Carnival Corporation to Sell 13 Cruise Ships

Copper10-8

From Cruise Industry News:

July 10, 2020

Carnival Corporation to Sell 13 Cruise Ships

Carnival Corporation said it intends to further accelerate the removal of ships from its fleet in 2020.

It added these are ships that were previously expected to leave the fleet in coming years, the company said, in a press release. 

"We have aggressively shed less efficient ships," said CEO Arnold Donald, on Carnival's business update call on Friday. 

Carnival said it sold one ship in June 2020, presumed to be the Costa Victoria, and has agreements for the disposal of five ships and preliminary agreements for an additional three ships, all of which are expected to leave the fleet in the next 90 days. The P&O Oceana was also sold earlier this week and is leaving the fleet in July.

Carnival said these agreements are in addition to the sale of four ships, which were announced prior to fiscal 2020. These ships are presumed to be the Pacific Aria and Pacific Dawn, which will transfer to Cruise & Maritime Voyages, as well as the Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea, which have been sold into a Carnival's joint venture with China State Shipbuilding Corporation. 

In addition, company executives said that most ships that are leaving the Carnival fleet will stay in service. 

In total, the 13 ships expected to leave the fleet represent a nearly nine percent reduction in current capacity as opposed to being scrapped.

• Thanks 1

The surprise to me is that only 13 ship, 9 percent  of capacity will leave the corporate fleet.  I was anticipating more like 15 percent or more of capacity would be retired.   

What would be interesting to know is what percentage of revenue and profit  those 13 ships ( 9 percent  of capacity), represent.

Edited by iancal

17 minutes ago, iancal said:

The surprise to me is that only 13 ship, 9 percent  of capacity will leave the corporate fleet.  I was anticipating more like 15 percent or more of capacity would be retired.   

What would be interesting to know is what percentage of revenue and profit  those 13 ships ( 9 percent  of capacity), represent.

I would not assume this is all the ships leaving.  I expect before this is over more ships will either be sold or sent to the scrap heap.  I will be surprised if HAL has eight ships in the fall of 2021.

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I would not assume this is all the ships leaving.  I expect before this is over more ships will either be sold or sent to the scrap heap.  I will be surprised if HAL has eight ships in the fall of 2021.

I agree that this is probably not the end of the ship disposal across all the lines. I would expect that announcements would only be forthcoming once deals are finalized for blocks of ships. I would nice to see some details on what lines are losing ships and were they are going. The article implies that most are staying in service, I just can't see where they would go. Cruising as a vacation pastime is going to take a long, long time to recover to previous levels. Whats going to be interesting is what kind of ships are going to be the most desirable in the post-Covid world. I think the days of the mega-ship have past. 

Leaving the Carnival Corp fleet:

1. Costa Atlantica to China State Shipbuilding Corporation

2. Costa Mediterranea to China State Shipbuilding Corporation

3. Costa Victoria to San Giorgio del Porto Group shipyard for scrapping

4. P&O Australia Pacific Aria (formerly HAL Ryndam) to Cruise & Maritime Voyages

5. P&O Australia Pacific Dawn to Cruise & Maritime Voyages

6. P&O Oceana to to unidentified buyer

7. Unidentified as of yet

8. Unidentified as of yet

9. Unidentified as of yet

10. Unidentified as of yet

11. Unidentified as of yet

12. Unidentified as of yet

13. Unidentified as of yet

Ships being mentioned as leaving but unconfirmed:

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Elation

Carnival Ecstasy 

Carnival Fantasy 

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

Princess' Pacific Princess

Princess' Sea Princess

Princess' Sun Princess

Costa neoRomantica

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

Thank you very much for this summary.  I find it interesting that according to Vesselfinder.com, the Maasdam and Veendam are traveling together through the Indian Ocean en route to the Suez Canal...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Thank you very much for this summary.  I find it interesting that according to Vesselfinder.com, the Maasdam and Veendam are traveling together through the Indian Ocean en route to the Suez Canal...

Yeah, I noticed that; both currently in the Strait of Malacca along with Crown Princess; ETA at the Canal, one week from today

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks Copper.  I guess Carnival is dropping all the smaller ships.  That is one I would have considered sailing.

Just now, kazu said:

Thanks Copper.  I guess Carnival is dropping all the smaller ships.  That is one I would have considered sailing.

The older ships in the different Carnival group brands seem to be prime candidates which makes sense! Not yet confirmed on Pacific Princess and the others, however..........

