Who feels good about an oct start date?

seaman11

25 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

And I'm talking the citizens, not the government. It's in our power to halt this thing, be we aren't capable of it for so many reasons.

So true! When you have a country of me first people and I refuse to live in fear people, you get the mess our country is currently in with no end in sight.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Our cruise leaves from San Diego on 10/31 to Cabo.  I think they are going to cancel but I just hope it's before the final payment is due.  It's a 5 day so it's due around 8/15 or so.  Mexican borders are closed to the US as of now except essential goods/workers and CA is a "hot spot" right now with restaurants and bars closed for dine in or closed completely.  It just doesn't look good.  If it's cancelled, I think we will still fly to CA and stay in the airbnb we got for a few days before the cruise. 

I've flown during the pandemic and I would cruise as well if they would let us!

I guess we just all have to wait.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I seriously doubt it will open up by then.  As of right now, the only port accepting visitors is Puerto Rico and they are very strict about having had a test before you can enter.  The CDC has not said that cruising can start again.  The crews are still scattered all over the world.  I would be surprised if our February 20, 2021 cruise sails.  (She is supposed to resume cruising on February 6th, 2021.)

Just to clarify, USVI, Dominican Republic, Mexico are all open to visitors. Aruba opened yesterday. Turks & Caicos opens week after next. This of course is all by air, not ships. 

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I've been flying on a weekly basis (for work) during the entire pandemic. I've become accustomed to all the safety protocols and guidelines in place. It's become such a controlled and strict environment that I feel safer flying than engaging in pretty much any other activity besides staying home. The attached video summarizes what I've experienced. 

Concerning an October restart, I have my eyes on Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line's restart slated for July 25th. As of right now, they are still planning on commencing then their 2 night itineraries to the Bahamas from Palm Beach aboard the Grand Celebration. If they can successfully pull it off, I'll feel more confident about the rest of the industry restarting in October. But if its a failed attempt, or if an outbreak occurs as a result of this decision, it may set back the entire cruise industry even longer. 

It seems like people flying on a plane for longer than two hours would probably have to drink something, which means removing their masks.  If you are sitting near someone removing their mask to drink, I am just not sure how well that would work if that person has the virus.

Thankfully, I don't need to travel by plane anywhere.  My relatives want me to visit, but they know I don't feel like taking the risk by flying.  These flights would not be direct, so there's the additional layover time in airports.   I just can't see how people are flying longer than a couple of hours without ever removing their masks to drink something.

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I've been flying on a weekly basis (for work) during the entire pandemic. I've become accustomed to all the safety protocols and guidelines in place. It's become such a controlled and strict environment that I feel safer flying than engaging in pretty much any other activity besides staying home. The attached video summarizes what I've experienced. 

Concerning an October restart, I have my eyes on Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line's restart slated for July 25th. As of right now, they are still planning on commencing then their 2 night itineraries to the Bahamas from Palm Beach aboard the Grand Celebration. If they can successfully pull it off, I'll feel more confident about the rest of the industry restarting in October. But if its a failed attempt, or if an outbreak occurs as a result of this decision, it may set back the entire cruise industry even longer. 

If Carnival Cruise line Aida has a successful restart in August in Europe, then Carnival will probably resume operations in the Caribbean in October.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, travelhound said:

If Carnival Cruise line Aida has a successful restart in August in Europe, then Carnival will probably resume operations in the Caribbean in October.

You are forgetting two big differences:

1. Europe is in far better shape than the US  virus wise.

2. Carnival has to deal with the CDC (I assume you mean cruises from the US to the Caribbean). 

My opinion is just that an opinion, but I don’t think there is any chance of Carnival cruising from the US this October. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

At long last, a post that gets to the point.

At long last, a thread where "the majority" agree with me!

To be very clear:  I would be very happy if Carnival could safely resume cruising in Oct.  I do not think Carnival can or will resume cruising in Oct, based on the information available on 7/11/20.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like people flying on a plane for longer than two hours would probably have to drink something, which means removing their masks.  If you are sitting near someone removing their mask to drink, I am just not sure how well that would work if that person has the virus.

