The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

On a serious note - I work in HigherEd and students move in this week and school starts next week. A friend heard someone on NPR who compared colleges and universities to cruise ships (people eat together, live close to each other, etc....). Needless to say - I am a bit scared. I did sprain my ankle on Friday so maybe that can keep me at my desk for a week or so. Thankful for small injuries.....

Apologizes in advance for posting something serious.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BEAV said:

Moving on from the bubbles of Lawrence Welk, for several years now I've subscribed to the weekly broadcast of Retro Cocktail Hour.  Check it out if you're needing some new material to keep never-ending evenings at home fresh and lively!

So...the Retro Cocktail Hour runs for two hours.   Hmmm.

Love the playlist.  In the same genre, you might want to also check out Luxuria Music and some of the channels on Soma FM - especially their Illinois St Lounge and Secret Agent.  All stream 24/7, so you'll get more than just a two hour fix.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

On a serious note - I work in HigherEd and students move in this week and school starts next week. A friend heard someone on NPR who compared colleges and universities to cruise ships (people eat together, live close to each other, etc....). Needless to say - I am a bit scared. I did sprain my ankle on Friday so maybe that can keep me at my desk for a week or so. Thankful for small injuries.....

A higher power may be watching over you. Be well and be safe. 👍

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

So...the Retro Cocktail Hour runs for two hours.   Hmmm.

Love the playlist.  In the same genre, you might want to also check out Luxuria Music and some of the channels on Soma FM - especially their Illinois St Lounge and Secret Agent.  All stream 24/7, so you'll get more than just a two hour fix.

Thanks! I will certainly check out Luxuria. 👌

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 2

At the intersection of bad The Love Boat reboots and retro playlists sits the question, “which is the better Love Boat Theme rendition — the Tom Jones original, or the Dionne Warwick version from Season 9?”

(If you can’t remember season 9, or are asking yourself, “wait, the Love Boat went on after Lauren Tewes left the show?”, you’re not alone and don’t fear...  Just search for “love boat season 9 opening” on YouTube to refresh your memory.)

I know most people count on me to be the purist vote most of the time, but I kind of preferred the Season 9 opening all the way around.  :classic_blush:  Oops.

Vince

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Be careful with that sprained ankle. I sprained my ankle three weeks ago and it is not healed yet. Doing exercises to strengthen it.

Ivi

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is from the penultimate morning on the Alaska Ferry Kennicott, making my way to Anchorage and the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage Cruise.  Our final intermediate port on August 10, 2016 was Yukutat (pop 648) and we were approaching the port as I first saw the sun through the clouds.

dawn0810.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I hope you heal quickly.  I broke my ankle shopping in St. Paul de Vence on a cruise from Istanbul to Miami.  I refused to go to the ship's doctor because I was able to walk on it and the 2nd part of the cruise was ocean crossing with 8 sea days. I thought it was a sprain.  It got better and I got home and thought I was all better until I danced all night on New Years Eve.

Ankles are very complex and I did heal - but - after the MRI, I found if I'd gone earlier - I'd have been booted from the cruise as I was borderline needing surgery.  8 weeks and a boot and some PT and I am good as new.  Take time if you need it. You only have two feet to get you where you need to go!

• Like 3

MY LUGGAGE FOUND OUT THAT I CANCELLED MY 2021 WINTER CRUISE ON THE SYMPHONY, SO NOW I HAVE TO COPE WITH EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE.

image.png.4904b8aada4499c41b95099b4034c075.png

Edited by Jim9310
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I hope you heal quickly.  I broke my ankle shopping in St. Paul de Vence on a cruise from Istanbul to Miami.  I refused to go to the ship's doctor because I was able to walk on it and the 2nd part of the cruise was ocean crossing with 8 sea days. I thought it was a sprain.  It got better and I got home and thought I was all better until I danced all night on New Years Eve.

Ankles are very complex and I did heal - but - after the MRI, I found if I'd gone earlier - I'd have been booted from the cruise as I was borderline needing surgery.  8 weeks and a boot and some PT and I am good as new.  Take time if you need it. You only have two feet to get you where you need to go!

Thanks. I am already walking better today though it did hurt by the end of the day.

Yes - ankles are complicated.

