Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Maxximum23

Now that the FCO has issued its update what are my options.

Recommended Posts

We are due to sail with Celebrity on the Edge cruise liner from Italy on 18 September. The final balance is due on 24 July. Now that the Foreign Office in Britain today has warned against all U.K. citizens regardless of age not to go on a cruise, what are my options? I think it’s best to transfer the cruise to September 2021, what would you do? Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an E-mail from Cunard today saying, on the FCO advice they have put their sailings on hold until November 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Maxximum23 said:

We are due to sail with Celebrity on the Edge cruise liner from Italy on 18 September. The final balance is due on 24 July. Now that the Foreign Office in Britain today has warned against all U.K. citizens regardless of age not to go on a cruise, what are my options? I think it’s best to transfer the cruise to September 2021, what would you do? Thank you

take into account for the L&S it's a different itinerary:

1)Your cruise is 10 nights,  2)2021 GREEK ISLANDS is 11 nights, 3) the 10 nights cruise in 2021 is Italy, Croatia and Montenegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Explore what might be available under L&S. If you can't find something suitable, you can either cancel before final payment or make the payment and wait for Celebrity to cancel, which they surely will. Personally, if I couldn't work out a suitable L&S, I'd cancel now and take a refund.

Edited by Fouremco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you want to see what your L&S options are use their tool on the website.  You enter your reservation information and it gives you the options.  You don't have to submit the request but can use it as research.

 

https://cancellation.celebritycruises.com/?brand=C

 

I believe the OP is from the UK and refund of deposit I don't think is possible but they should inquire.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

your insured technically because of the FCO advice - assuming your insurance was in place so even your deposit should be covered..

 

This strangely could be your only option according to the martin lewis site because as usual for the UK theres nothing mandatory in place - its just advice - so if the cruise/flight goes ahead its your issue (TBH though I seriously t doubt the Edge will be sailing in September)

 

Technically you cant refund deposits in the UK - Celeb I have found have been quite happy to move them though or you could just lift and shift (though be careful as your T&C will change when you do this)

Edited by ighten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely move to next September if you can. If not, go with the next best solution to get your money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are unable to lift and shift then under the current cruise with confidence offer you can cancel and X will refund your deposit as an FCC.

 

I just cancelled a cruise scheduled for October and will get (eventually) a credit card refund of the amount I had already paid, and the deposit back as FCC.

 

So that’s another option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you want to see what your L&S options are use their tool on the website.  You enter your reservation information and it gives you the options.  You don't have to submit the request but can use it as research.

 

https://cancellation.celebritycruises.com/?brand=C

 

I believe the OP is from the UK and refund of deposit I don't think is possible but they should inquire.

I was told I would get FCC, but it has never been issued. I contacted Celebrity and was told my booking was not eligible for a refund, so try claiming from my Travel Insurance, which I did. 

I didn’t hold out much hope, especially as we waited for 2 months before we heard anything. When we eventually spoke to someone, I pointed out the GOV.UK advise against cruising for the over 70’s and for passengers with health problems.

My deposit was returned to me, less £10.p.p excess, on Monday.

So, now any passenger should be able to claim on their Insurance, as UK Government advice, is against cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Maxximum23 said:

what are my options?

Whatever option you choose, final payment for October 2020 shouldn't be one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, Redrobo said:

I had an E-mail from Cunard today saying, on the FCO advice they have put their sailings on hold until November 2020.

 

I wonder if that means Celebrity are going to push back their cruises, are they all part of Cunard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxximum23 said:

I wonder if that means Celebrity are going to push back their cruises, are they all part of Cunard?

Last time I checked, Cunard was part of the Carnival Corporation. Celebrity, of course, is part of the Royal Caribbean Group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Fouremco said:

Explore what might be available under L&S. If you can't find something suitable, you can either cancel before final payment or make the payment and wait for Celebrity to cancel, which they surely will. Personally, if I couldn't work out a suitable L&S, I'd cancel now and take a refund.

Agree.  Anything this year not likely to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FCO has now updated the advice; I see  River cruises are now approved as an option -- looks like next on the table is expedition cruises.. I still cant see any traditional big white ships  being lifted for a while though but the report does say they are making progress..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...