Social Distancing on a Cruise Ship?

Royal announced today that social distancing and reduced passenger load will be the new norm for the near future. I guess my cruising days are are on on hold for a long time to come. You go on a cruise to socialize, meet new people and have fun. Maybe somebody out there can explain it to me, I just can't see how it will happen. My wife and I have been cruising for a long time and going to the lounge, having a drink, talking to other cruisers, playing trivia, etc. is part of the day, especially at sea.

Edited by djjoe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If they start the policing on our next (2021) cruise by harassing guests, counting people in rooms, directing traffic as if we're in the Warsaw Ghetto, they might as well start looking at their "new norm" as a faster path toward bankruptcy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, djjoe said:

Royal announced today that social distancing and reduced passenger load will be the new norm for the near future. I guess my cruising days are are on on hold for a long time to come. You go on a cruise to socialize, meet new people and have fun. Maybe somebody out there can explain it to me, I just can't see how it will happen. My wife and I have been cruising for a long time and going to the lounge, having a drink, talking to other cruisers, playing trivia, etc. is part of the day, especially at sea.

Yeah, the pandemic is taking every single thing I love about cruising out of cruising.    I had to lift and shift from this August to next September for an Alaskan cruise or walk away from 1800.00 in cruise credit.  If things havent changed by then, it will likely be my last cruise

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, djjoe said:

Did they say how social distancing can be done in bathrooms ?

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Couldn’t they just eliminate the C&A lounges and have a head start to social distancing?  Seems the logical and prudent SOP going forward. 

M8

What about the suite lounges?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ryano said:

Yeah, the pandemic is taking every single thing I love about cruising out of cruising.    I had to lift and shift from this August to next September for an Alaskan cruise or walk away from 1800.00 in cruise credit.  If things havent changed by then, it will likely be my last cruise

Yep.  There will be some diehards ready to mask up and live with dozens of fun sucking restrictions, but I suspect they may not have trouble getting to reduced occupancy.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did they say how social distancing can be done in bathrooms ?

Lock them down. Take care of your business in your cabin. 😇

Load 2 or 3 public bathroom trips per day  on your Sea Pass card which will need to be swiped at the restroom door😇

• Haha 8

Lock them down. Take care of your business in your cabin. 😇

What if your cabin is on deck 13 and you just finished dinner on deck 3.If you are physically unable to run up 10 flights of stairs and you need a bathroom there is likely to be a problem.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

What if your cabin is on deck 13 and you just finished dinner on deck 3.If you are physically unable to run up 10 flights of stairs and you need a bathroom there is likely to be a problem.

There will be lots of problems and inconveniences.  There will be so many it's hardly worth speculating and debating individual "social distancing" issues that are going to be in place.  Our next cruise is in 15 months and even then we might not be interested in going.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yep.  There will be some diehards ready to mask up and live with dozens of fun sucking restrictions, but I suspect they may not have trouble getting to reduced occupancy.

One person's "fun sucking restrictions" might be another person's definition of the ideal cruise!

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Couldn’t they just eliminate the C&A lounges and have a head start to social distancing?  Seems the logical and prudent SOP going forward. 

M8

Apparently you always get a drink package, some of us don't. Eliminate all bars if you can'r socially distance in them. That's what is happening now, because of the virus, and life seems to be going on.

Sounds so groovy to do this for the measly cost of many thousand of dollars.

So that you can be ambushed by the cruise line because of the dry cough that is routine with many high blood pressure meds and thyroid disease.

Not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Bring in porta potties.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

There will be lots of problems and inconveniences.  There will be so many it's hardly worth speculating and debating individual "social distancing" issues that are going to be in place.

How many cruise related posts can one post on CC any longer without speculation of some kind ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

What about the suite lounges?

If it was only Suites who had access, as an amenity, crowding or social distancing, shouldn’t be a problem. Create enough room to social distance. 😇

I believe there are changes coming. These are not perks to Suite Guest. They are amenities. 

Enjoy

M8

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

One person's "fun sucking restrictions" might be another person's definition of the ideal cruise!

Definitely a minority though.  As I said, lower occupancy might be easily achieved.  Enjoy.

• Like 2