SO WHAT DO YOU THINK, HAVE WE LEARNED ANYTHING? - Part 2

Spif Barwunkel

On 7/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Prost Seattle said:

I hope Celebrity and RCL have been learning lessons as well.  A robust IT and accurate website would go a long way to easing customer concerns.  

You must be kidding? They haven't been able to get it right during years of profit and growth, no way they're going to during this catastrophe. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

You must be kidding? They haven't been able to get it right during years of profit and growth, no way they're going to during this catastrophe. 

Yep.

They always seemed to outsource their IT and web development to the lowest bidder.  Which was always the least capable. And developed really, really bad code and web interaction.

Which likely cost them millions in lost bookings, lost shore excursion income, lost ancillary income.

Penny wise and pound foolish was written for their hamhanded approach. 

I doubt Europeans and American have learned anything. You will see that after the government announces that everything is over people will forget in a moment all the precautions and will start acting fool again. Its sad but this is how people are. I wish we will get wiser some day.. or at least our kids 

My DH and I left the Reflection on March 2 after the Mardi Gras Caribbean Cruise.  We were in a RS and absolutely loved our first time on a cruise with just the two of us! (No adult children, parents or friends.)  We are grateful to have had this time to ourselves on such a wonderful ship!  We were so ready to reserve for next year....but then COVID reared its nasty head!  I know that as health professionals, it will be years before we will ever be on ship again.  I am very, very sad.  We had such a wonderful vacation on the Reflection that I was counting on more to come!  I understand our world has changed and that not being able to cruise is truly a first world problem.

Image may contain: text

Please take care......every life matters. 

Pam

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Dr. Pam said:

My DH and I left the Reflection on March 2 after the Mardi Gras Caribbean Cruise.  We were in a RS and absolutely loved our first time on a cruise with just the two of us! (No adult children, parents or friends.)  We are grateful to have had this time to ourselves on such a wonderful ship!  We were so ready to reserve for next year....but then COVID reared its nasty head!  I know that as health professionals, it will be years before we will ever be on ship again.  I am very, very sad.  We had such a wonderful vacation on the Reflection that I was counting on more to come!  I understand our world has changed and that not being able to cruise is truly a first world problem.

Image may contain: text

Please take care......every life matters. 

Pam

Thank you Dr. Pam. We can not be reminded enough about the mutual responsibility that we all have toward one another. Indeed, that obligation is in place at all times but should be especially evident in times of crisis.

• Like 2

Never book with a non-refundable deposit.

Book as close to cruise date as possible.

Don't even think about making the final deposit unless cruises are actually taking place.

This is a tough time for the cruise industry but I don't want them to keep me hostage over a possible refund months after I expire.

(With a non-transferable FCC, what happens if either I or my spouse "passes" before we get a chance to cruise?)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Never book with a non-refundable deposit.

Book as close to cruise date as possible.

Don't even think about making the final deposit unless cruises are actually taking place.

I did the opposite before the pandemic, Book on board with NRD and 2 years in advance, now prices are up to 80% higher.

I have learned to be patient and trust that we will return to cruise, the future is uncertain, we hope that everything improves in the future.

Take care and be healthy.

I've certainly learned many things, but as related to cruising, one thing I've learned is that a large, big-box online cruise agency is NOT the same as having a good TA.  I do have one person there I really enjoy working with and once I was able to contact her she took good care of us.  But trying to make that contact was frustrating in the extreme.   I am very unsure as to whether I want to ever go with that company again.  On the other hand, in normal times they are very good to me and the perks are often worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars.  A tough decision.

• Like 1

I've learned that Celebrity doesn't keep it's word.  My FCCs were finally issued this week.  With a March 2021 expiration date.  Even though my TA's rep stated IN WRITING that they would have a December 31, 2021 expiration date.  With a March 2021 date, they are useless to me.  So now a whole new fight begins.  I really don't like doing business with these folks.

• Like 1

I am afraid we will have issues with our FCC..it  states it expires 12 /31 /2021 but have been told it will be extended...

Hoping to use it in Jan 2021, but if that cruise does not go, we will have to look for a substitue for using up the fcc...

We have an APEX  final payment due before the end of 2021  but the sailing is in Jan 2022 so may not qualify.  The language in our fcc says must sail by....12/31

Celeb has not handled the fcc issue well and we have learned to avoid getting one at all costs!

Edited by hcat

With this whole mess I have learned, 1) TA's are really necessary. My wife is one & has been able to help people out through this time. She spent the hours on hold, knew the questions to ask & knew the people to talk to. Lesson #2 never trust Celebrity to protect your safety & health. They will lie to passengers & local authorities to protect their bottom line. Some of the changes that will be made to the cruise industry will be due to their poor decisions. 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've learned that Celebrity doesn't keep it's word.  My FCCs were finally issued this week.  With a March 2021 expiration date.  Even though my TA's rep stated IN WRITING that they would have a December 31, 2021 expiration date.  With a March 2021 date, they are useless to me.  So now a whole new fight begins.  I really don't like doing business with these folks.

Sorry you are having to deal with this.  Where does it end?!?  As a fellow long time cruiser I know you know that Celebrity is famous for their consistent inconsistency.  But this is ridiculous.  I know you sail in suites and sail often so I imagine you have spent hundreds of thousands on Celebrity over the years which makes this even more ridiculous.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  I know times are tough, but good leadership, good management, and good communication are key to making the most of a bad situation.  Celebrity has stumbled on all three IMHO.

