Boeing 787 to Europe

CruisingIGo

23 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember - there is a huge demarcation between domestic and international products.  International first is significantly different than domestic first.

What is a very pleasant surprise is to board a Delta flight as a domestic First Class customer and to find that the plane is equipped with Delta One seating.  From my one experience with that, the service matched the Delta One service that I experienced on international flights.  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What is a very pleasant surprise is to board a Delta flight as a domestic First Class customer and to find that the plane is equipped with Delta One seating.  From my one experience with that, the service matched the Delta One service that I experienced on international flights.  

I think that normally you get the service you paid for even if you get a better seat. I know that British Airways sometimes use planes equipped with First seats on routes where they don't offer First and if the First cabin is used the people sitting there still get Club World service but with a better seat.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is why people need to research before they book!  My Singapore Airlines 777's flight had the very front section as First Class with Business Class aft and extending a few rows behind the entry door for Business Class.  My Business Class seat was immediately behind the bulkhead between First and Business.  The closest restroom was in First Class.  I barely "broke" into the First Class section before the Purser let me know I was "persona non grata"when I first needed to visit the loo.  

Yes, isn't that a bummer when you really got to go...

bon voyage

On 7/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, CruisingIGo said:

We prefer to fly long flights on Boeing 787s.  Is there any way to search flights to Europe and specify the equipment (Boeing 787) in the search criteria?

TIA!

Why the 787?  Is it the size of the aircraft even though 3 variants exist?  Is it the lower cabin altitude compared to older aircraft?  Is it because you prefer Boeing aircraft as a Seattle resident?  Noise level?  Lack of real window shades?  To me, the only real factors might be the cabin air pressure at cruise or perhaps that it is a smaller aircraft.  For sure the cabin layout, amenities  and price depend on the carrier.

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Curious what the route was?  On some domestic transcontinental routes, Delta uses aircraft configured for Delta One and sells it as Delta One with full business class service.  Occasionally on other routes you will get the aircraft configured for Delta One but generally get the domestic first service.  Sometimes this happens because they need to shuttle the aircraft to a different airport or something like that.

11 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think that normally you get the service you paid for even if you get a better seat.

Agreed, see above.  You might get the business class bedding or amenity kit, but doubtful the meal would be catered as the full multi-course D1 meal. 

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Occasionally on other routes you will get the aircraft configured for Delta One but generally get the domestic first service.  Sometimes this happens because they need to shuttle the aircraft to a different airport or something like that.

I've had that happen several times, specially when flying from hub to hub, like from ATL to DTW or vice versa. Always pleasant to arrive at the gate thinking that I'll be flying on a 737 but then I see an A350 or 777 attached to the jetway. I even got to fly a 747 domestically a few years back because of a last minute substitution. Even with a basic first class drink service, it was still a treat. 

Edited by Tapi

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Curious what the route was?  On some domestic transcontinental routes, Delta uses aircraft configured for Delta One and sells it as Delta One with full business class service.  Occasionally on other routes you will get the aircraft configured for Delta One but generally get the domestic first service.  Sometimes this happens because they need to shuttle the aircraft to a different airport or something like that.

Agreed, see above.  You might get the business class bedding or amenity kit, but doubtful the meal would be catered as the full multi-course D1 meal. 

The flight was a SFO-DTW flight.  Amenity kit was provided, but, checking my journal, the lunch was not a served multi-course lunch.  The lunch was better than what I have been offered on some domestic Delta First Class flights, though.  Drink service and my Flight Attendant service was better than a more recent Buenos Aires to Atlanta flight in Delta One.  

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I even got to fly a 747 domestically 

My biggest surprise as to what plane on which I was to fly was when TWA was still operating.  Booked a DAY-ORD flight and expected a 727.  Instead, it was a 707!  That was the only opportunity I had flying that aircraft.  Returning home, my flight was on a 727 as I had expected.  (And, I always liked that aircraft as well.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Why the 787?  Is it the size of the aircraft even though 3 variants exist?  Is it the lower cabin altitude compared to older aircraft?  Is it because you prefer Boeing aircraft as a Seattle resident?  Noise level?  Lack of real window shades?  To me, the only real factors might be the cabin air pressure at cruise or perhaps that it is a smaller aircraft.  For sure the cabin layout, amenities  and price depend on the carrier.

Not the Op but for me it is the pressurization.  I just feel better after, less jet lag, very helpful, flying to Asia!  Also  the bigger loos😄

7 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The 787 and the Airbus 350 are the next generation of airplanes.  Key changes was the move to composite body that enabled far larger windows, but the more subtle change was the move to a composite air frame  over the previous 747, 777, etc were Al.  This enabled higher internal pressure and higher humidity that reduced passenger fatigue and dehydration.

