Switching O ships on turnaround day....

Kate-AHF

I'm sure one or two of the cruisers on this board have done this, and I'm interested in how it plays out.  We will be disembarking Sirena and embarking Marina in the same port on the same day.  

Do we collect our luggage as usual and then walk it down to Marina and beg that they take the luggage early?

I would guess that we would not be eligible to take an in-transit tour on Sirena, as we would have disembarked, and not on Marina either as we would not yet have embarked.  So it seems to me the best idea would be to arrange for a private shorex from the port.... as I can't see hauling around our hand luggage w/meds on public transportation all day.

Thoughts?

You could ask the concierge on the first cruise  if you can drop off bags  early

On turnaround day I have seen people dropping bags about 9 am  then go into town  or take a tour  until check in time

• Like 1

One can drop bags, under normal conditions, sometimes as early as 9:00, but by 10:00 almost always.

Take a late disembarkment, 9:00ish, collect your bags and wander down to the new cruise bag drop area. Shouldn’t be a long wait. Then head off to town. Under the newly announced protocols, it does sound like they will allow crowds to gather and hang out, pre cruise, at the terminal. 

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

I'm sure one or two of the cruisers on this board have done this, and I'm interested in how it plays out.  We will be disembarking Sirena and embarking Marina in the same port on the same day.  

Do we collect our luggage as usual and then walk it down to Marina and beg that they take the luggage early?

I would guess that we would not be eligible to take an in-transit tour on Sirena, as we would have disembarked, and not on Marina either as we would not yet have embarked.  So it seems to me the best idea would be to arrange for a private shorex from the port.... as I can't see hauling around our hand luggage w/meds on public transportation all day.

Thoughts?

If you are speaking of the June 3, 2021 where both ships are in Southampton, it could be not as simple as walking from one ship down the pier to another.  the Southampton port operation is huge and could require taxi transport from one dock to another.  Each time we have either come into or departed from this port on Oceania ships, it has been a different dock.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/admin/content/files/PDF_Downloads/Southampton Map 2014.pdf

Edited by arima22
  • Like 1

It sounds as if I may not have to beg for Marina to take on our luggage early, and I will try to work something out while on board Sirena.

Because as was pointed out that the ships may not dock behind one-another, I will pursue a private shore-x for the day to pick us up at Sirena, and then drop off luggage at Marina before heading out for the day.  I love it when a plan comes together.  Off to research something fun to see outside of Southampton (which we will have already covered on our pre-cruise)

Thanks all for the help!

45 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Off to research something fun to see outside of Southampton (which we will have already covered on our pre-cruise)

Spend the day in beautiful Bath (if you haven't been there already). Or get tickets for Highclere Castle 🙂

Salisbury with the Magna Carta is close by as well.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

Off to research something fun to see outside of Southampton (which we will have already covered on our pre-cruise)

There's always Stonehenge not far away. I went after an overnight flight on a misty morning and it was quite surreal. All I needed was a little Pink Floyd in ear buds, but didn't plan that far ahead. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Spend the day in beautiful Bath (if you haven't been there already). Or get tickets for Highclere Castle 🙂

Salisbury with the Magna Carta is close by as well.

Oh, you just made this hard.  I was thinking Winchester (which i have not seen since I was 13, and it's a little fuzzy) or Beauliex or New Forest.  But.... Bath!  Why didn't I think of that - we haven't been there before.  

So MUCH to see in this life, so little time in which to see it. 🙂

• Like 1

Bath is great, but not practical. 1 hr 45 min drive each way, probably 2 hours to City Center. Only leaves a few hours to see the Baths and the beautiful City with its unique architecture. Save it for a trip when you can either spend an entire day or overnight.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Oh, you just made this hard.  I was thinking Winchester (which i have not seen since I was 13, and it's a little fuzzy) or Beauliex or New Forest.  But.... Bath!  Why didn't I think of that - we haven't been there before.  

So MUCH to see in this life, so little time in which to see it. 🙂

How about going to see the Queen at Windsor Castle.  It's about an hour from Southampton.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Bath is great, but not practical. 1 hr 45 min drive each way, probably 2 hours to City Center. Only leaves a few hours to see the Baths and the beautiful City with its unique architecture. Save it for a trip when you can either spend an entire day or overnight.

It depends on when the ship leaves.

If you disembark at 8AM, have a guide wait for you, you can be in Bath by 10 AM. You can see a lot in 5 hours and leave at 3 PM.

If your ship sails at 5PM, that's a different story.

Southampton port really is huge and nothing is close. 

Bath is not close at all. 

I would suggest getting a private tour to the New Forest and maybe Winchester, both are close by and lovely.

Never underestimate the traffic around Southampton.  

• Like 1

Annnnnd.... I have a short list (in no particular order)

Salisbury (no Stonehenge)

Beauliex/New Forest

Winchester

Arundel Castle

We'll spend a couple of weeks reviewing online video and decide (Super recent video up from Salisbury Museum, for instance).  We are hoping for  Scottish barge cruise in 2022, coupled with a lengthy land tour.  We can see Bath then.

4 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Annnnnd.... I have a short list (in no particular order)

Salisbury (no Stonehenge)

Beauliex/New Forest

Winchester

Arundel Castle

We'll spend a couple of weeks reviewing online video and decide (Super recent video up from Salisbury Museum, for instance).  We are hoping for  Scottish barge cruise in 2022, coupled with a lengthy land tour.  We can see Bath then.

I highly recommend Winchester for your day.  Easy to get to (only 20 minutes by train if you want to DIY) with a beautiful cathedral and my beloved Jane Austen buried there plus fascinating medieval ruins. 

I have a question on this. Will Oceania, or its employees act as a third party in this? Without your presence, will they collect your luggage, transport it to another ship, and check it in? All this, especially in a foreign land, where we don’t know customs and immigration policies.

With freight forwarders here in the States, one still has be be present ,sign the documents, and assure the count, to have the luggage taken. You can’t just leave it in the front porch and hide! 

I believe you will need to be present to collect your luggage and check it in. You can have assistance in doing those tasks, but I think your presence is required, but I may be wrong. 

when you decide where you are going either by private tour or train

get picked up at the 1st ship  then ask driver to go to 2nd ship to drop bags

or if a private tour put bags in the boot until you return

I see the ship sails at 6pm so you want to be back by 4pm at the latest

there are also some bag storage places in Southampton  fee based  if you want to avoid

You could ask on the Britain forum what time bags can be dropped

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I have a question on this. Will Oceania, or its employees act as a third party in this? Without your presence, will they collect your luggage, transport it to another ship, and check it in? All this, especially in a foreign land, where we don’t know customs and immigration policies.

With freight forwarders here in the States, one still has be be present ,sign the documents, and assure the count, to have the luggage taken. You can’t just leave it in the front porch and hide! 

I believe you will need to be present to collect your luggage and check it in. You can have assistance in doing those tasks, but I think your presence is required, but I may be wrong. 

We've used Luggage Forward for a couple of years.  We do complete the paperwork and attach it, but we absolutely leave the luggage on the side porch and it's picked up.  Now, I need to say that we live on a farm in the middle of Nowhere, Virginia.  No one ha any problems with porch theft.

I intend to ask about expediting the luggage transfer while onboard Sirena.  The cruise is Southampton to Southampton, so really no customs issues, I think.  That said, I do believe you are right.... it's going to be on us to get the luggage across the port to Marina.  And that's fine.