• Like 2

It’s too bad none of the Cruise Lines are handling things any better than Celebrity.   All those with problems should stop cruising for all of the companies are having the same issues.    If you find one that knows how to handle a pandemic and can control government entities, go with them.   We are at the mercy of the EU, US and British governments and they will decide when and how we can vacation.    The cruise lines can no longer control their companies because of government interference.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It’s too bad none of the Cruise Lines are handling things any better than Celebrity.   All those with problems should stop cruising for all of the companies are having the same issues.    If you find one that knows how to handle a pandemic and can control government entities, go with them.   We are at the mercy of the EU, US and British governments and they will decide when and how we can vacation.    The cruise lines can no longer control their companies because of government interference.   

Somehow I don't think the governments are telling the cruiselines what dates to put on their FCCs.  Or running their accounting departments.  Yes, the governments have a say on whether or not the cruiselines can enter their ports.  Let's stick to the facts here.

• Like 3

All the cruise lines have and are continuing to show contempt for their customers. Happy Cruiser 6143's situation is yet another example.

This approach comes from the top, LLP and above.  It is my opinion that the arrogant cruise line behavior regarding FCC's etc, marketing cruises that have a high probability of not happening etc, promoting the "free" included beverage packages and on and on - is due to the many years of "obedient consumer" behavior exhibited by many cruisers - repeated bookings despite downgrading etc. Many cruisers accepted higher prices and lesser product, over and over since about 2015. 

So essentially many cruisers are now "reaping what they sowed". As Ann Landers said "nobody can abuse you without you first giving your approval".

If you wish to fight back as a consumer, do not take FCC's - get a refund for a cancelled cruise via credit card dispute. Send a message to the cruise lines. 

First rule of being a consumer, trust no service provider and always be suspicious.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:40 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That is just bad business and a very poor way to treat long time customers.  It is not even likely that any cruising will happen by March 2021 at this point.

22 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

One hopes the Cruise lines have learned some better ways.  Their  failings for the most part are their own...gov only complicated some things..but  is not responsible for poor, greedy  unresponsive, tone deaf mgmnt

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

That is just bad business and a very poor way to treat long time customers.  It is not even likely that any cruising will happen by March 2021 at this point.

Yup.  The certificates were reissued promptly today.  Stating that they had to be used on a cruise taken prior to March 2021.  Now let me see, how the hell am I supposed to do that?  These FCCs were replacements for ones I used in partial payment for a May cruise that was cancelled by Celebrity in March 2020.  Celebrity hasn't been sailing since then.  It's unclear that they will be sailing in March 2021.  Either they're absolute idiots in corporate or they don't give a sh** about their customers.  Probably a bit of both.  I've always maintained that if shore side ran the ships, they'd all be at the bottom of the sea.  Here's proof of that theory.  I do have 38 nights booked with these twits in 2021.  Perhaps I shall have to cancel all those bookings to get their attention?  I'd still be out $700.  I am not a happy cruiser at the moment!

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Yup.  The certificates were reissued promptly today.  Stating that they had to be used on a cruise taken prior to March 2021.  Now let me see, how the hell am I supposed to do that?  These FCCs were replacements for ones I used in partial payment for a May cruise that was cancelled by Celebrity in March 2020.  Celebrity hasn't been sailing since then.  It's unclear that they will be sailing in March 2021.  Either they're absolute idiots in corporate or they don't give a sh** about their customers.  Probably a bit of both.  I've always maintained that if shore side ran the ships, they'd all be at the bottom of the sea.  Here's proof of that theory.  I do have 38 nights booked with these twits in 2021.  Perhaps I shall have to cancel all those bookings to get their attention?  I'd still be out $700.  I am not a happy cruiser at the moment!

I guess I would grin and bear it playing their game-their rules until I got all of my money back and not book anything else.   Then I would probably find another cruise line.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:22 AM, Doubt It said:

As Ann Landers said "nobody can abuse you without you first giving your approval".

Sounds like she might have been paraphrasing Eleanor Roosevelt. 

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

23 hours ago, hcat said:

One hopes the Cruise lines have learned some better ways.  Their  failings for the most part are their own...gov only complicated some things..but  is not responsible for poor, greedy  unresponsive, tone deaf mgmnt

Hcat - perfectly said.

There are few other corporations that I hold in such contempt as the cruise lines. I have been better served by hotel chains, medical service chains etc.

A lot of their arrogant behavior to customers is what they have learned they can get away with during the last 8 years of robust growth in their industry.

Oh how the mighty have fallen - it looks good on them - I am only sorry for the dear innocent staff aboard and in their offices who are taking the brunt of the senior management and executive level arrogance.

No more patronage of cruise lines for me until I see real, substantive and long term attitude changes.

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I guess I would grin and bear it playing their game-their rules until I got all of my money back and not book anything else.   Then I would probably find another cruise line.

I'm certainly not booking anything else at the moment.  I do want my $700.  And the cruises I currently have booked for 2021 are replacement for 2020 cruises I really wanted to do.  All unusual itineraries.

• Like 1

We cancelled under cruise with confidence .....no refund ..just fcc.....rebooked had that cruise cancelled....rebooked again...November 2020......Questionable.....we have over 7000 tied up with Celebrity.....and may never get to use it......We use to have 4 to 6 cruises booked at one time.....will never do that again...if they would have offered  To refund our money, we would have rebooked in a minute.  This may well be our last cruise with Celebrity, if we ever get to take it.