24 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Is that the view from one of the towers?

You guys are way too good.  I was thinking it was from further back along the roadway but the camera I was using would probably not have worked from a long distance.  One of the towers sounds right.

Roy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

You guys are way too good.  I was thinking it was from further back along the roadway but the camera I was using would probably not have worked from a long distance.  One of the towers sounds right.

Roy

We're not good, we just lucked out in replying faster than Patty.  😉😃

Vince  

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

We're not good, we just lucked out in replying faster than Patty.  😉😃

Vince  

I had no idea! I've been under it on the Symphony and on the roadway in a coach, but walking it ain't me!!! Same with the Golden Gate Bridge, under it on both the Symphony and the Serenity and on the roadway in both a coach and a passenger car. Waved at the people walking it!! 😆

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I had no idea! I've been under it on the Symphony and on the roadway in a coach, but walking it ain't me!!! Same with the Golden Gate Bridge, under it on both the Symphony and the Serenity and on the roadway in both a coach and a passenger car. Waved at the people walking it!! 😆

Patty

Patty, there is a very easy and pleasant way to walk it. At Circular Quay, Opera House side, there is an elevator that takes you up to the Cahill Expressway walkway, which joins the Harbour Bridge walkway. At the other end of the Harboyr Bridge there is another elevator which takes you down to the Kirribilli shops and cafes and the entrance to Milson's Point station. It's a lovely stroll across the bridge with great views across the eastern part of the harbour even from roadway level. You can walk back or take the train.

• Like 2

The rest of the story on the Sydney Bridge.  I think I had mentioned that it was from a land trip.  I have made 2 serious attempts at circling the globe without flying and the second one ended just 5 months ago.  The first was in 2003 when I cobbled together quite an ambitious plan.  I took a train to Montreal, boarded a freighter to Belgium, then a series of train and ferry connections to Helsinki.  From there I rode the trans-Siberian railroad to Beijing.  I was booked on the Harmony Beijing to Vancouver with train connections back home.  Unfortunately, as I left my hotel in Moscow I got an email that my Harmony cruise had been cancelled due to SARS and I had to take a hastily arranged trans-Pacific flight.  2 of these attempts lost due to pandemics; I won't try it again.

Well, missing the ship left me with an expected month of vacation to burn so I used the month of September for a long tour of Australia and New Zealand.  That's the trip where I first walked the Sydney bridge (on the pathway, not the bridge walk).

Roy

• Like 2

Actually, no sunrise photo today.  This is the sunset after leaving Juneau on the Radiance of the Seas August 12, 2014.  On this trip my brother and his SO were along with me.  I like the reflection in the water.

dusk0812.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The rest of the story on the Sydney Bridge.  I think I had mentioned that it was from a land trip.  I have made 2 serious attempts at circling the globe without flying and the second one ended just 5 months ago.  The first was in 2003 when I cobbled together quite an ambitious plan.  I took a train to Montreal, boarded a freighter to Belgium, then a series of train and ferry connections to Helsinki.  From there I rode the trans-Siberian railroad to Beijing.  I was booked on the Harmony Beijing to Vancouver with train connections back home.  Unfortunately, as I left my hotel in Moscow I got an email that my Harmony cruise had been cancelled due to SARS and I had to take a hastily arranged trans-Pacific flight.  2 of these attempts lost due to pandemics; I won't try it again.

Well, missing the ship left me with an expected month of vacation to burn so I used the month of September for a long tour of Australia and New Zealand.  That's the trip where I first walked the Sydney bridge (on the pathway, not the bridge walk).

Roy

What a fascinating journey you had planned in 2003, Roy. 

Not to mention the coincidence of yet another pandemic causing your travels to be severely disrupted again in 2020.  I don’t blame you for giving up on a 3rd try. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

2 of these attempts lost due to pandemics; I won't try it again.

I hope this is not an omen for the Crystal 2022 world cruise.  That will be circling the globe without flying the easy way, assuming it goes as planned.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I hope this is not an omen for the Crystal 2022 world cruise.  That will be circling the globe without flying the easy way, assuming it goes as planned.

Hopefully the World Cruise is safe but I won't jinx it by booking it.

Roy

• Haha 2