Customs at YVR airport

Hello.  I have a 7:00am flight out of YVR to Chicago.  Will I have to go through customs first?  The reason I am asking is that I have a 1.5 hour connection in Chicago and need to know if I'll have to go through Customs in Chicago, or is it taken care of in Vancouver.

Also, is 7:00am too early?  I will be staying at the Fairmont Airport Hotel.

Thank you.

Yes you will go through US Immigration at the Vancouver Airport, for a 7:00 a.m. flight you should be there between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m.  Luckily staying at the Fairmont you can just take the elevator down to the airport.

I'd agree with everything above - it's basically pointless arriving before 5am as CBP are still dealing with the backlog of folks who started queuing before they opened at 4:30am, but since we got the Kiosks installed several years ago even huge queue of folks is processed within the first half hour.

Chicago - even though O'Hare (no flights from YVR to Midway) can involve a lengthy walk to the next gate you should be fine with 90mins, it's just as if you were on a Domestic transfer since you Precleared at YVR. If your flight lands on time, you may even be able to grab a quick bite (I always try to grab a Torta at Frontera whenever I pass through O'Hare, it's one of the better foodie airports especially thanks to the 'same price as downtown' policy).

If the connecting flight in Chicago is on the same airline the gate should be in the same terminal. If not you, you will have to take a shuttle bus to different terminal which will result in more time. 1 1/2 hrs. should be plenty of time.