The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Lovely Kitzbuehel picture, Travelberlin!

Now that EU residents can come to America again, if vaxed and pre-tested, will you consider a Crystal cruise to the Caribbean?  The prices are very good. I am hoping to bring a German friend in a couple months on a cruise out of Miami ( even though I am not a beach bunny  anymore, my friend is, and I can just do a lot of gourmet eating and relaxing while she swims ).  
Keith1010  has helped establish that at least right now, the main headache is just the online Bahamas paperwork and pre-cruise within 72 hour PCR testing.   Good solo pricing too -- we will each have a separate cabin.

Meanwhile while I also hope my beloved HL will open back up to us non-Germanics ( so frustrating seeing all the great routes forbidden to my travel-vaxed self),  Ponant will get some of my small-ship classical music cruise business in Europe instead.  They have an upcoming Carmen cruise, a pianist cruise, a cellist, etc.  Gourmet  cook and wine afficionado JP Albany over on the Ponant and Silver Sea forums said he was quite happy with it overall.

I'm thinking of buying a smoker (the kind for meats, in case anyone gets the wrong idea.)

Maybe I will, maybe not.  In any event, I've started by focusing on the key to success: the marketing (ie, sometimes you sell the steak, sometimes you sell the sizzle.)

So I've developed the perfect name for this endeavo(u)r: Chez Kens BBQ Emporium and Bait and Tackle Shop.  (Slogan: "You Hook 'em, We Cook 'em.") Covers a pretty broad demographic, don't cha think?

Also, Aaron Franklin, consider yourself on notice.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Chez Kens BBQ Emporium and Bait and Tackle Shop.  (Slogan: "You Hook 'em, We Cook 'em.")

Will all those characters fit on your Kickstarter or crowd funding page? By the way I think once you are a success then get your application in for the MN State Fair. I understand it can take a few years to get in. So what critters or swimmers are you planning to smoke?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Will all those characters fit on your Kickstarter or crowd funding page? By the way I think once you are a success then get your application in for the MN State Fair. I understand it can take a few years to get in. So what critters or swimmers are you planning to smoke?

Critters: probably venison, or whatever recently wandered into my back yard.  Not rabbit, they're too hard to hit (I'm kidding.)

Swimmers:  deep fried carp, the bottom-est of bottom feeders.  I actually have a deep fried carp story, I'll bore everyone with it another time.

• Like 4

I don't have a sunrise for September 30 so I'm going to September 21 (2007).  It was taken at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  While Philmont treks happen only in summer their Training Center continues to operate into the fall:

DSCF0019.JPG.ff675e917d3d77189df33b3311a

Roy

• Like 6

Roy this one at Philmont is really great!  My nephew worked there a couple years ago. They had a huge fire his first year then COVID hit. A tough time for the Boy Scouts. 

Edited by oakridger
Fixed
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2012 short cruise out of  Montreal on the Crystal Symphony.  On October we were scheduled to visit St. Pierre but were unable to tender in and it became a sea day.

dawn1004.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Dear Yankees fan,

You're welcome.

Signed,

The 2019 World Series Champion Washington Nationals

This is not the year of my Yankees.  However, we have won more World Series than any team on the planet.  Thank you Bosox for letting us have Babe Ruth and as they say the rest is history.

Keith

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Dear Yankees fan,

You're welcome.

Signed,

The 2019 World Series Champion Washington Nationals

It would have been nice if the Nats had held on so that there would have been a three way tie. According to our local paper, had that happened the Yankees had already decided they would rather play Boston in Fenway than play the Jays in Toronto! We had the hottest team in the league the last six weeks and came up just a game short! Been a heck of a ride just the same!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

It would have been nice if the Nats had held on so that there would have been a three way tie. According to our local paper, had that happened the Yankees had already decided they would rather play Boston in Fenway than play the Jays in Toronto! We had the hottest team in the league the last six weeks and came up just a game short! Been a heck of a ride just the same!

