COVID-19 related discussions

Paulchili

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

She describes it as a really bad cold and after a few days, is feeling much better.  So I guess this is a mild case?  Would people start to feel better if more information on the recovery process were addressed? 

Yesterday I read a piece about an 8 y.o. kid who has been in bed for 108 days! And has never tested positive. But they've eliminated everything else it can be and xrays are showing the frequent lung issues. The rest of the family got it and recovered.

Edited by clo

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks - it is amazing what talented people are capable of doing when putting their minds to it.

I am sure there is more to come in the near future from around the world.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, clo said:

We actually talk on the phone to our kids and grands. And we write letters and send pictures.

Well, those are not that easy to do when the only grandkids are two  and one years of age and over 600 miles away, which is why FaceTime indeed is such a blessing for many!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Well, those are not that easy to do when the only grandkids are two  and one years of age and over 600 miles away, which is why FaceTime indeed is such a blessing for many!

Very true. But probably not playing games either. Ours are 4 and 8 so that makes a big difference.

24 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Pam- it is such a joy to maintain that bond on FT and let them know that you're still grandma and love them to pieces. I play cars and trucks with them with the one and two year old grandsons, and "guess where granny's toys are". I hide toys under the pillows etc around the house. I load up on cheap toys at the Dollar Store and carry the Ipad around the house. We play a lot of "birthday party" too. One of their toys or stuffed animals is always having a birthday. Short attention span but I think they know I'm trying!

You probably have "games" you play with the youngest ones too, and I'd love ideas for more. FT is a small miracle in COVID times. Even the 2 year old (almost 3) tells me he can't visit me till "no more forona virus".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

We’ve been tested and isolated since. Virus free. My grand daughters , 8&10, are coming to spend a week on Friday. We’ll have plenty of face time and make real memories together.

Lucky you! Have a wonderful time 🙂

48 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

If you want to read a feel good story from the most unlikely place, take a look at this:

https://medium.com/@indica/covid-underdogs-mongolia-3b0c162427c2

Wonderful story. Well written and a fun read.

I love the line, "At the slightest provocation from COVID-19, Mongolia would — in public health terms — go ape----!"

I see where Miami is now considered the epicenter of the outbreak in the US. That doesn't bode well for cruising starting back any time soon. Numbers are going in the wrong way pretty much everywhere I look. 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I see where Miami is now considered the epicenter of the outbreak in the US. That doesn't bode well for cruising starting back any time soon. Numbers are going in the wrong way pretty much everywhere I look. 

I don't disagree with you if it's true.  And there is so much conflicting information out there from all news sources, right, left and center.  Just today, I came across this article.  It's compelling if it's true.  Who knows what to believe anymore?  

This is from an Orlando news outlet...

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-florida-department-of-health-says-some-labs-have-not-reported-negative-covid-19-results

Disclaimer:  I'm only looking for info. because I want to cruise..not because I want to debate the validity of COVID numbers. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Disclaimer:  I'm only looking for info. because I want to cruise..not because I want to debate the validity of COVID numbers. 

I look at the John Hopkins site  but I suppose if the labs are not reporting correctly  then  it is not good either

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Zoom in on Florida  then bottom right they have the daily cases

• Like 1

I didn’t want to Covidtize the Miss Dottie thread, so here is trivia question for you to guess on:

Oceania has told us they will do a staggered reopening of sailings. Who will be the first couple Cruise Directors out? Will it be done by seniority, so Dave and Dottie? Or, will they pass to wait and see and we’ll see a more junior league?

I was looking at a stock market page just now and see that Royal Caribbean & Norwegian are two of the biggest movers today, around 18 or 19% up. I wonder if that is tied to the positive vaccine news today? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I was looking at a stock market page just now and see that Royal Caribbean & Norwegian are two of the biggest movers today, around 18 or 19% up. I wonder if that is tied to the positive vaccine news today? 

All three of the cruise line companies were up today.  The only reason I can find is the news on the vaccine from Moderna.  I wish it was more cruise related -- like one of the cruise lines has given a firm date when they will restart.

Here's a damning article from today's Washington Post.  The headline contrasts the dismal U.S. response to the pandemic with the much more successful Canadian response.

