Viking Sun

snaefell

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

I noticed the Viking Sun is berthed at the pier head in Liverpool,AIS shows she arrived on July 4th from Belfast,anybody any idea why she is there besides maybe having nowhere else to go!?

She has left her sister ships Viking Sea and Viking Sky behind in Belfast.

All three were there together initially and the rumour there was that being in the Harland and Wolff shipyard they were probably having Covid modifications done .She then left a week ago ,sailed around the Irish Sea to Isle of Man,then to Bangor outside Belfast and a couple of days later she set sail for Liverpool.

Who knows why.

The web site Wirral cam shows her at the cruise port by The Three Graces.

You tube channel of Tom McClean Positive shows all three in Belfast.

The Irish Sea can get rather snotty at times, but I don't give any credence to that rumour, especially in the middle of summer. Sounds like Belfast didn't have sufficient berths for a 3 ships, so they found an alternative in Liverpool.

We survived a lot worse on the WC, skirting a couple of tropical revolving storms.

• Like 1

Well the Isle Of Man Steam Packet did cancel their sailings the other day because of the weather but they are only using a fast craft at the moment,if somebody considered it too rough for the Viking Sun I don't think I fancy sailing the world on her!

7 hours ago, snaefell said:

Well the Isle Of Man Steam Packet did cancel their sailings the other day because of the weather but they are only using a fast craft at the moment,if somebody considered it too rough for the Viking Sun I don't think I fancy sailing the world on her!

Based on the nature of their operation, high speed craft must comply with a specific IMO Code, aptly named the High Speed Craft Code. The High Speed Craft Code also requires a HSC to have limits included on the operational certificate, which may include wind speed, significant wave height, etc. Generally for conventional ships, no limits are normally included by Flag/Class, but the owners Safety Management System may provide guidance to the Master.

Must of been some good seas running, as that HSC looks like one of the Incat designs from Hobart, Tasmania. The significant wave height (SWH) limit should be 3.5m. SWH is the average of the highest 1/3, so many of the waves are even higher. Must have been a good storm.

The Sun and other ocean ships can easily and safely handle a wee bit more than that, with us experiencing at least 7 m a couple of times😀, no doubt, Jim has seen at least that, probably a little higher.

The Irish Sea may not be that big but has a reputation for rough conditions,the Isle Of Man Steam Packet had a reputation for sailing in 'any weather's years ago & we have had some wild rides in the past.

Of late that seems to have very much changed with sailings sometimes cancelled for days at a time,last week's cancellation may have been prompted by the current covid-19 restrictions where the islands borders are closed so passenger numbers are low.

Not a fan of fast craft which have had a rough time on the Irish Sea,Manannin in particular hasn't been a lucky craft,purchased second hand just before prices crashed,she had been used in the first Gulf War by the U.S. Navy,cost a fortune to convert & has had so many engine problems,causing her to run at reduced speed for much of her time on the Irish Sea,the last couple of years have been good ones though!

5 hours ago, snaefell said:

The Irish Sea may not be that big but has a reputation for rough conditions,the Isle Of Man Steam Packet had a reputation for sailing in 'any weather's years ago & we have had some wild rides in the past.

Of late that seems to have very much changed with sailings sometimes cancelled for days at a time,last week's cancellation may have been prompted by the current covid-19 restrictions where the islands borders are closed so passenger numbers are low.

Not a fan of fast craft which have had a rough time on the Irish Sea,Manannin in particular hasn't been a lucky craft,purchased second hand just before prices crashed,she had been used in the first Gulf War by the U.S. Navy,cost a fortune to convert & has had so many engine problems,causing her to run at reduced speed for much of her time on the Irish Sea,the last couple of years have been good ones though!

Weather cancellations are becoming the norm for many of the ferry operators. When I started on ferries we sailed regardless of the weather and did what was necessary to complete the voyage. These days pax are less tolerant of pounding through heavy weather and a more risk based management has dictated many companies introduce an operational matrix for the Masters, which includes weather criteria.

On the West Coast we built 3 large fast cats, back in the late 90's, but they were also beset with engine problems and wash concerns. Basically we could only attain high speed in open waters, so it only reduced the voyage from 1 hr 35mins to 1 hr 20mins, requiring about 50% more fuel. I was Captain on one of our Fast Cats, which were fun, but challenging to drive, but totally impractical for our route.

I remember that ferry, as she was built in the late 90's when we were building our Fast Cats locally. Yes, she was built by Incat in Tasmania and operated the service between Tasmania & Melbourne. As we ended our Fast Cat operation she was chartered to the US Navy. Hadn't heard what happened to her after the Navy charter.