FCO advises against all cruise travel, today

Windsurfboy

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Here's a link to the FCO web page, if your interested.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

Yes, but look at the last sentence:-  The Foreign & Commonwealth Office continues to support the Department for Transport’s work with industry for the resumption of international cruise travel.

Work (i.e. discussions) still going on with the industry etc. and when that is settled FCO advice will change.  FCO advice only stays until it is changed and can be any time.  I do agree it could have repercussions for insurance if you book while the advice is in place.  No cruises set to start any time soon and nor will they until Gov is satisfied it is safe - so no change really. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

I heard mention of a parking company going under today as well ... parkcruises? 

Parking4cruises are still taking online bookings.  But as we have seen with Oceana earlier this week that doesn't mean anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickrory said:

Invalidates any insurance you have.

Curtains for any 2020 departures. How long can the cruise lines survive?

You realise they can (and will) change the guidance? We went through all of this when MPs said no summer holidays this year and everyone got in a tizz about not going away. And now look, flights are running, Europe is open and we can go on holiday. The cruise advice can change just the same too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Very true, but balances need to be paid for loads of people, so it's a very hard choice.

True but that's been the case since this crisis kicked off. Its all guesswork at the moment. Will be nice when we get some certainty back in our lives. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Very true, but balances need to be paid for loads of people, so it's a very hard choice.

Jean

Why is it hard?

Ships not going anywhere

Refunds not being made

Package and itinerary unknown

America in serious problems

Carnival will not sail from here or there, my guess this year

Desperation to get the Brits on board to save the company.

Strength of 2021 order book unknown, reliant on deposit only paid guests to firm up bookings.

Deposits taken are not meaningful amounts, so guests can walk away if needed.

Hi Di Hi type excursions, freedom to do as you please in ports curtailed.

Why is it Hard.

Its common sense.

What will you be paying for and where will you be going?

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Jean

Why is it hard?

Ships not going anywhere

Refunds not being made

Strength of 2021 order book unknown, reliant on deposit only paid guests to firm up bookings.

Why is it Hard.

Its common sense.

This what worries me, I have a 7 night Norway cruise booked on Iona next May in a balcony cabin. I like Norway and the attraction of the cruise itinerary is the visits to Olden and Geiranger, even if you don't go ashore there is the long cruises through the fjords, The other calls are Stavanger and Haugosund, neither in what I would call a fjord. The worry is after I pay the final deposit P&O decide they are not visiting those long fjords after all and insist it is not a major change of itinerary so no I can't have a refund.

Just been surfing Daily mail online using picture of the white sisters Adonia and Oceana saying they are part of the p and o carnival group how far behind the times are they .Pretty shabby reporting !

This could just be another instance of the UK adopting a contrary stance to the EU

The EU have recently published guidance for cruise lines to allow a resumption of cruising

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/eu-releases-guidance-for-resumption-of-cruising

If UK companies follow that advice they still will be at odds with the FCO - so it seems like another nose thumbing exercise to prove that we don't want to be aligned to any EU procedures

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Jean

Why is it hard?

Ships not going anywhere

Refunds not being made

Why is it Hard.

Its common sense.

I have already cancelled my October cruise.  I meant it was difficult for other people to decide.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mickrory said:

Invalidates any insurance you have.

Curtains for any 2020 departures. How long can the cruise lines survive?

Not necessarily. It depends on the precise wording of your policy, in particular the exclusions from cover. On many (most?) policies these may only refer to countries, areas and specific events to which travel is warned against.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

Just been surfing Daily mail online using picture of the white sisters Adonia and Oceana saying they are part of the p and o carnival group how far behind the times are they .Pretty shabby reporting !

What can you expect from the Daily Hate Mail, purely imho of course...😄

• Like 1

Never understood these reports, can't cruise but it's ok to sit on a plane for several hours or even on a ferry. 

There were 3178 reported cases of covid 19 on 50 ships of which 2511 were on 8 of those 50. Norovirus kills 200,000 people a year and we all know when that is on board ships. Risks of cruising with covid (hopefully not) will, I am sure will be no more of a risk than cruising with Noro. We, hopefully, don't board the ship with either, if it's not on board, you just minimise the risk of catching it, washing hands etc etc I'm looking forward to my next cruise in March fingers crossed

Edited by ovccruiser
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Not necessarily. It depends on the precise wording of your policy, in particular the exclusions from cover. On many (most?) policies these may only refer to countries, areas and specific events to which travel is warned against.

Looked at the wording on our policy which is similar - any chance a cruise could be considered an "event"?  Advice from someone who is well up on consumer law, seems it is unlikely, but would not be surprised if they try. Your view would be interesting as I know it is your area of knowledge.

26 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Never understood these reports, can't cruise but it's ok to sit on a plane for several hours or even on a ferry. 

There were 3178 reported cases of covid 19 on 50 ships of which 2511 were on 8 of those 50. Norovirus kills 200,000 people a year and we all know when that is on board ships. Risks of cruising with covid (hopefully not) will, I am sure will be no more of a risk than cruising with Noro. We, hopefully, don't board the ship with either, if it's not on board, you just minimise the risk of catching it, washing hands etc etc I'm looking forward to my next cruise in March fingers crossed

Sorry, but there is really no comparison between CV19 and noro. This has already been covered on another thread in detail, but noro is relatively easy to control, is not spread through the air, and does not require everyone, even those with no symptoms to self isolate. And CV19 is far, far more deadly than noro.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ovccruiser said:

Very easy to understand. You generally don’t die from Norovirus and it only affects those who get ill. Covid 19, on the other hand, can kill you and just one case can impact on the holiday of everyone on board. I’ve no intention of flying anywhere anytime soon, but you are only in close proximity to others for a matter of hours and wearing a face mask all the time. On a cruise you are in close proximity to others for the entire holiday (embarkation, disembarkation, tenders, restaurants, bars, theatres, narrow corridors, lifts etc etc). These things are mostly unique to cruises. All these reasons and more are why cruising is considered the most dangerous form of holiday whilst the virus is still about (hence the FCO advice) and why many of us will consider other forms of holiday until we feel it is safe to return to cruise ships. 

• Like 9

I have to wonder what the government are hoping to achieve here. They are quoted as saying it is likely to last until October. P&O and presumably other cruise lines are not planning on running cruises until October, they are all cancelled. All this will do is cause problems with people having to pay cruise balances and cause potential issues with travel insurance if fco advice is still warning against cruise travel. It will not cause people to cancel pre October cruises because there aren’t any. All this seems to be doing is makIng ministers feel self important and being seen to be doing something to justify their position.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 5