Yes it has.  In 1067 when there was only the two leagues and no divisions it went down at the end in the AL to Red Sox, Tigers and Twins.  This is my first year of really remembering baseball and then it was Red Sox against the Cardinals and it went to the 7th game.  I could recite the starting lineups for both teams but today I am lucky if i can recite a few players in the starting lineups.

Keith

19 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes it has.  In 1067 when there was only the two leagues and no divisions it went down at the end in the AL to Red Sox, Tigers and Twins.  This is my first year of really remembering baseball and then it was Red Sox against the Cardinals and it went to the 7th game.  I could recite the starting lineups for both teams but today I am lucky if i can recite a few players in the starting lineups.

Keith

I think this is a typo and not autocorrect. 1067 ???????🤪

Patty

P.S. I know you meant 1967 as I remember all the St. Louis girls watching the game on the TV at the sorority house!!

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 1

And here I was, thinking 1067 was the Battle of Hastings!

You should certainly not count your Yankees out yet; but better than Yanks/Bosox/Blue Jays/Rays, with poor Baltimore left in the dust, why can’t somebody redesign the divisions?

• Like 3

Only a year after Battle of Hastings??  Didn't know our teams were that old!

By the way, if any of our fellow cruisers get a chance to take an excursion to the Bayeux Tapestry, it is wonderful in its current setting.  We saw it 2 1/2 years ago on a land tour.   Not looking at a map right now -- don't know if it's feasible for a shore excursion.  B & B

Of course our Yankees are still in it!!

Edited by 2bobs
adding a line
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 2bobs said:

Only a year after Battle of Hastings??  Didn't know our teams were that old!

By the way, if any of our fellow cruisers get a chance to take an excursion to the Bayeux Tapestry, it is wonderful in its current setting.  We saw it 2 1/2 years ago on a land tour.   Not looking at a map right now -- don't know if it's feasible for a shore excursion.  B & B

Hi Bobs! So I didn’t even get the year right? Yikes.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Bayeux Tapestry, in 2011, on a private tour to Normandy from … um … now I can’t remember the port! Great tour. Beach, bunkers, cemetery, church with the parachuted troops landing on the roof, delicious lunch, plus the tapestry. Long and wonderful. 

Cherbourg!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I think this is a typo and not autocorrect. 1067 ???????🤪

Patty

P.S. I know you meant 1967 as I remember all the St. Louis girls watching the game on the TV at the sorority house!!

Oh my.  Can I blame this on Auto Correct.

By the way two former Yankees in the Series.

Roger Maris St. Lous and Elston Howard Red Sox.

And so many amazing players:  Carl Yaz, Gibson, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson and let us not forget Lou Flood who ended up being a catalyst to Free Agency.

Next year Cardinals against Tigers and I can recite this lineups as well. That was 1968 not 1068.  LOL.

Keith

• Like 4

Well it feels like it has been since 1067 that the Twins were in the running... This weekend TC managed to clinch a postseason place - noplace, it is. 

My son was a 1 yr-old when the Twins won the series in 1991. He and I sat together watching games and he wore his TC cap and shirt and his tiny glove. I had a collection of smallish plastic balls there in the basement for him to play with and for awhile he could throw those balls just like the former TC closer Jeff Reardon.

Edited by mskatiemae
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This is not the year of my Yankees.  

Ah, preparing yourself for the (almost) inevitable heartbreak called the postseason.  In 2019 my Nats had three near death experiences before emerging triumphant.  We still refer to that month of October as "exquisite torture."

Time will tell...

26 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

My son was a 1 yr-old when the Twins won the series in 1991. He and I sat together watching games and he wore his TC cap and shirt and his tiny glove. I had a collection of smallish plastic balls there in the basement for him to play with and for awhile he could throw those balls just like the TC team closer Jeff Reardon.

Two thoughts:

That's really sweet.

and

"Sign him up!"

OK, at this point he's a late bloomer but, like they say "there's no such thing as a bad one year contract."

Oh boy, I feel a double bill streaming night of "Field of Dreams" and "Bull Durham" coming on. And if I'm still not satisfied, a late night snack of "Major League" while fast-forwarding thru all the ponderous personal relationship scenes:  "American Express, don't steal home without it."

• Like 1