Straw Poll

KennyFla

Playing around and looking at available cruises next year to use our FCC(when we get it), if you had to choose 7 nights in a balcony (Fantastica) or 4 nights Yacht Club, which would you do?

We are close enough to Miami and Port Canaveral to consider long weekend cruises, so a few days of sun to keep the tan are fine for us.  So 4 days in YC on Divina or Seaside (two days at Ocean Cay)  would beat a ho-hum Eastern or Western even in an Aurea suite.

10 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi, It totally depends on the ships and itinerary: where and when.

For example, I would prefer a 7 days cruise (Western Caribbean) in the smallest inside cabin on the Seaside to a 4 days in YC on the Meraviglia (Bellissima, etc.)

4 days is "not a cruise". I would consider this option as an addition to a different (real) cruise to make a STS.

Happy cruising!

We watched the videos on the Seaside and the Meraviglia.  It seems OK.  Is it really that bad?  What don't you like about it?  

1 minute ago, kelleherdl said:

We are close enough to Miami and Port Canaveral to consider long weekend cruises, so a few days of sun to keep the tan are fine for us.  So 4 days in YC on Divina or Seaside (two days at Ocean Cay)  would beat a ho-hum Eastern or Western even in an Aurea suite.

That's the way we are leaning.  When the Seaside moves to Cocoa Beach, it will only be an hour away.

We went on the Seaside (Aurea balcony) in 2018 and on the Meraviglia (YC Deluxe Suite) in 2019. We loved both, but far and away I'd pick the Yacht Club, even for 4 days. Thanks for the straw poll, good idea. ☺️

I've sailed both fantastica and YC and would choose 7 days fantastica. For me, even under 'old normal' conditions, four days is silly as I have to fly to the port. I would also consider the new normal for cruising which will include potential social distancing measures and mask requirements which may be in effect.  I believe much of my next cruise will be spent enjoying a book on my balcony where I can forgo the mask and not worry about social distancing. In that case, YC has minimal advantage. 

• Like 1

We did YC on seaside in November and loved it , with everything going on today would definitely do the YC. Nothing was crowded plenty of space in lounge and pool area , also entertainment was excellent. Drink package and internet also included.

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe much of my next cruise will be spent enjoying a book on my balcony where I can forgo the mask and not worry about social distancing. In that case, YC has minimal advantage. 

We always book a YC1 balcony as we consider the YC deck to be our extended second balcony. The roominess in all the YC spaces make for easy implementation of the new ABnormal. 

YC for 4 nights if it's an extra trip for the year in addition to other vacations already planned.

7 nights if its a nicer itinerary and it's the only cruise vacation for the year. 

25 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

We always book a YC1 balcony as we consider the YC deck to be our extended second balcony. The roominess in all the YC spaces make for easy implementation of the new ABnormal. 

I understand your logic, but I'm not convinced. Having sailed in YC, I would agree there is significantly more 'roominess', however if the predicted guidelines are implemented, all YC guests will be required to wear a mask in topsail and there would only be one or two persons allowed in the YC pool at any given time with the pool deck chairs spaced social distance apart. 

Of course, no one knows how this will all pan out, but I do think it's safe to presume mask wearing will be mandatory for everyone outside of their stateroom (at least at the beginning) and we both know that YC staterooms are pretty small for 'luxury' class. In fact, I preferred the fantastica set up in the bathroom. 

So, for me, if I have to put on a mask every time I leave my stateroom, I simply won't be leaving that much and will consider cruising just a way to enjoy the sea from my private balcony; in which case YC doesn't add any value. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So, for me, if I have to put on a mask every time I leave my stateroom, I simply won't be leaving that much

And, I doubt that I will be cruising again.  At least in the near future.

I saw a photo today on an airline forum of flight attendants covered head to toe in plastic garb wearing a mask, handing out what appeared to be snacks to passengers who were masked.  (It must be OK to remove the mask to eat one's snack.)  That kind of a situation is not going to encourage me to spend the money to once again fly or sail.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And, I doubt that I will be cruising again.  At least in the near future.

I saw a photo today on an airline forum of flight attendants covered head to toe in plastic garb wearing a mask, handing out what appeared to be snacks to passengers who were masked.  (It must be OK to remove the mask to eat one's snack.)  That kind of a situation is not going to encourage me to spend the money to once again fly or sail.  

I completely empathize. For those of us who love cruising, it's heartbreaking. I suspect cruising will never be the same, but my hope is that the MAJOR changes  (social distancing, mask wearing, etc...) are short lived and we will all adjust to a 'new normal'. Unfortunately, I see that happening in 2022. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

but my hope is that the MAJOR changes  (social distancing, mask wearing, etc...) are short lived and we will all adjust to a 'new normal'. Unfortunately, I see that happening in 2022. 

Yes, I hope so as well.  Will I physically still be able to cruise in 2022?  That's my concern.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, I hope so as well.  Will I physically still be able to cruise in 2022?  That's my concern.  

I'm sorry to read that rka :(. I sincerely hope that once cruising resumes you will more than able to enjoy your time on the sea. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sorry to read that rka :(. I sincerely hope that once cruising resumes you will more than able to enjoy your time on the sea. 

Thank you for your kind comment.  I appreciate it very much.  I remain hopeful, but I also have to be realistic as well.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

And that's the truth:  Time will tell.

We, too, are hopeful.  Perhaps you are in the same quandry as us, in that flying to the port, and a night in a hotel, are more off-putting than the cruise itself.  Do you ever drive to Baltimore to cruise?  We have done so for years; however, since taking our MSC cruise last January, we now feel like no other line will really satisfy us.  It would be fantastic to have Armonia ported in Baltimore -- as long as she would still go to Ocean Cay!

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

And that's the truth:  Time will tell.

We, too, are hopeful.  Perhaps you are in the same quandry as us, in that flying to the port, and a night in a hotel, are more off-putting than the cruise itself.  Do you ever drive to Baltimore to cruise?  We have done so for years; however, since taking our MSC cruise last January, we now feel like no other line will really satisfy us.  It would be fantastic to have Armonia ported in Baltimore -- as long as she would still go to Ocean Cay!

I drove to Baltimore for a cruise on Carnival Pride.  Easy drive, easy to get to the port (just watch out for the possible "hidden" police cruiser as one exits Northbound I-95 on to the surface street when the speed limit quickly drops) as one exits I-95 to get to the Port.  Arrival at the Port, the formalities, and the departure from the Port were guest friendly.  I'd be delighted to have a MSC ship Home Ported in Baltimore.  

The Port of Norfolk has been overlooked as well.  The seas and weather off Cape Hatteras  has caused cruise ship arrival delays and those related issues.  Too bad, because the Cruise Terminal is a good one (while parking leaves a bit to be desired), and the city and its environs are truly a desirable one for a vacationer to visit.