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The older ships in the different Carnival group brands seem to be prime candidates which makes sense! Not yet confirmed on Pacific Princess and the others, however..........

It does make sense but sadly the smaller ships like the Prinsendam were a jewel.

I might have to learn some German and sail on the Phoenix Riesen 😉. Apparently they weren’t nervous to sink a pile of euros into her.  If only HAL had done the same 😞😉 

I wonder how financially strong companies like Cruise and Maritime Voyages are as well as Phoenix Riesen going to be in order to be able to continue to operate whatever ships that are discarded by CCL.  

If there are other vessels to leave the CCL fleets, why the secrecy?  Why not say what those vessels are other than "unidentified as of yet"?  I'll bet they have been identified.  Maybe a confirmed buyer, or scrapyard, has not yet been confirmed?  

2 hours ago, kazu said:

It does make sense but sadly the smaller ships like the Prinsendam were a jewel.

I might have to learn some German and sail on the Phoenix Riesen 😉. Apparently they weren’t nervous to sink a pile of euros into her.  If only HAL had done the same 😞😉 

And maybe the Veendam and Maasdam are on the way there too..

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder how financially strong companies like Cruise and Maritime Voyages are as well as Phoenix Riesen going to be in order to be able to continue to operate whatever ships that are discarded by CCL.  

If there are other vessels to leave the CCL fleets, why the secrecy?  Why not say what those vessels are other than "unidentified as of yet"?  I'll bet they have been identified.  Maybe a confirmed buyer, or scrapyard, has not yet been confirmed?  

I imagine it's the latter. In the past, lines have avoided mentioning vessels for sale (even when one can find their listings via various sources) -- presumably they think passengers may avoid a ship that is 'on the market' because of potential issues with morale, maintenance, etc.  

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I wonder if Oceania or Azamara would invest in another old R-class ship?

What does this say to me, like the airlines they need to make serious adjustments as we are at the tip of macro economic change in travel and leisure.  

Unless a miracle virus shows up or by "Just stay calm. It will go away" things will really change, sadly not to our fond memories of the past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doncarlos said:

....and delay delivery of 4 of the 9 due for delivery FY 20-21.....which ones ??????????   the Ryndam ????????

I'd really like to know if the Ryndam is is the "delay" category and if so, for how long.......We are hoping/dreaming/wishing/booked to sail her in October 2021.

• Like 1

I would think that the cruise lines have several contingency plans as it relates to ship disposasl based on the length of time until resumption of normal operations and on cash flows or credit facilities.

Covid is here.   Based on the response to date and on the current numbers ,and without a significant change in direction. I do not see how the cruise lines can even guess when cruising will resume in NA and/or for North Americans.    It is a tragedy..

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, boards said:

What about all the employees from these ships?  What will happen to them?

A number of them will not be offered new contracts until the climate and demand improves; some will be furloughed; others will retire. It has already happened to a number of shoreside employees of the lines 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I wonder if Oceania or Azamara would invest in another old R-class ship?

That would make them the oldest ships in their fleet but time will tell. The Germans (TransOcean Tours, the German branch of Cruise & Maritime Voyages) now have the lead ship of the "S" class, Statendam as Vasco da Gama and will get another sister, the former Ryndam, next year as Ida Pfeiffer. Might be a better fit for Maasie and Veendam if they are going exit stage left

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Leaving the Carnival Corp fleet:

1. Costa Atlantica to China State Shipbuilding Corporation

2. Costa Mediterranea to China State Shipbuilding Corporation

3. Costa Victoria to San Giorgio del Porto Group shipyard for scrapping

4. P&O Australia Pacific Aria (formerly HAL Ryndam) to Cruise & Maritime Voyages

5. P&O Australia Pacific Dawn to Cruise & Maritime Voyages

6. P&O Oceana to to unidentified buyer

7. Unidentified as of yet

8. Unidentified as of yet

9. Unidentified as of yet

10. Unidentified as of yet

11. Unidentified as of yet

12. Unidentified as of yet

13. Unidentified as of yet

Ships being mentioned as leaving but unconfirmed:

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Elation

Carnival Ecstasy 

Carnival Fantasy 

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

Princess' Sea Princess

Princess' Sun Princess

Costa neoRomantica

Those woul be the two oldest ships in the HAL fleet.  The MAASDAM came out in 1993 and the VEENDAM in 1996.