Silver Wind re-fit (conversion)

philipb

On 7/8/2020 at 6:34 PM, cruiseej said:

We are booked on a December Wind trip which we aren't going to go on, should it actually sail. We asked out travel agent to move us to the same cruise next year, and she said after talking to her contacts at Silversea that we should stay put a little longer pending some additional word from Silversea. I don't know if that's a hint that they'll be canceling this year's Wind cruises, or that nest year's pricing will be reduced, or something else... we're waiting to see what develops before we get to 120 days out.

Thanks for this information. We are booked on the November 20th 2020 sailing, but with the issues of flying to Chile and Argentina, and questions about whether or not it will be safe to cruise by then, we are also thinking of canceling and transferring to 2021. I will hold off for a few days and see if there is any news.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, cruiseej said:

We are booked on a December Wind trip which we aren't going to go on, should it actually sail. We asked out travel agent to move us to the same cruise next year, and she said after talking to her contacts at Silversea that we should stay put a little longer pending some additional word from Silversea. I don't know if that's a hint that they'll be canceling this year's Wind cruises, or that nest year's pricing will be reduced, or something else... we're waiting to see what develops before we get to 120 days out.

Well, here's a bit of news that might be pertinent to that.  Earlier this month, our June 2021 cruise on the Cloud was postponed to 2022 because it was a segment of the Expedition World Cruise, which was moved in toto to 2022.  With our credit, we booked a cruise on the Wind for May 2021, London Tower Bridge round trip.  Looking at My Silversea today, I see that that the ship for this cruise is now the Silver Cloud, not the Wind.  The voyage number has changed too, but the itinerary seems to be same.  We are fine with either ship.

On the Silversea website, the cruise is still listed as being on the Wind.

So, if the Cloud is picking up the Wind voyages, what is happening with the Wind?

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

So, if the Cloud is picking up the Wind voyages, what is happening with the Wind?

Indeed, that's what we'd like to know! Maybe this is just a mix-up in their computer systems (certainly not an unprecedented occurrence) as they're constantly reshuffling future cruises. But if Silversea has decided to delay the renovation of the Wind, then it should notify all the customers booked on the Wind for the Antarctica cruises this winter. Yet the Silverseas website still shows all those cruises available for booking. While I understood the confusion and lack of communication when the pandemic threw everything into chaos back in March, there's not really much of an excuse now for playing games with or deceiving  customers who have invested a large sum of money on these cruises.

It happens that we hit 120 days from our scheduled December 19, 2020 cruise on the exact same day the Wind is scheduled to begin its dry dock in Malta next month. So if they don't announce what's going on with the Wind in the next few weeks, they'll simply push us to cancel and, with that treatment, take our money back rather than booking for next year. 

15 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Well, here's a bit of news that might be pertinent to that.  Earlier this month, our June 2021 cruise on the Cloud was postponed to 2022 because it was a segment of the Expedition World Cruise, which was moved in toto to 2022.  With our credit, we booked a cruise on the Wind for May 2021, London Tower Bridge round trip.  Looking at My Silversea today, I see that that the ship for this cruise is now the Silver Cloud, not the Wind.  The voyage number has changed too, but the itinerary seems to be same.  We are fine with either ship.

On the Silversea website, the cruise is still listed as being on the Wind.

Our September 2021 Tower Bridge to Lisbon is still listed as the Wind on My Silversea.

18 hours ago, cruiseej said:

It happens that we hit 120 days from our scheduled December 19, 2020 cruise on the exact same day the Wind is scheduled to begin its dry dock in Malta next month. So if they don't announce what's going on with the Wind in the next few weeks, they'll simply push us to cancel and, with that treatment, take our money back rather than booking for next year. 

We are on the same cruise. Maybe we better look at transferring to the Cloud on January 5th. almost the same itinerary and three less days?    

6 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

We are on the same cruise. Maybe we better look at transferring to the Cloud on January 5th. almost the same itinerary and three less days?    

@carefreecruise  The January 4, 2021 trip skips the Falkland Islands (2 days) and has one fewer days in the Antarctic. We figure this is a once in a lifetime trip, so the more days, the better the chance of seeing great scenery and wildlife -- but I don't know how meaningful those days really are. And several of our group are still working, so doing it over the holidays works better for us.

