Lift and Shift extended

Edinburghgirl1

As it’s looking less likely cruising will resume this year or maybe even first quarter of next year due to Covid 19 spiralling out of control in many countries, including the US, do you think it’s likely Lift and Shift will be extended beyond the 1st of August? 

5 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

As it’s looking less likely cruising will resume this year or maybe even first quarter of next year due to Covid 19 spiralling out of control in many countries, including the US, do you think it’s likely Lift and Shift will be extended beyond the 1st of August? 

I was thinking about this last week when we decided to lift and shift next Feb cruise. We did not want to take the risk and wait for them to extend it at the last minute but I think it’s highly likely. It makes sense because they are keeping bookings rather than having to give refunds and it works for many cruisers because it’s often a saving. The same cruise we have moved to in 2022 actually came out around £30 less for us, If we had made a new booking it was over £500 more than we paid and we also keep our $200 OBC which we would not have received with the new booking.

I think it's going to depend on if they think the crazy high pricing they have on most 2021/2022 sailings now will hold and they can sell new bookings at those prices.   The CEO of Carnival was on CNBC yesterday and was saying new bookings for 2021 were within historical ranges.  He also said that it was 60% new bookings, not just people moving bookings from this year.

Another factor I believe will be if they actually have a return to sailing plan by then.  Which i don't believe they will, at least not for the US.

They may just say "you had your chance".    I wish they would extend it as I have a great price on a 1/4/2020 Connie sailing that I'm still a little hopeful will sail.  I don't think I will be willing to give up on it and shift it to 2020 before August 1.  I'd like to have the opportunity in Oct when final payment comes along.

I’ve also got a great rate for a  B2B in a suite on the Constellation for March 2021. Of all our upcoming holidays this was the one we were sure would be fine but  I’m not so sure now. . I too don’t want to move it before 1st August as things may improve and it is  nearly 8 months till the first cruise. Hope they do extend it then we’ll have that option. 

16 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I’ve also got a great rate for a  B2B in a suite on the Constellation for March 2021. Of all our upcoming holidays this was the one we were sure would be fine but  I’m not so sure now. . I too don’t want to move it before 1st August as things may improve and it is  nearly 8 months till the first cruise. Hope they do extend it then we’ll have that option. 

We were confident our February cruise would go ahead with no real changes to the cruise experience up to three weeks or so ago but we now just don’t see things improving and all restrictions been dropped by February. The other huge worry  for us was a possible second wave next winter, it’s a cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and many people really got stung at the last minute in Asia this spring. We have no interest in spending thousands of pounds, booking flights, and paying in advance to stay at Raffles only for the experience to be diminished. I still think the cruise will go ahead but we are in an inside cabin and that’s not where you want to be if there are problems.

• Like 1

I did a cruise with NCL from Hong King to Singapore at the end of January this year. Think we were the last cruise which wasn’t impacted or cancelled. Was my 3rd time in Hong Kong and in Singapore. Love them both in fact Asia is our favourite holiday destination. 

2 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I did a cruise with NCL from Hong King to Singapore at the end of January this year. Think we were the last cruise which wasn’t impacted or cancelled. Was my 3rd time in Hong Kong and in Singapore. Love them both in fact Asia is our favourite holiday destination. 

It will be our first time to that part of the world and we really want it to be as special as it can be. The big plus in putting it off for another year is we can afford to extend our stay at the end of the cruise at Raffles to  four nights and treat ourselves a little more in general.

Unfortunately we can guess all we want but none of us has other than a zero chance of knowing for sure.  I certainly hope so as I am guessing many more cruises will be cancelled.  I would hate to think that those of us who were patient and loyal and hopeful would ultimately miss out as opposed to those who decided to not take the risk (not criticizing them; just saying essentially that we left our money with Celebrity and should get at least the same consideration as those that didn't).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately we can guess all we want but none of us has other than a zero chance of knowing for sure.  I certainly hope so as I am guessing many more cruises will be cancelled.  I would hate to think that those of us who were patient and loyal and hopeful would ultimately miss out as opposed to those who decided to not take the risk (not criticizing them; just saying essentially that we left our money with Celebrity and should get at least the same consideration as those that didn't).

