Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Maxximum23

Due to sail from Italy on 18 September

Recommended Posts

We are due to sail on Celebrity Edge on Friday 18 September from Rome. I know that Celebrity have said that they will start sailing again on 15 September. The ship at the moment is moored off Florida and to be honest I do not think they will bring the ship over to Europe for such a short space of time as it sails back to Florida at the end of October.

 

Would I be best postponing the cruise until next year or is it better to wait for Celebrity to cancel the cruise, then that way they might add some cruise credits? Do you think the cruise will go ahead when the ship is only here in Europe for under 7 weeks?
 

There will be a lot of Americans who would have gone on this cruise too but of course they cannot fly to Europe now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you have already made final payment, you might as well sit back and wait for the cancellation notice (if its cancelled).

Edited by hvbaskey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you really want this cruise because of the itinerary and you have a good deal, you might want to do the Lift and Shift if the same cruise is available in 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The relevant questions are 1. is there an appropriate itinerary you could lift and shift to next year that you would want to take. If so, what is the price difference between that cruise and your cruise. If it's more than 25% higher than your cruise, you would be better doing a lift and shift, can do it now or later. If it's lower in price, then can wait for the cancellation and either take the FCC or request a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for Celebrity to cancel then get a refund. Don't tie up your money with the cruise lines. Way too much uncertainty on what cruising is going to look like next year which will be about the earliest it is going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maxximum23 said:

We are due to sail on Celebrity Edge on Friday 18 September from Rome. I know that Celebrity have said that they will start sailing again on 15 September. The ship at the moment is moored off Florida and to be honest I do not think they will bring the ship over to Europe for such a short space of time as it sails back to Florida at the end of October.

 

Would I be best postponing the cruise until next year or is it better to wait for Celebrity to cancel the cruise, then that way they might add some cruise credits? Do you think the cruise will go ahead when the ship is only here in Europe for under 7 weeks?
 

There will be a lot of Americans who would have gone on this cruise too but of course they cannot fly to Europe now.

 

I assume you are before final payment...

 

Firstly would you be comfortable committing to an Italian Cruise at present? Possibly limited and expensive flights... Then you are committed to boarding a ship uncertain of many things like the  rules and regulations on board. If you play the waiting game and the ships do come across you have to be willing to board. Check your present insurance, does it cover cancellation due to Covid and medical cover for Covid?

 

Celebrity may not cancel until after final payment so you could tie up a significant amount on a cruise that you are fairly sure will not happen to get a refund or FCC at a higher amount but 125% of this year’s cost may not equal the prices next year.

 

We have simply moved our October this year cruise to September next year...just not worth the uncertainty and committing more money for a holiday that may not happen and may cause anxiety rather than excitement as the time draws nearer.

 

If you are Elite or above you can move your present deposit to any cruise, any time, free of charge. If you are not Elite the cost to change to any other cruise is £75 for guests one and two. If you simply want to push your existing cruise forward one year look at the ‘lift and shift’ programme...a direct swap should cost you no more...

 

If you are booked through a TA they should be able to go through all scenarios with you if not phone Celebrity and discuss.

 

From cruises we have been tracking 2021 (especially from Southampton) booking is fairly fast as people are forgetting 2020 and looking to 2021...

 

Holidays for us are about planning and enjoying leisure time and I simply can’t see anything relaxing in the present scenario...Now we have made the switch we can relax, we still have a fabulous cruise to look forward to in 2021 but we are not ‘news watching’ about flights/airport/districts open...

 

Hope your TA/Celebrity can help you to make a decision...

 

Whenever you get to cruise next hope it is a wonderful time!

 

 

Edited by chemmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...