To pay or not to pay...

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The biggest transmission risks remain, buffet utensils, lift buttons, door handles and handrails.

Which is exactly the same as Norovirus. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Thanks 1

The number of people sick with Covid is still not as high as the number who get sick on a ship with norovirus or similar.

The big difference is that a) Norovirus symptoms show quickly and b) we understand lots about the bug to minimise serious and fatal incidences.

The scientists can work on point b but point a is due to the nature of the virus having an asymptomatic incubation period and isn’t readily solved.

I actually think the conversation about health on cruises ships has been long overdue. We’ve probably all observed someone leave the toilet without washing their hands or cough into the air. Now the conversation is being had across industry.

In the long run we will have healthier cruises thanks to this pause.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

The number of people sick with Covid is still not as high as the number who get sick on a ship with norovirus or similar.

The big difference is that a) Norovirus symptoms show quickly and b) we understand lots about the bug to minimise serious and fatal incidences.

The scientists can work on point b but point a is due to the nature of the virus having an asymptomatic incubation period and isn’t readily solved.

I actually think the conversation about health on cruises ships has been long overdue. We’ve probably all observed someone leave the toilet without washing their hands or cough into the air. Now the conversation is being had across industry.

Surely time plays a part in that. Companies eventually paused cruising when covid reared its head

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

MY understanding is that MODERN cruise ship air con is on par with hotel air con. Most air con systems work by recycling a certain amount of internal air and mixing it with fresh air. That amount of fresh air can usually be boosted right up to 100%. That is not as efficient as you have to cool/heat rather than recycling existing cooled/heated sir.

Best comparison is on cars, you gave the option to recircle air internally or bring fresh air in. Even if brining in fresh air, it’s not usually 100% fresh.

Some may say cruise ship air con is better than hotel air con as you’re picking up fresh air from out at sea rather than In the middle of a polluted city.

What does make a difference is the type of filters in the air con, filtering out bad particles. You’ll note that NCL (or MSC) is upgrading the quality of the filters across the fleet. Probably most cruise lines are doing this.

What is classed as Modern?

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I agree with you,  and a positive I can take from your information is neither Frank nor I have ever contracted Norovirus in10 years of cruising. I do  hope I've not just jinxed us 😕

Avril 

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

chengkp75 is the source of knowledge on technical matters, he is a former cruise ship chief engineer, normally to be found on the cruise questions area

He is a regular on RCL forums too.

Extremely helpful poster.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

He is indeed, but unlike we amateur experts he hardly ever commits himself to a firm prediction. He might make a great politician.

True.

It is his technical engineering experience and knowledge of ships workings that we on RCL forums appreciate.

He has posted on P&O UK too.

23 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with you,  and a positive I can take from your information is neither Frank nor I have ever contracted Norovirus in10 years of cruising. I do  hope I've not just jinxed us 😕

Avril 

I have been cruising for 25 years and never caught anything. I admit I'm a bit like Lady Macbeth with the hand washing, and I rarely use the buffet, but I am convinced that if you are sensible, hygenic and have a good immune system, you will probably be OK. And btw, I don't use the sanitiser because I'm allergic to it. Good old soap and water seems to suffice!

Edited by Clodia
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Clodia said:

I have been cruising for 25 years and never caught anything. I admit I'm a bit like Lady Macbeth with the hand washing, and I rarely use the buffet, but I am convinced that if you are sensible, hygenic and have a good immune system, you will probably be OK. And btw, I don't use the sanitiser because I'm allergic to it. Good old soap and water seems to suffice!

We have done 52 cruises and neither of us have ever caught anything.  We are neurotic about hand washing and have not been to the buffet for years after watching a lady picking items up with her hands and them putting them back down for some other unsuspecting passenger to take and eat.  I also don't use the sanitiser because it makes my hands burn and the skin then peels off.

7 hours ago, Clodia said:

As well as cruising we also spent 23 years dicovering the far east. We've toured many places and eaten in all manner of places. Street stalls, local villages and market food halls and have never been once been ill or picked up any infections or viruses. This while we were in our late 40s to early 60s. Just like you we were very careful with our personal hygiene and kept our hands clean. We don't use the buffet on the ships either.

Avril