But we've decided we don't want to travel this winter even if these cruises are sailing. It seems iffy to me that they'll go to remote locations where there's no quick access to land-based medical locations, but if they do, we want to wait until there is (hopefully) a vaccine next year. So we're thinking of switching to the holiday cruise next winter, which is the same as this year's holiday cruise. But our TA advised me last month to wait for an announcement by Silversea because they might sweeten the pot for us if they cancel our cruise. So we've got a few more weeks we'll wait to see if Silversea says anything about the Wind plans -- and then we'll bail out for either next year or take our money back and wait to see what develops.

17 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

We just did this January 15d Cloud trip to S. Georgia, Elephant Island, and the Antarctic Peninsula earlier this year. We also did Antarctica in December 2009 on Silver Explorer (straight 11d Ush/Ush with 5+ days there).

The time in Antarctica proper with the 15d trip is a bit less than optimal, but tolerable to us since (1) we got to see South Georgia, and (2) we have done Antarctica before. We didn't feel like we missed stuff the second time, though we would have been perfectly happy to spend more time.

Comparing the 15d to the 18d itinerary with an extra day on the Peninsula - if you've never been there, take the 18d, and see as much of Antarctica as you can. If you have been, then take South Georgia and Elephant Island, which are amazing places in their own right, and skip the extra day.

17 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@carefreecruise  The January 4, 2021 trip skips the Falkland Islands (2 days) and has one fewer days in the Antarctic. We figure this is a once in a lifetime trip, so the more days, the better the chance of seeing great scenery and wildlife -- but I don't know how meaningful those days really are. And several of our group are still working, so doing it over the holidays works better for us.

But we've decided we don't want to travel this winter even if these cruises are sailing. It seems iffy to me that they'll go to remote locations where there's no quick access to land-based medical locations, but if they do, we want to wait until there is (hopefully) a vaccine next year. So we're thinking of switching to the holiday cruise next winter, which is the same as this year's holiday cruise. But our TA advised me last month to wait for an announcement by Silversea because they might sweeten the pot for us if they cancel our cruise. So we've got a few more weeks we'll wait to see if Silversea says anything about the Wind plans -- and then we'll bail out for either next year or take our money back and wait to see what develops.

If it's true then waiting a few more weeks may turn out great for getting 125 percent future credits and 18 days loyalty days. It looks at this time the Wind is not going to make it for December this year and who know when it's new schedule for re-set. So good luck for you and we will try to switch to the Cloud and ask for some relief on costs. 

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

If  you have been, then take South Georgia and Elephant Island, which are amazing places in their own right, and skip the extra day.

Yes this will be our second time but kinda think something Covid will stop something. We were scheduled on the Cloud but switched to the Wind. So I guess we will jump ships back to the Cloud. I will call to see if our room is still available 

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Yeah, we've pretty much given up traveling again for this year. It's so discouraging.

Yes I am getting very discouraged. Three big trips canceled this year. Losing prepaid, non cancelable hotels, getting vouchers for airlines I may never use again and fighting with A&K to get a Ponant  cruise refund.

Its taken all the wind out of my sails and losing all the enthusiasm for traveling. Hope I snap out of it before the end of the year... 

12 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Its taken all the wind out of my sails and losing all the enthusiasm for traveling. Hope I snap out of it before the end of the year... 

I know exactly how you feel.  We have had 2 trips canceled with a third, not officially canceled yet, but will be I’m sure.  Also with CCL selling 13 ships, one of the other lines we normally might use will be left with only mega ships and we are not interested in them.  So, in addition to cancelations, future choices are getting more limited.  Mrs Banjo and I have pretty much decided on no cruising until at least 2022.  That might change if a vaccine becomes widely available,  we’ll just have to wait and see.

17 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Yeah, we've pretty much given up traveling again for this year. It's so discouraging.

Same here.  We have no plans to go anywhere the rest of the year and nobody is coming to visit.   My wife goes to her office once a week on Monday and works from home the rest of the   week.   I’ve put a whole 375 miles on a new car I got three months ago.   We have spent the whole summer in “Puerto Backyardo”.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Same here........“Puerto Backyardo”   

Funny we are in the same port, but so far haven't seen you!  Ha Mrs Banjo and I aren't even looking at the moment.  We are waiting for some clarity before making commitments

• Thanks 1

This has been a useful thread, thanks for the insight. I just found it today and am booked on the Wind for December 5 Antarctica and need to decide to cancel or not by the end of the week.