For those who run up against the Post's paywall, I've summarized the key points in the article:

*   Canada faced an easier task -- fewer people and less density.

*   Canada adopted earlier and more successful testing.

*   Canada's lockdowns were strict, broadly uniform, and widely followed.

*   Canadians have been "less divided and more disciplined" in the face of the pandemic -- the so-called Team Canada approach (federal and provincial governments on the same page).

*   Compared to certain U.S. states, Canadian provinces were much more cautious about loosening restrictions.

*   Canada doesn't have the COVID skeptics that inhabit a certain U.S. political party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/coronavirus-canada-united-states/2020/07/14/0686330a-c14c-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ORV said:

11 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

All three of the cruise line companies were up today.  The only reason I can find is the news on the vaccine from Moderna.  I wish it was more cruise related -- like one of the cruise lines has given a firm date when they will restart.

The entire market is up on the vaccine news from Moderna. The cruise lines are obviously among the industries that stand to benefit the most from a vaccine...so yes...that's why each of the big three were up far more than the market as a whole.

Of course the cruise line stocks are extremely volatile and typically lose more on bad news than the market as a whole. Just look at where their stocks were on January 2 versus where they are today...on Jan 2 NCLH closed at 58.83, on March 18 it closed at 7.77, and today 18.50. Even with today's substantial boost NCLH has lost about 2/3rds of what its market value was at the start at the start of the year.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:03 PM, Petoonya said:

Even the 2 year old (almost 3) tells me he can't visit me till "no more forona virus".

I still remember our grandson at that age telling his Mom that we wanted to see "Gwanda Winda & Gampa Paul on the pewter". Even though we're 1500 miles apart, thanks to Skype & then FT we were never strangers. Would love to see them in person, but their Dad is a renal transplant patient & don't want to risk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I didn’t want to Covidtize the Miss Dottie thread, so here is trivia question for you to guess on:

Oceania has told us they will do a staggered reopening of sailings. Who will be the first couple Cruise Directors out? Will it be done by seniority, so Dave and Dottie? Or, will they pass to wait and see and we’ll see a more junior league?

They have no idea  at this time..we could make guess mine would be Leslie Jon 

Jancruz1

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, clo said:

Wouldn't that have to first come from the CDC?

It could come from a cruise line after consulting CDC. What I meant was the large uptick in the cruise lines stock could, but did not, occur because one of the companies announced when they would start cruising.

4 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

It could come from a cruise line after consulting CDC. What I meant was the large uptick in the cruise lines stock could, but did not, occur because one of the companies announced when they would start cruising.

I don't think it's going to be "consulting" the CDC. I believe the CDC will be issuing  a release from the "no sail" some day. And, of course, all the various world governments including and especially the EU will have to allow us to enter. When I think about how slowly governments and corporations move, all the backs and forths, it's one of the main reason I'm guessing 2022.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

They have no idea  at this time..we could make guess mine would be Leslie Jon 

Jancruz1

That would be my guess as well. He has always been the first CD on all of the O ships.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here's a damning article from today's Washington Post.  The headline contrasts the dismal U.S. response to the pandemic with the much more successful Canadian response.

Well, we certainly have been careful. We hadn't seen our family between March 8 and June 27, even though they are an hour away. But then we were allowed social circles of 10 - and monogamous circles! No one could be in more than one circle. 

My city, Toronto and surrounding area ( about 7 million) were held back a couple of weeks reopening restaurant patios. Not that we have been yet. Too cautious and want to wait until things are working smoothly. 

Even our Conservative premier (like state governor, I guess) has been listening to the public health officials - mostly. 

Many of our areas have adopted compulsory masks, but no penalty for the customer who refuses. The Conservative premier of Alberta has said it is people's civic duty to wear a mask! 

I don't know anyone here who has had COVID-19 but my daughter got tested on Saturday morning. Negative. Must be a virulent summer hay fever or similar. 

I am waiting for the Canada-wide app based on the Apple / Google base. There is one in the works. Not sure how many people will load it, but I will. I can only hope that if I do come into contact with someone, they will be civic-minded enough to have loaded it on theirs!

One of our Public Health officials, Bonnie Henry, (actually for British Columbia) has become an icon for her caring, careful, thoughtful and science-based reports to the public. 

• Thanks 1