What I am seeing for the  cruises I could l & s is that there are no suites available to shift to.

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hopefully it works out for you.

Considering that RCCL have put considerable effort into creating an automated tool for Lift & Shift bookings, along with redeeming FCC's and requesting refunds, I'd venture to guess it will be here for some time to come, perhaps extended by 30-60 days at a time on a rolling basis until we see some new sort of "normal" return to the industry.

1 hour ago, texas tornados said:

What exactly is a lift and slip?

Lift & Shift allows you to move an existing booking to a comparable sailing without losing perks and keeping the same price as the original sailing.  Some of the rules are:

• currently the shift has to be done by August 1, 2020;
  • the new sailing has to be a year from the original +/- 30 days;
  • the length of the new cruise has to be the same as old one; 
  • the cruising region has to be the same as the old cruise (you can substitute Western Caribbean for Eastern but not Caribbean for Alaska); 
  • you can switch from an M class to an S class or visa versa;
  • if you are on an S or M class you cannot switch to an E class;
  • unless the original is a Galapagos cruise you cannot switch to one
  • you cannot switch to a holiday sailing unless your original sailing was a holiday sailing.

I think this about covers it. The full rules are on Celebrity's web site.

We shifted from a 7 day B2B cruise on Edge in 2021 to Apex in 2022 at the same price as the Edge booking.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Lift & Shift allows you to move an existing booking to a comparable sailing without losing perks and keeping the same price as the original sailing.  Some of the rules are:

• currently the shift has to be done by August 1, 2020;
  • the new sailing has to be a year from the original +/- 30 days;
  • the length of the new cruise has to be the same as old one; 
  • the cruising region has to be the same as the old cruise (you can substitute Western Caribbean for Eastern but not Caribbean for Alaska); 
  • you can switch from an M class to an S class or visa versa;
  • if you are on an S or M class you cannot switch to an E class;
  • unless the original is a Galapagos cruise you cannot switch to one
  • you cannot switch to a holiday sailing unless your original sailing was a holiday sailing.

I think this about covers it. The full rules are on Celebrity's web site.

We shifted from a 7 day B2B cruise on Edge in 2021 to Apex in 2022 at the same price as the Edge booking.

I think the ports also need to be the same.

11 minutes ago, yorky said:

This is one of the areas of inconsistency, some reps apparently insisting on no variations while others are displaying a good deal more flexibility. Our L&S had one change in port for an otherwise identical 12 day cruise. The website Q&A is pretty ambiguous, saying that it must be the "same itinerary type", whatever that means.

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

This is one of the areas of inconsistency, some reps apparently insisting on no variations while others are displaying a good deal more flexibility. Our L&S had one change in port for an otherwise identical 12 day cruise. The website Q&A is pretty ambiguous, saying that it must be the "same itinerary type", whatever that means.

Yep it’s not that clear, our shift was identical apart from the ship, the following cruise still had Singapore and Vietnam but included Taiwan and  Japan, I’m pretty sure they would not have accepted a change to that one.

Edited by yorky

40 minutes ago, yorky said:

It depends.  My L&S offer was a Caribbean cruise but a completely different itinerary.  From Southern Caribbean to ABC.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, jelayne said:

What I am seeing for the  cruises I could l & s is that there are no suites available to shift to.

That really stinks!  I guess people were using their FCC and booking them.  That's part of my problem with those of us with late fall/winter cruises who are still holding out hope they can sail reasonably safely.   By the time they get cancelled (which unfortunately they likely will ) there won't be any comparable cabins available (ours are AQ which are more plentiful than suites but could also be gone by then - especially the desirable locations if not all).  I would have lifted and shifted awhile ago, but we already have had five cruises cancelled this year (shifted two of the five) and DH just can't bring himself to admit our late Nov and early Jan cruises won't sail.