COVID-19 related discussions

Paulchili

May not matter what the CDC does in many cases. What if the destination country requires the airlines to perform the test and refuse boarding to those that fail? 

The cruise line could require the tests for boarding regardless of the CDC. A ship guaranteed without Covid makes many of the changes unnecessary. If no one on your flight has Covid, you won’t need a mask! 

• Like 1

A COVID-19 test is a snapshot in time. You don't have it today but get it tomorrow. The tests will tell you if you are positive or not. And newer faster testing as you board the ship could be useful. But not a "passport" or a test that is a few days old.

• Like 2

The article's second para:

"The clever contraption, which uses frequency to detect the deadly SARS-CoV-2, was designed by a team based at an Israeli university and has a success rate of more than 90 percent in trials to-date."

1. Sadly, it doesn't say whether the inaccurate tests are false positives or false negatives.

2. 90% accuracy isn't all that great. Suppose a cruise has 2,000 pax + crew. That's 200 wrong'uns every cycle.

Put another way: suppose over the course of your vacation you are tested seven times. The odds that all seven tests were correct are less than 50-50.

I guess it's a start, but it's not much more than a start. 

• Thanks 1

As pointed out above, a COVID test is only as valuable as it is accurate.  If a cruise line could guarantee with a 99% degree of certainty that everyone on the ship was COVID-free, then all of these mitigation actions would not have to be taken.  But since such a test does not exist, then the cruise line and its passengers need to do everything they can to eliminate or avoid the virus.  I for one would rather be safe than sorry and do everything I can while still cruising.

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks Lyn - I can always rely on your memory - mine is failing 🙂

Maybe I was thinking of P F Chang - it will be one of the first place I'll go when this is over 😀

I love most of their stuff but especially the 5 spice ribs and Mongolian beef.

YOU live in the SFBA and you go to PFChang's????? I'm shocked and so disappointed in you. No foie gras for you 🙂

• Like 1

I am ready to start cruising now.  I’ve noticed that many Oceania cruises in November show most categories as waitlisted.  When that happened before cruises got cancelled. I was hoping it just meant that they were limiting the passengers onboard.  We have a Regent cruise scheduled in November and O cruises scheduled for January and April.  I sure hope they all go.

I think I am responsible for myself.  I’m for making up my own mind (And following local laws) about when I need to wear masks, keeping myself socially distanced, not going anyplace that I think is a risk to me and repeatedly washing my hands.  I do not know anyone who has had Covid-19 and required any kind of medical treatment - let alone go to the ER or hospital.  I only know one person personally that has tested positive and they only had a fever for a couple days.

I do not know what the procedure is elsewhere but in this area anyone who has had contact with some one testing positive is tested, anyone undergoing elective surgery and anyone who has symptoms is tested.  Considering that most people tested think they might have it, the percent positive is very low.

I don’t know how cruise lines survive if they don’t start sailing soon - I sure hope they do.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

The article's second para:

"The clever contraption, which uses frequency to detect the deadly SARS-CoV-2, was designed by a team based at an Israeli university and has a success rate of more than 90 percent in trials to-date."

1. Sadly, it doesn't say whether the inaccurate tests are false positives or false negatives.

2. 90% accuracy isn't all that great. Suppose a cruise has 2,000 pax + crew. That's 200 wrong'uns every cycle.

Put another way: suppose over the course of your vacation you are tested seven times. The odds that all seven tests were correct are less than 50-50.

I guess it's a start, but it's not much more than a start. 

If one is tested preflight and passes there is a 90% chance of being virus free. If those that made the flight are again tested pre boarding, and pass, the odds are 99% everyone is virus free upon boarding. Not bad odds for most of us. Unacceptable for others.

Would they feel better if a Day 0 is added? Everyone is tested preflight, then tested again on Day 0, then tested pre boarding ( Day1). That produces 0.01% chance of infection!

How about this. All those 99.9% virus free passengers are quarantined for 24 hours and tested again on Day 2. Anyone failing gets put of the ship that hasn’t left dock? At 99.99% safe, still not enough for some! They need to just stay home anyway!

Edited by pinotlover

1 minute ago, tennis said:

I think I am responsible for myself.

You bet you are but about the only way to do that is to self-isolate. Governments and corporations are going to decide what you may do when on their land or ships

29 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If one is tested preflight and passes there is a 90% chance of being virus free. If those that made the flight are again tested pre boarding, and pass, the odds are 99% everyone is virus free upon boarding. Not bad odds for most of us. Unacceptable for others.

Would they feel better if a Day 0 is added? Everyone is tested preflight, then tested again on Day 0, then tested pre boarding ( Day1). That produces 0.01% chance of infection!

