The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from the same voyage as yesterday's, still on QM2 headed for England to connect with the Crystal Symphony.

Love your use of the term “connect”, Roy!

Most people would simply call it a B2B, even if on different ships. But you take it to a much higher level with your ingenious itineraries that involve multiple modes of transportation. 

Having worked in the operation side of the transportation industry, we, too, used the word connect hundreds of times a day. Only the term was often met with stress and headaches as opposed to your use of the word! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Love your use of the term “connect”, Roy!

Most people would simply call it a B2B, even if on different ships. But you take it to a much higher level with your ingenious itineraries that involve multiple modes of transportation. 

Having worked in the operation side of the transportation industry, we, too, used the word connect hundreds of times a day. Only the term was often met with stress and headaches as opposed to your use of the word! 

We were on these cruises with Roy and I am not sure B2B would be the right description. We traveled from Southampton to Dover, and then had two days in between the two cruises!!🙂 We actually called it The Ultimate Decadence Cruise. We took a cruise to board a cruise!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

We were on these cruises with Roy and I am not sure B2B would be the right description. We traveled from Southampton to Dover, and then had two days in between the two cruises!!🙂 We actually called it The Ultimate Decadence Cruise. We took a cruise to board a cruise!!

Yeah, I get that. “Connect” usually implies to same-day in most modes. But that’s why I love Roy’s unconventional use of the term! His genius mind still thought of it as a connection, even with 2 days of separation! And I’d bet my bottom dollar the two ships were only part of a longer and more involved itinerary, given his style of adventure! 

Living in Northern California, we decided to travel to a relative’s wedding in Southern California by way of Vancouver. It was in September when the majority of Pacific Coastal cruises migrate out of Alaska. Aside from the bride and groom, we achieved somewhat of a cult status at the reception when folks learned we’d arrived that morning via a cruise ship! Visions of the early days when people used ocean liners as “transportation”!

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

I might have said B2B even with an overnight in between if the Symphony had left Southampton (as did my very first Crystal cruise) but with a drive to Dover connect seemed more appropriate.  Won't be many Symphony sunrise photos from that trip as the weather REALLY did not cooperate.

Roy

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Saint John, NB.  And the name is ALWAYS spelled out to avoid confusion with St. Johns,   Newfoundland.  People who have been careless about the difference have ended up at the wrong airport.

For sure.  Many years ago, I was on a flight to St John's NL with a couple who thought they were heading to Saint John NB.  As we prepared for departure, the Captain made the usual announcement of "welcome to flight XYZ en route to Sin Jawns Newfoundland".  At that point, the doors were closed and the plane had started to push back.  The couple were in disbelief.  They jumped out of their seats and got the attention of a flight attendant.  After much commotion, the aircraft returned to the gate and they deplaned.  If they hadn't been paying attention to the pre-flight announcement and been able to get off the plane before it was in the air, no doubt they would have landed at the wrong airport.  

• Like 1

Still not as bad as the folks who think they are going to Sydney Australia and end up going to Sydney Nova Scotia.  Or Melbourne as well.

Lots of confusion with Portland (Maine and Oregon), Columbus (OH and SC) and Albany (NY and GA) too.

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I might have said B2B even with an overnight in between if the Symphony had left Southampton (as did my very first Crystal cruise) but with a drive to Dover connect seemed more appropriate.  Won't be many Symphony sunrise photos from that trip as the weather REALLY did not cooperate.

Roy

As I recall, the only days we saw the sun that entire cruise were in Dublin, and then the day we sailed past Halifax at 6:00 PM after five days at sea in a howling gale!! We still get looks of disbelief when we tell people we had solid water hit our balcony door on Deck 10 not once, but twice!! And then the greatest hardship of all, they ran out of oatmeal-raisin cookies!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Still not as bad as the folks who think they are going to Sydney Australia and end up going to Sydney Nova Scotia.  Or Melbourne as well.

Lots of confusion with Portland (Maine and Oregon), Columbus (OH and SC) and Albany (NY and GA) too.

...and don't forget the two Springfields and Charlestons. 

A friend of mine used to work at Amtrak in Vancouver, WA (the "REAL" Vancouver, according to him). He loved it when people detrained there expecting to see the Lions Gate Bridge and Gastown. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I always wonder where the ones who talk about Sidney end up?

