Photo-review: A-Rosa Alva - Douro river 7/1/2020

steamboats

Thought it would be a better idea to start a new thread - our first post lockdown cruise got us on the Douro river in Portugal onboard A-Rosa Alva. A-Rosa is mainly German but caters to English speaking guests on the Douro too (and on select cruises on the Rhine and Danube rivers). This was really a special trip by all means. Besides all Covid-19 stuff (and yes they are pretty strict about it in Portugal and Spain) it was sort of surreal walking through almost empty streets and usually very touristy spots. A chance to get photos you usually can never take due to the amount of people walking by.

The review starts - as usually - with a deck by deck description of the ship. It´s photo extensive so no need to read the German text. If you want to, google translate usually works pretty well.

Enjoy!

steamboats

Your pictures are beautiful!

We were in Portugal last November. Porto and Guimaraes are just how we remember them. I wish we could go back again. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

Thanks for the review.  It looked really interesting, and sounds as if you enjoyed it.  Glad to see that the strictures put in place for Covid really don't seem to interfere with the enjoyment of the cruise.  Loved the pics, you are a great photographer.

So part 2 is online covering extra costs onboard with photos of the bar menu. As for the Douro river A-Rosa has Premium only which includes the flight and all basic beverages. So only where the menu lists a price you pay extra but prices are decent (a Cosmopolitan is 3 Euro). Bottled wine is extra - bottles are between 15 and 25 Euro.

steamboats

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Did you have a good time on your river cruise.  How was the weather?

Of course we had a great time! Weather was perfect! Two days we hit the 100°F... so a little bit too hot for me.

steamboats

25 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Of course we had a great time! Weather was perfect! Two days we hit the 100°F... so a little bit too hot for me.

steamboats

WAY too hot for me! As a tourist walking around, I'd much prefer a temperature in the low 20s Celsius (high 60s, low 70s)

Today´s entry is showing our cabin onboard the A-Rosa Alva. Cabins on decks 2 and 3 have those panoramic windows which can be lowered so you have a balcony feeling. Only the two suites on deck 3 aft have small balconies on the side. Deck 1 has windows which can´t be opened.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Day 2 onboard starts out with a tour of the Mateus palace and its beautiful gardens. Later we explore the train station of Pinhao. For dinner we go out to  Quinta da Avessada to meet the twin brother of "Mr. Bean".

steamboats

Deine Reise  brings back so many memories of our November Trip last year.  We had Mittag Essen at Quinta da Avessada and can never forget the Mr. Bean, one of the highlights of our trip.  We have a Danube trip scheduled in November, however, it is not looking good for us here in the US to travel to Europe this year.  I am enjoying your trip report.

• Like 1

Day 3 gets us to Quinta da Roêda in the morning for a Pink Port degustation. The A-Rosa Alva moves on to Barca d´Alva. In the evening we go out on our own to explore a lost place - the train station of Barca d´Alva (you definitely need good shoes for that). Inbetween is the narrowest part of the Douro river, two locks and the Ferradosa train bridge - which is extremely low.

steamboats

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

We missed seeing the square at Salamanca as it was boarded up in preparation for a huge book festival but a wonderful place for a drink and people watching. Thank you CA

I didn´t mention this in my text but our guide told us that they used some architectural tricks to let the square look larger. The stories are lower the higher they are, the balconies are getting smaller... There´s one photo (in the morning) where you can see this. The square was used for markets, for all kind of festivals (like corridas) and more. So a condo with balcony was very expensive. And the balconies were rented out for those occasions. Our guide told us a lot more stories about this square.

steamboats

Thanks for sharing this with us🙂lovely photos for sure!!!!  Glad you had a good time. I was supposed to take a

cruise on the Douro earlier this year...............we all know what happened with that one.☹️

• Like 1

Day 5 gets us to Castel Rodrigo and the Marofa mountain.

I also added a short video to day 3 showing the passage of the very low Ferradosa train bridge.

@Lois R sorry to hear that your cruise was cancelled. I hope you can do it next year! It´s really great.

steamboats