How about this. All those 99.9% virus free passengers are quarantined for 24 hours and tested again on Day 2. Anyone failing gets put of the ship that hasn’t left dock? At 99.99% safe, still not enough for some! They need to just stay home anyway!

You’re either joking, (if so, congrats, you really really trolled me!) or you need a refresher in junior high math probability

If you test 100% and fail 10%. You have a 90% pass rate. If you retest those 90 that passed, and pull out those that fail,

there is a 99% chance that those passing do not have the disease. Etc.

Not sure about your math!

22 hours ago, clo said:

Why are they "environmentally" deprived? My grands are out riding their bikes constantly, going to parks, hidden beaches, you name it.

Why can't they move their own pieces around?

They can move their own pieces around just fine. You probably are not familiar with the games Candyland and Chutes & Ladders. It's primarily for 3 and 4 year olds.

I can't move my player around, spin or pick up cards without being present in the same room. They need to do those things for me in order for me to "play" the game.

The point of the post was to share ideas for Zoom and Facetime about what games that I've found helpful to bond with my younger 1-6 year old grandkids and share some happy times when we have to be far apart. 

If you have some constructive ideas for what to play on Zoom and FT I'm all ears.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I can't move my player around, spin or pick up cards without being present in the same room.

Oh, I see now.

What about  that "environmentally" deprived?

5 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Fascinating!  I continue to be amazed by the collective intellectual capabilities of scientists on a global mission.  What a great step forward.  Thank you for sharing!

6 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Why not open up and look at the GOOD that was in that post? Why focus on the negative? It's a time waster!

Why take the bait ??  LOL

Just ignore her

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Why not open up and look at the GOOD that was in that post? Why focus on the negative? It's a time waster!

I had no idea how this related to cruising and still don't. Truly. 

2 hours ago, clo said:

YOU live in the SFBA and you go to PFChang's????? I'm shocked and so disappointed in you. No foie gras for you 🙂

Times they are-a-changin'.

I spent the 70's in NYC and would never eat in a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown that had table cloths. Authentic Chinese food had to be in small dingy, dark  - usually underground - places or else it couldn't be any good.

These days you can get fantastic Chinese food in very nice places with white table cloths (not necessarily just PF Chang). W. Puck had a couple of fabulous upscale restaurants called Chinois. There used to be a fantastic upscale restaurant in the city called Tommy Toy's (only place in the city that still required jackets) - the food was incredible. I often had my birthday dinners there.

I eat in all types of Chinese restaurants and PF Chang does make several dishes very well. You do not have to go to a greasy spoon Chinese restaurant to get good Chinese food anymore.

The best Dim Sum in the city is in the most expensive Dim Sum restaurant and it matches (and usually beats) everything I've ever had in Hong Kong, London, Toronto or Sydney (been to each of those places many times and tried many different places). They were all very good and had some different and interesting dishes but overall not better than Yank Sing.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

The point of the post was to share ideas for Zoom and Facetime about what games that I've found helpful to bond with my younger 1-6 year old grandkids and share some happy times when we have to be far apart. 

And my point is I don't see how this relates to cruising and especially not cruising on a specific line. And I don't see how it relates to COVID.  My grands live over 200 and 700 miles away and we seem to have a grand old time Isn't there some "Floataway" board that talks about such things?

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Times they are-a-changin'.

I spent the 70's in NYC and would never eat in a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown that had table cloths. Authentic Chinese food had to be in small dingy, dark small - usually underground -places or else it couldn't be any good.

These days you can get fantastic Chinese food in very nice places with white table cloths (not necessarily just PF Chang). W. Puck had a couple of fabulous upscale restaurants called Chinois. There used to be a fantastic upscale restaurant in the city called Tommy Toy's (only place in the city that still required jackets) - the food was incredible. I often had my birthday dinners there.

I eat in all types of Chinese restaurants and PF Chang does make several dishes very well. You do not have to go to a greasy spoon Chinese restaurant to get good Chinese food anymore.

The best Dim Sum in the city is in the most expensive Dim Sum restaurant and it matches (and usually beats) everything I've ever had in Hong Kong, London or Sydney (been to each of those places many times and tried many different places).

JMO.

But Chang's is barely Chinese-American and is owned by some big conglomerate. 

I know the place - In Ghirardelli,right? I haven't been there yet but have been to their sister Dragon Beaux. After living in SF we moved to SW Oregon and spent years, except when traveling, having no choice but to eat at chains. Except for drive-thru fast food when traveling we don't eat at them any more.

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If you have some constructive ideas for what to play on Zoom and FT I'm all ears.

I'm getting ready to play Monopoly via FaceTime with 12 & 10 year old grandkids who live in OK. Was looking forward to flying them out to San Diego for a week this summer, but cancelled, so this will have to do for now. All those games are great ideas, need to try the Bingo😁

Wonder how virtual Bunco would work with my friends??

• Like 1