TA Demanding Final Balance

nigelc

I have a 10 day cruise booked for January 2021 and my TA (based in the UK) has been demanding payment of the final balance some 190 days before the sailing date. Oceania have confirmed that payment needs to be made 90 days before sailing and the TA will not answer my question as to why they need payment 100 days before Oceania.

Given the current situation regarding refunds, together with the likelihood that the cruise will be cancelled, I am very reluctant to pay the balance before I need to. Has anyone come across this before?

Edited by nigelc
grammer error

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They probably want your money to pay off others

What happens if stand your ground and pay at 90 days?

I am sure that they want my money to ease their cash flow problems.

Given that Oceania terms/conditions only require 90 days, I am doubtful that the TA can cancel the booking at 190 days for none payment of the balance - just wondered if anyone had encountered this issue before. 

• Like 1

What does your TA’s T&C’s say?  It’s not unusual for a TA to ask for final payment 2 weeks before the cruise line seek the money to allow for chasing stragglers etc.  But 100 days before....  I personally wouldn’t pay until the T&C’s date, especially in the current situation when everything is in the air (or not!) and refunds taking month's.

I hope it all works out for you.

Regards

3 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

It’s a pity that we can’t name and shame these TAs

Maybe not here on CC but is there some association of British TAs where they can be complained about?

19 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe not here on CC but is there some association of British TAs where they can be complained about?

ABTA - I would definitely consult with them regarding this. There is the question of T&C’s for thr contract you have with the TA, does it say in the T&C’s you should have got when booking that payment would be required 190 days before travel? 

I believe my own UK TA asks for full payment a good while before the payment due date of Oceania, I fact this into my calculations for payment. 

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Does your TA expect payment to him directly or to Oceania?

Payment to them - still will not explain why they want the balance so far advance of the sailing.

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

ABTA - I would definitely consult with them regarding this. There is the question of T&C’s for thr contract you have with the TA, does it say in the T&C’s you should have got when booking that payment would be required 190 days before travel? 

I believe my own UK TA asks for full payment a good while before the payment due date of Oceania, I fact this into my calculations for payment. 

As normal, the TA's T&C's focus on stating that they have no liability for anything and that they are only acting as an "Agent". They state that both their and Oceania's T&Cs apply but Oceania is the "Principal" and provide all services. Given this, the TA's T&Cs appear to be in conflict with Oceania's - whose surely as the "Principal" should win?

I understand that TAs require the balance before the due date - but 100 days?

20 minutes ago, nigelc said:

As normal, the TA's T&C's focus on stating that they have no liability for anything and that they are only acting as an "Agent". They state that both their and Oceania's T&Cs apply but Oceania is the "Principal" and provide all services. Given this, the TA's T&Cs appear to be in conflict with Oceania's - whose surely as the "Principal" should win?

I understand that TAs require the balance before the due date - but 100 days?

I just looked on my invoice from my TA compared to the final payment due on my booking on the Oceania website - 

TA - 10 Jan 

Oceania - 11 Feb

So 30 days difference for me... has your TA always had that due date or is this a new thing? 

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

I just looked on my invoice from my TA compared to the final payment due on my booking on the Oceania website - 

TA - 10 Jan 

Oceania - 11 Feb

So 30 days difference for me... has your TA always had that due date or is this a new thing? 

30 days seems fair enough - it started as a phone call from the TA to discuss options as my balance payment was fast approaching, which was news to me as it does not appear to be on the paperwork from them. 

2 minutes ago, nigelc said:

30 days seems fair enough - it started as a phone call from the TA to discuss options as my balance payment was fast approaching, which was news to me as it does not appear to be on the paperwork from them. 

I would definitely ask to see their T&C’s and then take it up with ABTA if you think something is dodgy.  

1 minute ago, ToxM said:

I would definitely ask to see their T&C’s and then take it up with ABTA if you think something is dodgy.  

I have e-mailed them, but waiting for a reply. As you probably know, the British Government have just advised against all cruise travel so it would be very foolish to pay for trip before you have too.

Just now, nigelc said:

I have e-mailed them, but waiting for a reply. As you probably know, the British Government have just advised against all cruise travel so it would be very foolish to pay for trip before you have too.

Just a thought .... and this may be very negative nelly of me, but when did you get the phone call from the TA? Before or after the FCO advisory came out? 

5 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Just a thought .... and this may be very negative nelly of me, but when did you get the phone call from the TA? Before or after the FCO advisory came out? 

Before - I thought it was strange that the no "cruise" advice came out shortly after. 

9 minutes ago, nigelc said:

Before - I thought it was strange that the no "cruise" advice came out shortly after. 

I think you need to let your TA know you are getting in touch with ABTA. Please keep us updated and good luck!

Four to six weeks is pretty standard with TAs in the British Isles - the original justification was to allow cheques time to clear, but who pays by cheque these days??  My current TA sends me both their own and the"O" invoice & they just expect payment some time between the 2 PIF dates & only chase up if its getting to 2-3 days before the "O" due date - they are a small independent only selling 5-6 cruise lines with lots of "O"business.  My previous TA is a large multiple home franchise cruise agent whose central admin team were inflexible & just wanted your ££s in the bank.