Boeing 787 to Europe

CruisingIGo

Not in any free search tool that I know of.  KVS allows for filtering by aircraft type, but that's at least a $35 contribution. And a learning curve.

Since you don't mention where in "Europe" you want to go, that becomes a big guess.

You might want to research what carriers use the 787 and which don't.  I can tell you now that Delta, Emirates, Lufthansa, Swiss and others don't have 787s.  And even the ones that have 787s don't all use them on routes you might be taking.

Tricky proposition. Even if you flew an airline that only operated 787s on longhaul (such as Norwegian, yes, am aware they have 737s on some longhaul too!) then there's a chance they could sub in an aircraft on a wet lease. DY have been doing this for years on longhaul due to issues with the RR engines on their 787s. 

I know of one tool, but it's not accessible to the general public.

While the 787 is a great, modern airplane for long haul flying, there are other options like the Airbus A350 which are just as nice, if not nicer than the 787. Airlines like Delta have started using their brand new A350 across the Atlantic on select routes. 

5 hours ago, Tapi said:

I know of one tool, but it's not accessible to the general public.

While the 787 is a great, modern airplane for long haul flying, there are other options like the Airbus A350 which are just as nice, if not nicer than the 787. Airlines like Delta have started using their brand new A350 across the Atlantic on select routes. 

Loved the DL A350 first class.

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Loved the DL A350 first class.

DL do not offer first class on the A350, or in fact first class on any longhaul flight.

Delta One, their business class product, is the highest cabin offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fbgd said:

DL do not offer first class on the A350, or in fact first class on any longhaul flight.

Delta One on the 350 is better than most traditional first class products. 

2 hours ago, fbgd said:

I should have specified...We did fly Delta One...sorry, but to me it's still first class regardless of what it's called.

And business class varies on Dreamliners.  Air Canada has a much nicer layout than BA.   On BA you can have to climb over someone’s feet to get out, or have someone climb over yours.   Maybe the 10 series will improve this.  Also the Heathrow terminal 5 Business lounges are in dire need of a redo as of last fall. 

Edited by bennybear

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

Delta One on the 350 is better than most traditional first class products. 

Remember - there is a huge demarcation between domestic and international products.  International first is significantly different than domestic first.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember - there is a huge demarcation between domestic and international products.  International first is significantly different than domestic first.

Absolutely. You simply can’t compare domestic  First Class on a 737 vs Delta One on an A350. But some people get hung up on the fact that airlines like Delta don’t refer to their most premium international product as “First Class” and don’t realize that Delta One is actually a far superior product. 

• Like 1

And therein lies the problem, the airlines makes it extremely difficult to compare products.  Different names,  Air Canada uses executive first for its business class.   Very few North American airlines offer a true first class.   For many business class is their top class.  And many passengers use first class to refer to business.  Clear as mud. 

I like to look at seat guru and check seat width, pitch and cabins.   Gives one a much better idea,   And a quick search of flyer talk will get you lots of information.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bennybear said:

And therein lies the problem, the airlines makes it extremely difficult to compare products.  Different names,  Air Canada uses executive first for its business class.   Very few North American airlines offer a true first class.   For many business class is their top class.  And many passengers use first class to refer to business.  Clear as mud. 

I like to look at seat guru and check seat width, pitch and cabins.   Gives one a much better idea,   And a quick search of flyer talk will get you lots of information.  

Front of the plane (most major carriers)..regardless of what's it's called...simple. I too use Seat Guru.

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

And business class varies on Dreamliners.  Air Canada has a much nicer layout than BA.   On BA you can have to climb over someone’s feet to get out, or have someone climb over yours.   Maybe the 10 series will improve this. 

BA's new business class is top of the line...fully enclosed B/E Super Diamond seat (AC use this same seat on some aircraft) but with a door. 

Not been in the Galleries Club lounges in many years but they weren't all bad last time I was in them, jsut very overcrowded. The First lounges (where my Gold card gets me) seem to be much quieter at certain times...no complaints from me. 

Edited by fbgd

Last fall they still had the configuration I mentioned.  What 787s have the new one?  It definitely is in need of improvement.  

The lounges in Heathrow had ripped upholstery, dirty rugs, quite appalling actually. Hope they’ve fixed that too.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Front of the plane (most major carriers)..regardless of what's it's called...simple. I too use Seat Guru.

Many carriers have first in some planes and "only" business in some planes so front of the plane is not always the same.  

• Like 1

Being from Seattle, we are open to flying long haul from SEA, LAX, and SFO.  Our next cruise is on Oceania Athens-to-Venice (I expect we will fly home from FCO).

We have flown on 787s a few times and feel much better after long haul flights on those aircraft.  In the past, I have done lots of manual research to find our flights and was hoping there was a nice search engine to find flights easier.

Our 787 experiences include:

1.  Norwegian FCO to LAX...back of plane, but an exit row seat over avionics.  The floor got so hot, it melted my duty free chocolates.....but my feet were toasty warm.  Really comfortable flight....would absolutely book this seat again.

2.  Virgin Atlantic SEA to LHR.....front of plane...I believe they call it Upper Class.  While the seats do lay completely flat, they are very very hard and very uncomfortable.  It was also weird to sit on the diagonal with my back to the window.  This class of service is NOT worth the cost.

3.  Norwegian BCN to LAX....front of plane.  Not that much different/better than our Norwegian back of plane experience.  If we ever fly Norwegian again, don’t know what class of service we would book.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Many carriers have first in some planes and "only" business in some planes so front of the plane is not always the same.  

Yes...I understand that...but you'll never see first or business in the rear of the plane...that was my point :classic_wink:

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

I should have specified...We did fly Delta One...sorry, but to me it's still first class regardless of what it's called.

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

You can call it what you want, but it helps to use more official verbiage.  There's a huge difference between domestic first, international business, and international first.  They are all in the front of the plane, and some internationally configured aircraft have both business and first. 

45 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

You can call it what you want, but it helps to use more official verbiage.  There's a huge difference between domestic first, international business, and international first.  They are all in the front of the plane, and some internationally configured aircraft have both business and first. 

Sorry...for not using "Official Verbiage"   :classic_ohmy:

30 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sorry...for not using "Official Verbiage"   :classic_ohmy:

I didn't mean for it to sound critical, more just to help others understand.  I often see comments like "we flew business class on airline X and it was so much better than flying 1st class."  But then you realize they are comparing international business to domestic first, not to international first.

Edited by waterbug123
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That is why people need to research before they book!  My Singapore Airlines 777's flight had the very front section as First Class with Business Class aft and extending a few rows behind the entry door for Business Class.  My Business Class seat was immediately behind the bulkhead between First and Business.  The closest restroom was in First Class.  I barely "broke" into the First Class section before the Purser let me know I was "persona non grata"when I first needed to visit the loo.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2