Ryndam status?

37 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for such a negative view. 👎  No one on this Message Board needed to hear those "words of wisdom?"

Not negative but positive, why not have 2 midsize ships?

No update has been made public by the shipyard, Carnival Corp, or HAL. My guess is there will be very little information until after the first of the year when they have an idea as to when they will return to service, what itineraries will be able to be operated for summer 2021 and what, if any, time the shipyard has made up on her construction. 

In short, it's really too soon to tell. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Any new info on the Ryndam build schedule?

She was originally scheduled to join in May 2021. Since the Northern Italy region was one of the hardest hit Covid-19 areas, the Italian government, on 11 March, ordered all commercial and retail businesses except those providing essential services, like grocery shops and pharmacies, closed down. This included Fincantieri shipbuilders. The closure of these businesses was subsequently extended until 30 April when, among others, Fincantieri started to resume operations however, initially with only a limited number of workers. Ships under construction, incl. Ryndam, as a result, incurred delays of approx. six weeks

In its First Quarter report, Fincantieri stated that it was in talks with clients and subcontractors to discuss potentially stretching out order delivery times for vessels currently under construction and on order. 

https://www.marinelink.com/news/fincantieri-canceled-shipbuilding-orders-478813

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5308/

• Like 1

So there is a reference to the new ship deliveries in the 7/10 Carnival Corp update....I'm not sure what this means for the Ryndam.....We are booked to sail on her in October 2021...And we really enjoyed sailing on her two sisters (Koningsdam & Nieuw Statendam).  

Here is the portion of the press release relating to new ship deliveries:

"The company currently expects only five of the nine ships originally scheduled for delivery in fiscal 2020 and fiscal 2021 will be delivered prior to the end of fiscal year 2021."

Hoping Ryndam is in the 5 of 9 ships for 2021.......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

So there is a reference to the new ship deliveries in the 7/10 Carnival Corp update....I'm not sure what this means for the Ryndam.....We are booked to sail on her in October 2021...And we really enjoyed sailing on her two sisters (Koningsdam & Nieuw Statendam).  

Here is the portion of the press release relating to new ship deliveries:

"The company currently expects only five of the nine ships originally scheduled for delivery in fiscal 2020 and fiscal 2021 will be delivered prior to the end of fiscal year 2021."

Hoping Ryndam is in the 5 of 9 ships for 2021.......

Well - here are the nine ships on order and the originally planned entry into service within the discussed time frame.  If we do some simple deductions I would venture to bet the first five in the list will be delivered by end of 2021 and the other 4 will be pushed into 2022 for delivery.  The tossup starts to come with ships like Ryndam and AidaAcomsa - both due in May 2021 - which one gets delayed the longest?  The later the planned entry into service the easier to defer as there is less physical structure taking up space in the shipyard.

P&O Iona  -  Spring 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Enchanted Princess  -  June 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Costa Firenze  -  October 2020

Carnival Mardi Gras  -  October 2020 (delayed until Spring 2021)

AidaAcosma  -  May 2021

Ryndam  -  May 2021

Seabourn Venture  -  June 2021

Costa Toscana  -  November 2021

Discovery Princess  -  November 2021

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do we know what Carnival uses for a fiscal year?  I guessing if it was 1/1 to 12/31 there would be no need to specify "fiscal"

Roy

Looks like in 2019 the Q4 & Fiscal year ended on 11/30/2019, SO I am assuming they run a fiscal year of 12/1 to 11/30

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Well - here are the nine ships on order and the originally planned entry into service within the discussed time frame.  If we do some simple deductions I would venture to bet the first five in the list will be delivered by end of 2021 and the other 4 will be pushed into 2022 for delivery.  The tossup starts to come with ships like Ryndam and AidaAcomsa - both due in May 2021 - which one gets delayed the longest?  The later the planned entry into service the easier to defer as there is less physical structure taking up space in the shipyard.

P&O Iona  -  Spring 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Enchanted Princess  -  June 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Costa Firenze  -  October 2020

Carnival Mardi Gras  -  October 2020 (delayed until Spring 2021)

AidaAcosma  -  May 2021

Ryndam  -  May 2021

Seabourn Venture  -  June 2021

Costa Toscana  -  November 2021

Discovery Princess  -  November 2021

Ugh...so not a done deal for the Ryndam.......something has to give...either Aida or HAL.....

14 minutes ago, ski ww said:

If they put off delivery of Ryndam until 2022 that will save HAL money, which I'm sure they're hurting for at this time.

Not as bad as one would think?   from their latest 8-K filed last week.     Scott.   

source: https://www.carnivalcorp.com/node/61576/html

--> Negotiated Debt Holiday amendments, deferring certain principal repayments otherwise due through March 2021. (Certain export credit agencies have offered a 12-month debt amortization and financial covenant holiday (“Debt Holiday”))
--> In addition, the company has $8.8 billion of committed export credit facilities that are available to fund ship deliveries originally planned through 2023

On 7/11/2020 at 8:29 PM, Sir PMP said:

Not negative but positive, why not have 2 midsize ships?

I hate to shake your tree, but Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Ryndam are actually medium sized ships in today's world coming in at 99,000 GRT with 2600 quests. Ships like RCL's giants come in at over 225,000 GRT with over 6200 guests. If you have been on Koningsdam you would find out that HAL has a winner with this class of ship.

Perhaps you are more comfortable with ships the size of what Viking has built 60,000 GRT 1250 people but are you ready to pay 2.5 x more?

You have to face reality at some point my friend. COVID too will pass and Koningsdam class will be the new normal for HAL. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NordicPrince said:

I hate to shake your tree, but Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Ryndam are actually medium sized ships in today's world coming in at 99,000 GRT with 2600 quests. Ships like RCL's giants come in at over 225,000 GRT with over 6200 guests. If you have been on Koningsdam you would find out that HAL has a winner with this class of ship.

Perhaps you are more comfortable with ships the size of what Viking has built 60,000 GRT 1250 people but are you ready to pay 2.5 x more?

You have to face reality at some point my friend. COVID too will pass and Koningsdam class will be the new normal for HAL. 

I have been on the Koningsdam and did not care one bit of it, so not a winner at all in my eyes and most of the ships will not be allowed in small ports, so you can have it with your 'medium' size ships, I'd rather be on a Prinsendam, or Amsterdam size ship.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

If you have been on Koningsdam you would find out that HAL has a winner with this class of ship.

I have sailed on Nieuw Statendam and I agree that there are many aspects of this Class of ships that are quite guest friendly and enjoyable.

My disappointments as well as my positive comments about my Nieuw Statendam cruise have been made on CC.  No need to elaborate now, I don't think.  

8 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I have been on the Koningsdam and did not care one bit of it, so not a winner at all in my eyes and most of the ships will not be allowed in small ports, so you can have it with your 'medium' size ships, I'd rather be on a Prinsendam, or Amsterdam size ship.

You're still not answering the question of how you're going to set the pricing for these very small ships you are looking for.

Prinsendam was only 29,000 GRT so doubt you'll ever see one that size again on a mass market line.

33 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

Prinsendam was only 29,000 GRT so doubt you'll ever see one that size again on a mass market line.

Actually 37,988 but still a very special, unique ship that I doubt we'll ever see the likes of again.  However much I could  wish for a redo I don't expect it.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some people don't like change . and don't like the changing world . they will never be happy with the different things that are being done .  I am willing to understand that things change in the world , Some good, some not as good as others .Ps. it took me 5 years  before i switched  from a flip phone to a Android phone and know I love my Android phone .  

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

Yes, I recognize smaller ships cost more.

Our one adventure on the K’dam was enough for us, the winner for you was a loser for us.  Some nice features but no promenade, J cabins the size of closets and the ugliest dining room I have ever seen on a ship.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, I recognize smaller ships cost more.

Our one adventure on the K’dam was enough for us, the winner for you was a loser for us.  Some nice features but no promenade, J cabins the size of closets and the ugliest dining room I have ever seen on a ship.

Don't know where you're going to find ships with full promenades anymore. Looks like you're going to looking for a new cruise line.