Just read on another forum the December 19th 2020 itinerary has been officially cancelled on the Silver Wind. I guess that means all the itineraries before that, on the Silver Wind are also cancelled. Does anyone know if Silversea will refund our flights bought independently? Thanks.

This Dated today on Silversea site:

INFORMATION ON THE
COMMENCEMENT OF TRAVEL

July 28, 2020

While we have suspended all current voyages with your wellbeing in mind, we understand that you may be waiting to travel once again. A common trait among all those with a passion for discovery: rough waters only strengthen our yearning to explore the authentic beauty of our planet.

Silversea’s mission is to support you in traveling our beautiful world in safety, comfort and luxury and with the interest of commencing operations as soon as it will be safe to do so Silversea is currently proceeding with a “rolling” cancellation system in which we always cancel cruises only when we know that we won’t be able to operate these for sure avoiding to cancel the ones on which there is still a possibility of resumption. We are doing our utmost best to take the best decisions in a very uncertain time and we will keep updating this page with the latest information.

Silversea’s global family looks forward to reunite as soon as possible as our ships hopefully recommence their itineraries around the world:

Silver Cloud:

•     E4201028019 - Silver Cloud will set sail on October 28, 2020

Silver Wind:

•     WI201111010 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from November 11, 2020

Silver Shadow:

•     SS201110015 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from November 10, 2020

Silver Spirit:

•     SL201105017 - Silver Spirit will set sail on November 5, 2020

Silver Muse:

•     SM201010021 - From October 10, 2020, Silver Muse will resume sailing

Silver Whisper:

•     WH201110010 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from November 10, 2020

Silver Explorer:

•     E1201020011 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from October 20, 2020

Silver Moon:

•     MO201002010 - Silver Moon will set sail on November 8, 2020

Silver Origin:

•     OR200919007 - From September 19, 2020, Silver Origin will resume sailing

Site Link:

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Good to see that SS are still maintaining the fantasy Silver Moon crossing for Nov 8th.

It will be sailing full of Americans unable to enter Europe and Europeans unable to enter the US.

What could possibly go wrong!

Meanwhile Heathrow just cancelled my car park booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wait, I'm confused...

9 hours ago, vcd said:

Just read on another forum the December 19th 2020 itinerary has been officially cancelled on the Silver Wind. I guess that means all the itineraries before that, on the Silver Wind are also cancelled.

9 hours ago, mspjerry said:

This Dated today on Silversea site:

Silver Wind:

•     WI201111010 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from November 11, 2020

These seem to be saying opposite things. Can someone clarify? @vcd can you point to the source website that says all the Wind winter cruises are canceled?

1 minute ago, cruiseej said:

Wait, I'm confused...

These seem to be saying opposite things. Can someone clarify? @vcd can you point to the source website that says all the Wind winter cruises are canceled?

Yes your right. It's only rumors right now. Silversea will be clarifying this in two weeks I guess. They need to have the new schedule for the Wind and come up with offers on moving passengers to the sister ship. Just wait and all will be reviled soon. 

This is also weird… on the Silversea website, it still shows both the Cloud and Wind in Antarctica this winter, but the Cloud cruises are listed as "Expedition Cruise" and the Wind ones are not. 

1631556816_ScreenShot2020-07-28at10_46_00PM.thumb.png.1c616741783610abfa0961927493d81d.png

And having posed the various questions above, it's now all moot: this morning, I received an email from Silversea that our  December 19, 2020 Silver Wind cruise is canceled. (Even though it's still listed for sale on the website.)  We're trying to decide whether to move our booking to the comparable December 2021 cruise or to get our cash back and wait to see how the world develops over the next few months. If we move to a new booking, we get a 110% FCC; when did they stop doing 125% for canceled cruises?

The email indicates that the Silver Cloud will be sailing the Antartica itineraries this winter. We're not interested in traveling this year, so we're not considering that option.  I wonder how realistic it is that those cruises will actually sail.

The big question for us is whether to gamble that Silversea will survive the uncertain future of the coronavirus, or to take our money off the table. It's a lot of money to have at risk!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Wait, I'm confused...

On the Facebook page for Silversea passengers

The Silversea website has also been updated since my post last night: it appears all Wind cruises have been scrubbed until June 14, 2021. So maybe they're pushing the dry dock from this August until next March or April? They still list Antarctica cruises for next winter, so they must be planing the refurbishment before then.