How Will RCL Handle the EU Ban Against the US?

1 minute ago, TravelerThom said:

I thought the common carrier is always responsible for checking that your paperwork is in order for admission to your destination country, before they allow you to board. The carrier is both subject to fine if you are not admissible and financially responsible to get you to destination that will accept you. 
https://airlines.iata.org/analysis/document-verification-travel-trouble

Not what I'm saying.  The airline isn't responsible if you never make it to the airport to check in for your flight.  As far as the airline is concerned you are a no-show. 

i.e. - A Canadian books a flight from Detroit to Rome.  Canadian leave home in Ontario on the way to Detroit, reaches US border and is turned away by CBP.  The airline in Detroit isn't responsible for your entry into the US to start your flight from Detroit.  You get nothing back from the airline for missing your flight.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes it ends Aug 1 but it applies to any booking made prior to Aug 1.  That part does not go away.

it offers toy the ability to cancel up to 48 hours prior to the date of sailing and get a 200% FCC without penalty and gets you price drops up to 48 hours prior to the day of sailing.  Those 2 things remain in place for all bookings made prior to Aug 1.  Everything else goes away.  

Only cruises booked before Aug.1 are eligible for CWC but the moment RCI says CWC is bye bye, it's bye bye.  It doesn't matter when you booked your cruise once CWC has been cancelled. 

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Only cruises booked before Aug.1 are eligible for CWC but the moment RCI says CWC is bye bye, it's bye bye.  It doesn't matter when you booked your cruise once CWC has been cancelled. 

The terms and conditions of CWC state that it applies to all bookings made before Aug 1.  It doesn’t get much clearer than that but go ahead and continue on With believing that Royal won’t honour the CWC that the6 have been heavily promoting. 

There  is absolutely no reason to think that once the CWC ends that it means any of the benefits that were promised to people under the CWC will be lost when they were specifically told they would apply.  

All the ending of the CWC means is that the CWC won’t apply to bookings made after Aug 1.  Those that book after Aug. 1 won’t be allowed to cancel without penalty, they won’t be eligible for price drops and they can’t cancel 48 hours prior to date of sailing.  Those that booked before Aug 1 will still retain all of those perks.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

I thought the common carrier is always responsible for checking that your paperwork is in order for admission to your destination country, before they allow you to board. The carrier is both subject to fine if you are not admissible and financially responsible to get you to destination that will accept you. 

The carrier that brings you to a destination is responsible for making sure you are eligible to enter that country. So if there was a TA and you got to Spain withing being eligible to enter Spain, the cruise line at a minimum has to take you back. They can't just dump you at the port in BCN.

But if you are flying Delta to BCN to start your cruise there, it's Delta's responsibility to make sure you can enter Spain, not RCL's. RCL is the reason you are traveling to Spain, not the carrier. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The terms and conditions of CWC state that it applies to all bookings made before Aug 1.  It doesn’t get much clearer than that but go ahead and continue on With believing that Royal won’t honour the CWC that the6 have been heavily promoting. 

There  is absolutely no reason to think that once the CWC ends that it means any of the benefits that were promised to people under the CWC will be lost when they were specifically told they would apply.  

All the ending of the CWC means is that the CWC won’t apply to bookings made after Aug 1.  Those that book after Aug. 1 won’t be allowed to cancel without penalty, they won’t be eligible for price drops and they can’t cancel 48 hours prior to date of sailing.  Those that booked before Aug 1 will still retain all of those perks.

I never said they won't honor anyone who used CWC while it was a program.  

However once CWC ends anyone who hasn't exercised CWC won't be able to.  

Show me in the T&Cs what the end date of CWC is.  

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

I posted it once but here it is again.

• Now, even more flexibility! Cruise with Confidence has been extended to allow cancellations up to 48-hours prior to sailing in exchange for a 100% Future Cruise Credit on sailings through April 2022 for bookings made on-or-before August 1, 2020
  • NEW! Book on-or-before August 1, 2020 and take advantage of our best price guaranteeup to 48-hours prior to sailing, ensuring that your clients are getting the best deal!

I’m done with this discussion as we obviously disagree.  Besides what do I know, I’ve only sat though countless webinars with Vickie Freed explaining exactly how this works but if you don’t want to believe what I’m telling you and what is posted that’s your choice. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, twangster said:

You don't get it.

If you book before 1 August, it applies to you, no matter when you cruise.  It does not end until every cruise that was booked before 1 Aug has sailed (actually 48 hours before the last sailing.

Since you cannot book anything beyond April 30, 2022 as of now, it ends April 28, 2022.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 2

I agree with you for the most part. 

Some areas of the US are out of control, not all.  The northeast was hit hard early on and locked down for a long time.  The gradual reopening is still in process.  I am in Massachusetts and we are only in the beginning of phase three, which just started this week for most of the state, with Boston starting next week.  Each phase has multiple steps with two weeks between each at a minimum.  People entering Massachusetts, from all but eight states, have to self quarantine for two weeks.  We currently have a less than 2% positive test rate with over a million test done in our small state alone.  Other states in the northeast have similar progress.

Other areas of the country are regressing.  They opened too soon and too quickly and are now having ridiculously high numbers of positive cases.  Until those areas get their act together, I can totally understand why there are bans against the US.