I used to fly weekly on 747 and 777 and then the route transitioned to 787, my favorite plan.  I would do the TPAC weekly and believe the difference in pressure( 6000ft versus 8000ft)/humidity ( 10-15% versus 5% ) was real but I would hydrate well and get up and move every couple hours.  I personally think getting up and moving and drinking a ton of water was more relevant. 

No question the new planes have better mood lighting, entertainment systems, seats etc. and all those make measurably difference too.  But think about being at 8000 feet and 5% humidity versus 6000ft and 15%, you'll feel different after 14 hours.

The 787 had cool pizoelectric sun shade while the 350 Airbus's latest still has traditional mechanical from what I recalled.  As much as I flew the 787 and want Boeing to be the leader, my few rides in Airbus feel that product is far more innovative and well engineered.  The 737Max versus the A321neo says it all about who took the better engineering approach and who didn't 😞

Edited by chipmaster

15 hours ago, chipmaster said:

... I would do the TPAC weekly and believe the difference in pressure( 6000ft versus 8000ft)/humidity ( 10-15% versus 5% ) was real but I would hydrate well and get up and move every couple hours.  I personally think getting up and moving and drinking a ton of water was more relevant. 

...  But think about being at 8000 feet and 5% humidity versus 6000ft and 15%, you'll feel different after 14 hours.

... The 737Max versus the A321neo says it all about who took the better engineering approach and who didn't 😞

The merger with MD, the HQ move to Chicago and the culture brought about by Harry Stonecipher really hurt Boeing in my opinion.

15 hours ago, bennybear said:

Not the Op but for me it is the pressurization.  I just feel better after, less jet lag, very helpful, flying to Asia!  Also  the bigger loos😄

This for me is the key factor as well.  I once flew home  pre-COVID while being sick on a long haul 787 and was dreading the prospect of the flight, but it actually was markedly better than what I had experienced on other older aircraft on shorter flights. 

I can't remember exactly, but the A380 also has a lower cabin altitude as well as the A350 and 787.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

The merger with MD, the HQ move to Chicago and the culture brought about by Harry Stonecipher really hurt Boeing in my opinion.

This for me is the key factor as well.  I once flew home  pre-COVID while being sick on a long haul 787 and was dreading the prospect of the flight, but it actually was markedly better than what I had experienced on other older aircraft on shorter flights. 

I can't remember exactly, but the A380 also has a lower cabin altitude as well as the A350 and 787.

Surprising.... one study of eight flights in Airbus A380 aircraft found a median cabin pressure altitude of 6,128 feet (1,868 m), and 65 flights in Boeing 747-400 aircraft found a median cabin pressure altitude of 5,159 feet (1,572 m)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

the HQ move to Chicago and the culture ....

....change for Boeing has had a significant negative influence on Boeing, in my opinion as a shareholder.  For at least two years, I have been consistently voting against on my proxy anything and anyone that is "recommended a vote for" and voting for "anything" that is "recommended as a vote against".  Trying to send a message in my very small way.  

21 hours ago, bennybear said:

Also  the bigger loos

In the 787?  Yet to fly on one of them, but that it another reason I would like to do so.  When the A350 and 777 were introduced and first flew on those planes, being larger, I expected larger bathrooms.  Well, I was surprised.  If anything, I think on the 777, the size shrunk.  No change on the A350, I don't recall.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In the 787?  Yet to fly on one of them, but that it another reason I would like to do so.  When the A350 and 777 were introduced and first flew on those planes, being larger, I expected larger bathrooms.  Well, I was surprised.  If anything, I think on the 777, the size shrunk.  No change on the A350, I don't recall.

There is usually a larger one designated as handicapped ... they are definitely larger.

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Delta must have specified "the smaller the better".

Check online for comments about the lavs on the newest AA 737s.  And this is being retrofitted to the rest of the fleet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/2018/05/30/american-airlines-tiny-new-bathrooms-test-limits-of-what-u-s-passengers-will-put-up-with/#1068044e5fc2

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-pilot-says-airlines-new-lavatory-miserable-experience-world/

On 7/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Thanks for the links.  Another reason I won't be flying AA in the future.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Which airline?  Which type of plane?  

Emirates A380 - First class shower spa room.  Showers currently not being offered due to virus concerns, but still there for first class lav use.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Emirates A380 - First class shower spa room.  Showers currently not being offered due to virus concerns, but still there for first class lav use.

I had a feeling that is was an A380; not sure that is was Emirates.   I doubt that I will ever be able to experience such a restroom.   

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

That airplane was designed and market for a business and route vision that never came to be, now all them airplanes are going to the graveyard, sad I didn't get to fly it before they all retire.