Carnival-brand cruises restart

psygist

This doesn’t bode well for many to be able to cruise in the not-too-distant future on Carnival-brand cruise lines. 

Wondering, for those of us currently booked on a Princess cruise in 2021, how they will determine who cruises and who gets bumped when they reduce capacity to less than 50%?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/10/carnival-corp-cruises-operations-capacity-coronavirus-2022/5405777002/

Edited by psygist

The cruise on which I’m booked for a February 2021 cruise looks to be well over 50% booked already. 

25 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

One would assume that they will stop taking bookings at the 50 % mark? Or is that too easy!

Many people have booked for 2021 and later but will only keep the booking if some sort of vaccine  has been offered.   No vaccine no cruise and there will be many cancellations before final payment.  I question if the cruise lines will start up even by Feb.   Until the USA  gets Covid 19 numbers back down no ship will be sailing out of the USA.   

Edited by waltd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

One would assume that they will stop taking bookings at the 50 % mark? Or is that too easy!

They will stop taking bookings for inside cabins, and fill the balconies and suites. If necessary,  they will cancel those with inside cabins, so as to be able to continue to sell balconies.

If you are only sailing at 50% occupancy,  you want to maximise your revenue.

• Like 2

I firmly believe there will be no cruises from the US until we have a vaccine. People here refuse to do the things they need to do to control the virus’s. Antivaccers will not be allowed to cruise because most countries will require vaccination. 

• Like 6

If the cruise lines have a greater than 50% passenger list when a 50% passenger limit is imposed then the only just way of deciding who travels is on the "First come, First served" basis.

I would be most annoyed if a cruise I booked in August 2019 for August 2021 had a limit of 50% and I was bumped because I had booked an Inside cabin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

If the cruise lines have a greater than 50% passenger list when a 50% passenger limit is imposed then the only just way of deciding who travels is on the "First come, First served" basis.

I would be most annoyed if a cruise I booked in August 2019 for August 2021 had a limit of 50% and I was bumped because I had booked an Inside cabin.

Casofilia.... did the numbers using Sapphire Princess a month or so ago

By not using interior or ocean view cabins you would reduce passenger number by 45%

and reduce Fare income by 35%.......

By the way thing are going..... no idea when cruise ships will be back....

Had another cruise booked to NZ.. now just waiting for it to be canceled

Cheers Don

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

Rather than bumping booked passengers, I would guess Princess in this case would offer nice Move-Overs -- as they have done when cruises have been overbooked in the past.

So, no worries in this case. 🙂

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

Princess (and the other Carnival Corp brands) do intend to start out at a reduced capacity while they implement all the new and necessary procedures.

But they plan to ramp up to full capacity as soon as it is practical.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess (and the other Carnival Corp brands) do intend to start out at a reduced capacity while they implement all the new and necessary procedures.

I actually think this is rather clever.

To maximize passage revenue:

Don't sell inside cabins at all.   Eliminate move-over and complementary upgrades.

Adjust pricing to achieve 50% 'occupancy'.

You do lose the onboard revenue from the people who would have been in the 'cheap seats'.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I don't currently see ANY cruiseline implementing the necessary procedures. In fact, the industry in general is making regular PR releases objecting to the imposition of "land type" physical distancing and other protective measures on-board cruise ships. Given the false negative rates of the available tests, the increasing rate of infection in the US (the prime source of passengers), I an highly skeptical of any significant resumption of cruising until there is a highly effective vaccine or we've passed the overall infection state to provide herd immunity. The vaccine is at least several months away and herd immunity would take years without any even more disastrous increase in infection rates. Frankly, I think the industry is dreaming.

22 hours ago, casofilia said:

I have read that cruise ships cabins are book and re-booked an average of 7 times before sailing.

I don't think princess will have to bump anyone to achieve 50%.

If things are really going well, and princess is hitting  the 50% limit, they can always

put another ship out of hibernation.

I think the cruise lines are planning a protocol to return to cruising with the possibility that there will never be a vaccine. Otherwise, cruising, and life as we know it, are forever changed. 

I'd like to see the chair hogs bumped first.  Hopefully as new sailings are released Princess and other lines are monitoring the bookings for whatever the percentage might be.  

9 minutes ago, psygist said:

I think the cruise lines are planning a protocol to return to cruising with the possibility that there will never be a vaccine. Otherwise, cruising, and life as we know it, are forever changed. 

Dropping capacity is clearly going to be required and you see that happening already.

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

No guarantee of a vaccine ever being found.

No country is going to want to take a chance on possible infected tourists coming to their country without a  a vaccine. If you can’t fly into central Brazil without malaria protection then the won’t let you arrive at a port

• Like 2

If they’re going to wait for the US to get their Covid numbers under control, like Germany and Italy, it’s going to be a very long time before we have Princess cruising out of the US.  As others have mentioned, it may be after we have a vaccine. 

8 hours ago, casofilia said:

Is it not true that America expects Covid19 to disappear overnight on November 3rd?

We have been promised:

All the cases will die out in a few days.

All the cases will die out in warmer weather.

All the cases will die out before easter.

Sure, we can add November 3rd.

I think you probably have to visit draftkings to book your favorite.