There is Sidney, British Columbia -- just up the road from Victoria.  In fact, part of the Victoria airport is within the boundaries of Sidney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

A friend of mine used to work at Amtrak in Vancouver, WA (the "REAL" Vancouver, according to him). He loved it when people detrained there expecting to see the Lions Gate Bridge and Gastown. 

Interestingly, if you get onto I-5 in downtown Seattle and drive in either direction, you will end up in Vancouver.  South to Vancouver WA, north to Vancouver BC.

• Like 2

Well, I guess the above posts go some way to explaining the somewhat irritating habit that many North Americans have of always adding the name of a state or country to city names when they are referring to them, i.e. Paris, France or London, England, etc. etc.!!!!   One can only assume that when the New World used those place names they never expected them to get confused with those already established in the Old World!!!!...😁😁

Anne...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, yeah, but which one was Homer in? (And I don't mean the one in Alaska.)

That, my friend, was left up to the wild imagination of the viewer. But I think good ‘ol Homer would have been most happy in the Missouri version. Even though the show’s creator bent toward the Oregon location. 😉

1 hour ago, Jayayeff said:

i.e. Paris, France or London, England, etc. etc.!!!!   😁😁

Come on - you mean there's another Paris other than the one in Texas? and everyone knows London, Ohio - or perhaps it's the London in Arkansas or Kentucky although they could be confused with London Bridge in Arizona

Who would have ever guessed there were other countries who would choose the same names as the US cities chose? 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, yeah, but which one was Homer in? (And I don't mean the one in Alaska.)

Well there are plenty to chose from...

According to Wikipedia there are at over 30 to chose from...

"Springfield is a famously common place-name in the English-speaking world, especially in the United States. According to the U.S. Geological Survey there are currently 33 populated places named Springfield in 25 U.S. states throughout the United States,[1] including five in Wisconsin; additionally, there are at least 36 Springfield Townships, including 11 in Ohio"

• Like 2

Today's photo is at the other end of the day from a sunrise.  It was taken August 21, 2016 from the Crystal Serenity between Cambridge Bay and Pond Inlet.  The sun had already set (despite the extreme latitude we were close to the September equinox so there really was day and night). 

daysend31.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Well, I guess the above posts go some way to explaining the somewhat irritating habit that many North Americans have of always adding the name of a state or country to city names when they are referring to them, i.e. Paris, France or London, England, etc. etc.!!!!   One can only assume that when the New World used those place names they never expected them to get confused with those already established in the Old World!!!!...😁😁

Two settlers wanted to name their new settlement in Oregon, with both of them wanting to have it named after their home "back east".  They decided that they would flip a coin to make the choice.  With a best two of three, heads won.  Thus the new settlement was named Portland, after the city in Maine.  Had it come out tails, it would have been Boston.

And both of those cities "back east" are named after the towns in England.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BEAV said:

That, my friend, was left up to the wild imagination of the viewer. But I think good ‘ol Homer would have been most happy in the Missouri version. Even though the show’s creator bent toward the Oregon location. 😉

Which is more plausible: Homer devouring a rack of KC ribs, or arguing the proper level of hops in the latest seasonal IPA?

Yes, definitely Missouri Homer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Well there are plenty to chose from...

According to Wikipedia there are at over 30 to chose from...

"Springfield is a famously common place-name in the English-speaking world, especially in the United States. According to the U.S. Geological Survey there are currently 33 populated places named Springfield in 25 U.S. states throughout the United States,[1] including five in Wisconsin; additionally, there are at least 36 Springfield Townships, including 11 in Ohio"

I know the pain of this one all too well...  When I first started dating an ex-boyfriend, he was being a little coy about his past.  I knew he had lived in one of Ohio's Springfield Townships because of a job position he'd had, but it took me almost a week to figure out which of the 11 it was since I didn't want to ask to actually ask the question.

The whole concept of townships is another point of frustration for me, after 5 painful years of trying to live in Pennsylvania...  😀

Vince 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BWIVince said:

The whole concept of townships is another point of frustration for me, after 5 painful years of trying to live in Pennsylvania...  😀

I spent less than a year trying to live in PA and I completely understand what you are saying! Not only that - we didn't have 911 in the town I lived in (in the 90's). I still don't understand why people didn't refer to their town but their township (Bucks County for me which was also the county I think)..... And then people divided the Bucks County township into upper and lower Bucks County. I think this is right but not entirely sure. I never knew how to tell people where I lived.

• Like 1