Hertz car hire after bankruptcy?

worldtraveller99

I have spent weeks contacting all our 13 suppliers (it is not just the 1 week cruise) to postpone our 3 week holiday from this July (sob) to July 2021. In emails to the very helpful Ryan at the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage I commented that we have just paid up front for 2 days Hertz car hire in Anchorage. He said Hertz has gone into bankruptcy?

They certainly took our money only last week! Are any of you in this position, and will Hertz still exist to have a car for us next July - or should I now panic with our credit card company to cancel that booking?  We are in London and I cannot find a UK phone number to call Hertz?

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I have spent weeks contacting all our 13 suppliers (it is not just the 1 week cruise) to postpone our 3 week holiday from this July (sob) to July 2021. In emails to the very helpful Ryan at the Captain Cook hotel in Anchorage I commented that we have just paid up front for 2 days Hertz car hire in Anchorage. He said Hertz has gone into bankruptcy?

They certainly took our money only last week! Are any of you in this position, and will Hertz still exist to have a car for us next July - or should I now panic with our credit card company to cancel that booking?  We are in London and I cannot find a UK phone number to call Hertz?

Hertz filed chapter 11 which is reorganization in May. This allows them to defer debt payments while they figure out how to stay afloat in a world where fewer people are flying or needing to rent cars.

That said they have cancelled all orders for cars for the rest of this year and are selling off a lot of cars.

What I see on the Anchorage website when I tell it I am from the UK https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=CANCELLATION1&EOAG=ANCT11

CANCELLATIONS 

1. Hertz allows you to cancel a prepaid reservation:

a. online by the 'Modify/Cancel' reservation page

b. by calling the Internet Helpdesk

2. A full refund of the prepaid reservation will be made:

a. If the cancellation is made no later than midnight two (2) days before the date of your scheduled pick-up;

b. Less an administrative charge of EUR 45.00, GBP 30.00, CHF 65.00, SEK 300.00, NOK 300.00, ZAR 450.00, DKK 300.00, AED 200.00, SAR 200.00, KWD 20.00, RUB 1,800.00, OMR 25.00, QAR 200.00, BHD 25.00, USD 60.00, PLN 200.00 if the cancellation is made after this time.

3. Refunds will be made to the credit card that the original booking was made on.

No modification administration charge will be made for changes made online.

How did you make your reservation, online? If online have you tried to cancel it and see if you get your money back?

A-

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

A lot of companies in the US do Chapter 11 bankruptcy which allows them to stay in business and re-organize their debts, etc... Several of our airlines and other companies have gone into bankruptcy multiple times.

Thank you all very much. The car was booked in my husband's name, and he has cancelled it, and we trust the money should be back on our credit card soon. I understand that Avis is only 7 short blocks from the hotel, so I shall wait till the autumn and probably book with them.

• 2 weeks later...

So - when I postponed our 2020 Alaska cruise from now (sob) to 2021 I attempted to recreate the whole 3 week trip and asked to postpone the Hertz car pick up from Seward, to drive to Anchorage etc. They told me the cost of the car in 2021 for 3 days would be £3,600! From that I gathered that the Seward Hertz has closed. 

So we asked the cruise company to include us in their coach transfer to Anchorage - though that wastes the day we would have enjoyed driving up, oh well. I then booked 2 days car hire from Hertz in Anchorage in 2021, which was ok, but having found out they were going out of business I asked them to refund that money - and they have, it's on our credit card.

At the end of the year I will probably book those 2 days for next July from Avis in Anchorage downtown. But I am not booking anything more now - eg all the flights I need to book again! - until the end of the year in case 2021 is a disaster too. !x

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

So - when I postponed our 2020 Alaska cruise from now (sob) to 2021 I attempted to recreate the whole 3 week trip and asked to postpone the Hertz car pick up from Seward, to drive to Anchorage etc. They told me the cost of the car in 2021 for 3 days would be £3,600! From that I gathered that the Seward Hertz has closed. 

So we asked the cruise company to include us in their coach transfer to Anchorage - though that wastes the day we would have enjoyed driving up, oh well. I then booked 2 days car hire from Hertz in Anchorage in 2021, which was ok, but having found out they were going out of business I asked them to refund that money - and they have, it's on our credit card.

At the end of the year I will probably book those 2 days for next July from Avis in Anchorage downtown. But I am not booking anything more now - eg all the flights I need to book again! - until the end of the year in case 2021 is a disaster too. !x

I'd suggest not being so quick to take the cruise transfer.     There are several other options,  that would be superior.   All the cruise transfers,  leave early morning-  causing you to miss-  Seward,  which is excellent with varied activities.    

Park Connections runs reliable bus service,  and the Alaska RR is just fantastic scenery-  some could say, an excursion of it's self.    The benefit of using the RR is,  you are looking at Avis downtown for a car rental pick up?    That is a convenient option to consider.   

Frankly-  there is NO need to book any ship transfer now.    They will sell them on the ship.    

It was included in the fare, Budget Queen, and is simpler to do. I have just rearranged our 2 days in Anchorage to drive back to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on the next day. I know I am missing Seward, but we are seeing lots of other places in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

It was included in the fare, Budget Queen, and is simpler to do. I have just rearranged our 2 days in Anchorage to drive back to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on the next day. I know I am missing Seward, but we are seeing lots of other places in 3 weeks.

The transfer is a separate charge,   your post states you requested it.   

I'd suggest-  you also consider Girdwood-  maybe the tram,  Winner Creek Trail,   a ride out to Hope,  Portage Glacier Visitor Center.    Alternatively-   I give the Wildlife Conservatory a low rank,   compared to a PWS boat tour, and the in the wild wildlife opportunities.-    which could also perhaps be a consideration?