I too am from MA and agree that this state has done it right. As for the states that are in current free fall, they have given the rest of the country that’s doing well a bad rap. Those states are where our cruise ships would be so getting them under control and their “kids” to grow up and immigration may finally help control the situation. But ALL USA is not out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, CapeGal said:

I too am from MA and agree that this state has done it right. As for the states that are in current free fall, they have given the rest of the country that’s doing well a bad rap. Those states are where our cruise ships would be so getting them under control and their “kids” to grow up and immigration may finally help control the situation. But ALL USA is not out of control.

Sadly, I would be inclined to believe that for international travel, the US is going to be the US.  In AZ we are BAD so we can't travel freely to some other states right now.  Who knows what will be tomorrow.  Just curious, all the numbers I see around the world show total number of cases since the beginning of time but no a single mention of the numbers of those recovered. 

8 hours ago, CapeGal said:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

MA has one of the highest death rates per million in the US. Hopefully, other states don't do it like MA. LOL.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:50 AM, zekekelso said:

So if there was a TA and you got to Spain withing being eligible to enter Spain, the cruise line at a minimum has to take you back. They can't just dump you at the port in BCN.

Unfortunately this is not true.  Most, if not all, cruise lines state very clearly that the passenger is responsible for arranging entry to all countries included in the cruise. Visas are supposed to be checked at embarkation. What actually happens when someone is denied entry is that the person is handed over to Spanish immigration and then usually to the consulate of their home country. the cruise line definitely does not have to get them home.  Airlines operate under different rules.

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The site many folks use has recovery numbers: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not only that, they also list tests/cases/deaths per million, so although the US is 9th and 12th in the world for cases and deaths per million, we are only 25th for tests per million. I live in Maine, which has a very low case rate, but we have to follow the rules imposed on travel for the entire country. It gripes me that others cannot respect the easy to follow and common sense guidelines to social distance and to mask. And I can tell you that very few people are self quarantining when they come up to their 2nd homes. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:03 AM, zonacruiser25 said:

Sadly, I would be inclined to believe that for international travel, the US is going to be the US.  In AZ we are BAD so we can't travel freely to some other states right now.  Who knows what will be tomorrow.  Just curious, all the numbers I see around the world show total number of cases since the beginning of time but no a single mention of the numbers of those recovered. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

As I post, 

Recovered:

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 11:42 PM, Missusdubbya said:

In my opinion, you are misinformed and mistaken.

The reason for the ban is that allowing US citizens to enter the EU (or any other country) is an unacceptable health risk - as the US government on the whole is failing to manage the spread of COVID. 

Citizens from other countries see this, and we sympathise with you. It is very sad you are in this situation, and our thoughts are with you. 

Totally agree!! Take care and stay healthy.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:42 PM, Missusdubbya said:

In my opinion, you are misinformed and mistaken.

The reason for the ban is that allowing US citizens to enter the EU (or any other country) is an unacceptable health risk - as the US government on the whole is failing to manage the spread of COVID. 

Citizens from other countries see this, and we sympathise with you. It is very sad you are in this situation, and our thoughts are with you. 

Totally agree!! Take care and stay healthy.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Looks like Carnival may try starting with AIDA from Germany and maybe visit Italy.  Any cruises starting is good news.  A small start will hopefully grease the skids for more and more to follow. 

You can not visit Italy if you cruise from Germany. Aida starts with short cruises from Germany to the North for Germans and Costa starts with short cruises from Italy for Italians.

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Looks like Carnival may try starting with AIDA from Germany and maybe visit Italy.  Any cruises starting is good news.  A small start will hopefully grease the skids for more and more to follow. 

TUI Cruises is scheduled to resume service in late July, sailing from Hamburg on short three and four-day cruises into the North Sea. Capacity limited to 60 percent, balcony and above cabins only, no port calls, strict health and hygiene protocols!!! 

AIDA will resume in August sailing from  Hamburg, Warnemünde ( Baltic Sea ) and Kiel. Short cruises - no port calls! 

Stay safe and healthy 

1 hour ago, TravelerThom said:

For a minute I thought I was on the Peruvian Cooking Board...

LOL!!  Yup, lots of these little guys are raised for food....probably not something I would order off the menu.  😉  

53 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL!!  Yup, lots of these little guys are raised for food....probably not something I would order off the menu.  😉  

If you ever get the opportunity, try Cuy.  We've had it prepared a number of ways and enjoyed it each time.

Kind of like rabbit, cute but delicious. 

46 minutes ago, island lady said:

And in the Andes they compensate for lack of central heat; sleep with a bunch of them to stay warm (al la 3 dog night). Cuy is generally considered to be “peasant food” and is most commonly seen roasted on a stick at road side stands, or in touristy restaurants; not usually seen in upscale restaurants unless they have a substantial tourist trade. The Cathedral in Cuzco has a rather famous painting of the Last Supper where the entree is cuy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

If you ever get the opportunity, try Cuy.  We've had it prepared a number of ways and enjoyed it each time.

Kind of like rabbit, cute but delicious. 

Just don't show me their picture.  😮  😉 

• Like 1