Granted, people will need to momentarily remove their mask to take a sip of their water, but then they are required to put it back on. The expulsion of droplets in the air while drinking off a bottle of water is minimal compared to when talking or coughing which is when maintaining separation and having a mask on becomes critical. Airlines like Delta have teamed up with the Mayo Clinic to research all possible scenarios (like the one you presented) and to ensure that the protocols in place are effective. 

In addition to that, watch the video to see how air flows in an airplane. Forced from the top to bottom (not side to side), through hospital grade HEPA filters that remove 99.99% of particles, and air that's completely filtered and recycled every 2-4 minutes. You'll be hard pressed to find that level of clean air anywhere on land. 

Being coughed on by an idiot standing too close with no mask at the supermarket 's checkout line is in my opinion a more likely scenario (because I've experienced it) than being contaminated by a fellow passengers on a plane with the current strict protocols in place. What I've experienced when flying is that most people are very cognizant of their surroundings and fellow passengers, and they do abide by the rules in place (partly because several airlines have made it clear that passengers who do not abide by the rules can and will be banned for life). 

Please know that I'm not trying to convince you to start flying again. I respect and encourage people's decisions to stay home and avoid non-essential activities. But for people like me who are required to fly during these times, I do want to place risks and fears in the proper context. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

At long last, a thread where "the majority" agree with me!

To be very clear:  I would be very happy if Carnival could safely resume cruising in Oct.  I do not think Carnival can or will resume cruising in Oct, based on the information available on 7/11/20.

I think jimbo is correct where he says the op is poking fun. His post if tongue in cheek. Hes joking. 

There probably isnt anyone including the op who thinks carnival will resume in Oct, or probably this year.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I think jimbo is correct where he says the op is poking fun. His post if tongue in cheek. Hes joking. 

There probably isnt anyone including the op who thinks carnival will resume in Oct, or probably this year.

And remember how I was burned at the stake  when I said they wouldn't be sailing in August. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

And remember how I was burned at the stake  when I said they wouldn't be sailing in August. 

I dont think that was what the reaction was about entirely. I think it was the posts where you kept saying if we weren't where you are and see what you saw we dont get it. You repeatedly posted and still this post as if others dont understand. No one likes being told they dont get it. 

I'm sure you have seen more than myself or others, but that doesnt mean we dont understand the situation. I'm sure in person we would sit down over a cup of coffee and probably be friends. 

Peace

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think that was what the reaction was about entirely. I think it was the posts where you kept saying if we weren't where you are and see what you saw we dont get it. You repeatedly posted and still this post as if others dont understand. No one likes being told they dont get it. 

I'm sure you have seen more than myself or others, but that doesnt mean we dont understand the situation. I'm sure in person we would sit down over a cup of coffee and probably be friends. 

Peace

No...I was being flamed because people were, as they say in the theatre, "suspending disbelief".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No...I was being flamed because people were, as they say in the theatre, "suspending disbelief".

Were you surprised, you were more than vocal on the topic.  You handled it well, everybody gets an opinion.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am looking forward to Carnival starting short cruises from the US this fall.  I hope it happens and is successful.  I think two night cruises could be very successful and realistic for this fall.

I agree, Carnival will probably start with 3-4 day cruises in the Caribbean.  Mostly catering to college kids, young families and the young at heart.

Miami has now been declared THE covid hot spot in the US,   Much like NYC was back in April/May.  Thankfully, there has been many less dying, but the number of cases have boomed.   Add the fact that Carnival has pulled out of Fort Lauderdale, it doesn't bode well for the multitude of Carnival sailings out the south Florida region.

18 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Well, IMO he's doing the right thing. However, it will be interesting to see the reaction from the general population. I hope people comply, but with anything mandatory comes a lot of push-back.

Many Kentuckians are pushing back against our new mask mandate from our Governor.  It's amazing to me how people can be

so resistant to a simple measure that can help us keep our businesses open and give us all a little more freedom to go about our daily lives.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chrystine5 said:

Well I for one have a 7 day booked for October 24th out of Galveston, and I hold out hope that it will still sail. I will gladly be a guinea  pig.

I sure hope you sail too! Keeping my fingers crossed! 🤞

• Like 1