The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Both my attempts at circling the globe on land continuously have ended in pandemics but I have been completely around the world in segments.  My final link was Shanghai to Hong Kong which I completed on board MS Amsterdam.  I tot to that cruise on Amtrak and started on September 20.  This is the sun setting over the New River:

dusk20.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

While I have some sunrise photos from cruises on September 21, today I am posting one from Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico.  While the treks end around Labor Day, the training center there stayed open into the fall.  This was taken September 21, 2007.

DSCF0019.JPG.ff675e917d3d77189df33b3311a67009.JPG

Roy

• Like 6

Today's sunrise is from a Blount Cruise in 2006 on their smallest vessel, the Niagara Prince, from Rhode Island through the Champlain Canal to Burlington, Vermont.  On September 22 we were approaching New York City from Long Island Sound:

IMG_0481.JPG.78f961845324f4ac81fddb85421

Roy

• Like 7

There are a number of days where I have no sunrise photos and many of them happen to be from late September.  Several of my next photos will be from my 2012 Crystal Symphony Transatlantic including this one from September 15.  I assume this one was taken from my stateroom window as it was not a nice morning:

dawn15.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

This is the last of my string of 3 sunrise-less days and my penultimate photo from my 2012 Crystal Symphony Transatlantic.   On September 17 we should have visited Halifax but were so far delayed by storms leaving Iceland that we spent the day making up time.

dawn17.jpg

Roy

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Most of my remaining September sunrise photos will be from my 2017 Oosterdam cruise from Vancouver to San Diego.  We left Vancouver September 25 and arrived in Victoria September 26.  The weather was obviously not great as there was no furniture on the back deck:

dawn0926.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

For those who have enjoyed Jon Courtenay onboard Crystal, here is his new performance on Britain's Got Talent in the semi-finals.

and the Sunday Mail’s report/review of last night’s show.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8776447/Britains-Got-Talent-Comedy-singer-Jon-Courtenay-act-make-final.html

Anne...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And for those who didn't see it before, his first performance on BGT that propelled him to the semis.

Our first time sailing with Jon was on the crystal symphony September crossing from Dover to NYC city in 2007.  He brought his lovely wife and his son, Nat who is in this video.  NAT was 2 at that time!!!  It seems like yesterday.

it was a great cruise!!!  We’ve enjoyed all of our crystal cruise.  This sailing was our best cruise.

jim brochu, if you're reading this...it was wonderful to spend lots of time with you and the rest of the wonderful group of entertainers and incredible lecturers.  It was the start of many long term friendships!!! 🥰

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

Loved both the Courtenay videos. 

I do not have a September 28 sunrise photo in my archives.  When I was on the Oosterdam 3 years ago the outside decks were closed and the foghorn was sounding regularly.  I'm posting sunset from September 27; it was probably then the morning of September 28 Down Under:

dusk0927.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

All in unison: "I am the butler now!"

My privilege is not now to be pampered, fed and entertained on the Crystal ships - now it is to "butler" my feline friend Ms. Kierke (aka Kierkegaard) now honored in my profile photo. My thought is the viral pandemic might be a conspiracy by our four-legged friends to keep us home! If so, she is getting kinda bored with me, so maybe we will all get to travel again sooner rather than later. Can we hope?

• Like 3

I do not have a September 30 sunrise photo, so my last photo for September will be my last sunrise from my 2012 Crystal Symphony transatlantic.  It was September 18 and we were probably somewhere off the coast of New England:

dawn18.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

I have an abundance of October sunrises and sunsets, covering at least 5 cruise lines and some other travel and only lack a couple of days, most of which will be covered by sunsets from the previous day.  The first is from a Crystal Symphony cruise the first week of October 2012,  On October 1 we explored the Saguenay River:

dawn01.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

I have only one sunrise that is not cruise related.  My first attempt to circle the globe was inn 2003.  I crossed the Atlantic on a freighter, made some rail-ferry connections to Helsinki, and took the trans-Siberian railway to Beijing.  As I left my Moscow Hotel I got word that my trans-Pacific cruise on the Crystal Harmony had been cancelled due to SARS.  I had to fly back to North America, leaving me with an extra month of vacation time.  I used that time for a tour of Australia and New Zealand that fall.  Since I hate to fly, especially overnight, I booked a sequence of day flights (Auckland/Honolulu, rest day, Honolulu/SF, and SF/Baltimore).  On October 4, 2003, I watched the sun come up over Waikiki Beach:

KIF_0573.thumb.JPG.93a4c4600c68cad8195b1

Roy

• Like 5