Applying Future Cruise Credit

PJR184

THE DISAPPEARING FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT. 
There must be thousands of us getting FCC for cancelled cruises. If you have FCC of, say, £3,000 for a cancelled trip you're probably expecting it to reduce the final cost of a replacement cruise you've booked by £3,000....right? Well, according to my online UK travel agent.....wrong!

You'll need your maths head on to follow this, but persevere, it's fascinating! I've adjusted the actual numbers to try and keep it simple....

My agent routinely applies a 10% discount to cruise lines' basic fares excluding taxes and fees. So after an April cruise was cancelled, I booked a replacement for July next year and paid a deposit. Let's say the basic cruise fare was £5,000, and after the agent's 10% discount (£500) and my deposit (also £500) the balance payable was £ 4,000 plus taxes and fees.

So far so good. A few days later, the confirmed FCC - value £3,000 - was applied by the agent and I got a new invoice. But, instead of the balance payable now being £1000 plus taxes and fees as I expected, it was £1,300!

Why? Because the agent says that the T&C's of the FCC stipulate that it can only be applied to the basic cruise fare of £5,000. So they've reduced that to £2,000, deducted their 10% discount (now £200), applied my deposit (£500) and come up with a balance payable of £1,300 plus taxes and fees.

Can any cruisers or travel agents out there tell me where the missing £300 of FCC has gone?

Edited by PJR184
clarification

Welcome to cruise critic. FCV/FCC have terms & conditions that vary by cruise line, so what applies to 1 cruise line, doesn't apply to all.

Your TA, reduced your discount from your expected 500 to 200, so nothing to do with the FCC.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PJR184 said:

My agent routinely applies a 10% discount to cruise lines' basic fares excluding taxes and fees

They didn't apply 10% discount to the basic fare.  They applied it to the nett amount of the fare after the deduction of the FCC.

13 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

probably your TA is only getting commission on the 2000 GBP   so therefore the 10% discount  will be less

I do not see any problem

i should have said in my post that the cruise line, like most,  is 'protecting' agents' commissions - i.e. it is paying commissions on fully paid cruises that were subsequently cancelled (which mine was) AND on the full basic fares of cruises partly paid for with FCC.

Edited by PJR184
typo

9 minutes ago, PJR184 said:

i should have said in my post that the cruise line, like most,  is 'protecting' agents' commissions - i.e. it is paying commissions on fully paid cruises that were subsequently cancelled (which mine was) AND on the full basic fares of cruises partly paid for with FCC.

So the cruise line is protecting the commission on the cancelled cruise which you got  the 3000 FCC for

An now you booked a cruise for 5000 GBP   I am understanding your correctly?

LHT28 - yes.

It seems to me that the agents will profit from the missing £300 unless they re-think and re-invoice, which I hope they will. I wondered if anyone might know if other agents who give discounts are adopting this accounting practice despite the fact that  most cruise lines have announced that they are 'protecting' agents' commissions.

14 minutes ago, PJR184 said:

LHT28 - yes.

It seems to me that the agents will profit from the missing £300 unless they re-think and re-invoice, which I hope they will.

Maybe have a chat with your TA  & see if they will up the ante

But in the end it is their commission   if they choose to share or not  it is up to them

LHT28 - I'm waiting for them to get back to me. The way I see it is that it's my FCC, not their commission! Effectively, it's a repayment of money that I paid out last year for which I got nothing in return. I fail to see why they should keep part of it for themselves on top of their protected normal commission on both cruises (and their non-refundable service fee on both cruises which I also forgot to mention in the original post). 

17 minutes ago, PJR184 said:

LHT28 - I'm waiting for them to get back to me. The way I see it is that it's my FCC, not their commission! Effectively, it's a repayment of money that I paid out last year for which I got nothing in return. I fail to see why they should keep part of it for themselves on top of their protected normal commission on both cruises (and their non-refundable service fee on both cruises which I also forgot to mention in the original post). 

Good luck getting it resolved, but might be time to check for a new TA.

2 hours ago, PJR184 said:

The  way I see it  is the TA does not have to share their commission with you  at all

but if you think you deserve part their pay  then I would certainly let them know  they should  work for less so you can get a discount

Sorry I disagree with your  theory

21 hours ago, PJR184 said:

What happens if you book directly with the cruise ship?   Do you get to use your full FCC?   Oh, any chance the other 300FCC is still in your account to be used on a future cruise?

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

What happens if you book directly with the cruise ship?   Do you get to use your full FCC?   Oh, any chance the other 300FCC is still in your account to be used on a future cruise?

The entire UKP 3,000 FCC was applied to the base fare by the cruise line. Rather than providing 10% discount on base fare, the TA only provided the 10% discount on the outstanding balance.

If booking direct with the cruise line he would lose all TA discounts, so the balance would then be UKP 1,500

On 7/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, PJR184 said:

Why? Because the agent says that the T&C's of the FCC stipulate that it can only be applied to the basic cruise fare of £5,000. So they've reduced that to £2,000, deducted their 10% discount (now £200), applied my deposit (£500) and come up with a balance payable of £1,300 plus taxes and fees.

I would expect that to be the way it works. FCC applied first and then any TA discounts.  

I am pleased to advise that the Travel Agent has now agreed with my views and re-calculated the invoice so I now get the full value of the FCC. So if it happens to you, take heart, press your case, and take no notice of any 'experts' on Cruise Critic who say you're wrong!!!

• Like 1

News of interest to those who booked in the UK (I don't know whether it applies to EU, US, etc).

This link refers to "package holidays", so you need to confirm that it includes cruises.............

Those who have accepted refund credit notes (not vouchers) instead of cash refunds for ATOL-protected bookings will get their money back via ATOL's contingency fund even if their travel agent / operator goes belly-up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53448181

JB :classic_smile: