Ryndam status?

I’m on the second leg of the maiden voyage and we received the email yesterday explaining that, due to the COVID-19 crisis, the ship’s delivery is being postponed to one year from yesterday, July 30th, the name will be changed from Ryndam to Rotterdam and that it will be the centerpiece of the fleet.

My 10-day European Splendors itinerary was changed to a 14-day European Splendors Itinerary, removing Normandy, France but adding an overnight in Bordeaux, France, adding Britney, France and adding Weymouth, UK. They also changed one city in Spain to Alicante, which looks amazing.

We were looking forward to Normandy but are huge wine lovers, so I’m so excited about the overnight in Bordeaux!!

Yes, the itinerary can change. Yes, we need the virus under control and a million things in between...but just to have something travel related to look forward to helps!

While August isn’t ideal, pushing it out to August makes me feel much more comfortable than May as far as the lifting of travel restrictions; etc.

Yes, I know August in the Med can be brutal but at this point I don’t care!! I cam be hot at home or hot in the beach in the med?!? Sea breeze here I come!

Happy dance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

I’m on the second leg of the maiden voyage and we received the email yesterday explaining that, due to the COVID-19 crisis, the ship’s delivery is being postponed to one year from yesterday, July 30th, the name will be changed from Ryndam to Rotterdam and that it will be the centerpiece of the fleet.

My 10-day European Splendors itinerary was changed to a 14-day European Splendors Itinerary, removing Normandy, France but adding an overnight in Bordeaux, France, adding Britney, France and adding Weymouth, UK. They also changed one city in Spain to Alicante, which looks amazing.

We were looking forward to Normandy but are huge wine lovers, so I’m so excited about the overnight in Bordeaux!!

Yes, the itinerary can change. Yes, we need the virus under control and a million things in between...but just to have something travel related to look forward to helps!

While August isn’t ideal, pushing it out to August makes me feel much more comfortable than May as far as the lifting of travel restrictions; etc.

Yes, I know August in the Med can be brutal but at this point I don’t care!! I cam be hot at home or hot in the beach in the med?!? Sea breeze here I come!

Happy dance!

Please don't get too excited about Bordeaux being on this itinerary.  I'm booked for the 21 day inaugural cruise and that itinerary is a little different than the ten (now 14 day) itinerary for the same dates.  The 21 day itinerary shows an overnight in Rotterdam before disembarkation in Amsterdam and no Bordeaux.  I really don't think a ship of this size can get to Bordeaux; the only HAL ships that were recently in Bordeaux were the Prinsendam and, I think, the Veendam.  

19 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Please don't get too excited about Bordeaux being on this itinerary.  I'm booked for the 21 day inaugural cruise and that itinerary is a little different than the ten (now 14 day) itinerary for the same dates.  The 21 day itinerary shows an overnight in Rotterdam before disembarkation in Amsterdam and no Bordeaux.  I really don't think a ship of this size can get to Bordeaux; the only HAL ships that were recently in Bordeaux were the Prinsendam and, I think, the Veendam.  

The Rotterdam would certainly not be able to sail down the Gironde and dock in downtown Bordeaux (absolutely magical).  That quay only handles smaller (usually) luxury ships, river boats, etc.  It was one of the big pluses of the Prinsendam 😉 

It may be possible though for Rotterdam  to dock at Le Verdon-sur-Mer which is around 30+ minutes away from Bordeaux, I believe.  It can handle larger cruise ships but it would be nowhere near the experience of cruising down the river and being right in Bordeaux.  

3 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Happy dance!

You're gonna love Weymouth..

4 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Happy dance!

Lots of changes.  Nothing is finalized.

But it's so nice to have something wonderful to look forward to. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Good to know!! Thank you!! Would love Rotterdam as well - totally tracking down a warm stroopwafel! 

12 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Weymouth sounded low key. I was happy to have my feet in the ground in the UK. What is your recommendation? Thank you!!

Ship will be in port in Portland and there will be shuttle(15 minutes) into Weymouth, it's a lovely town to walk around and have lunch, there will also be tours I believe to Stonehenge..

• Like 1

Alicante is a gem.

Best food culture of Spain, cozy old-town, great beaches and I can also recommend an excursion to The mountain village of Guadelest.

Also Cartagena Spain is an absolutely thrilling city by the way.

ps. I am moving to the area next month, so if anyone ever needs a guide...😎😀

• Like 2