuration wise) but she's still a nice ship. I only sailed on her once (and her sister Aurora) but there's a nice cozy feel about the ship - something that the larger ships don't quite manage.

Bon Voyage dear Oceana.

More of a distant cousin to Aurora I think 😄. Pretty much the same size and age but very different in every other respect.

• Like 1

Sailed on her last year and the cabins areas definitely require updating. The sewage smell from the bathroom pipework was also very noticeable and always present, even when it had just been cleaned. Still had a good cruise though. I do tend to prefer the smaller ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

She left Newcastle on Saturday night.

I posted a longer sail.out on another thread.

We have sailed several times on Oceana but last time thought she was looking tired.

• Like 1

I first saw Oceana in Barbados (Ocean Princess then) when we were aboard Arcadia (formerly Star Princess). I was so impressed I booked our next cruise on Oceana (once it became part of P&O).

The Pennant bar is one of the best ship bars I've ever sat at.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I first saw Oceana in Barbados (Ocean Princess then) when we were aboard Arcadia (formerly Star Princess). I was so impressed I booked our next cruise on Oceana (once it became part of P&O).

The Pennant bar is one of the best ship bars I've ever sat at.

Aurora has a similar bar, also called the Pennant Bar - no adjacent jacuzzi mind....

So it's confirmed.  Well, only 2 ships left for us now, but don't think I will be going on my April cruise on Aurora.  In fact I won't be cruising until there is a vaccine.  Just not worth the risk.

Just booked a holiday to Scotland in September.

• Like 1

out with the old in with the new you cannot stand still or you will be left behind,our next cruise is on Iona in November so hopefully my beloved will catch a glimpse of Gary Barlow. 

• Haha 1