Volendam
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0712indian.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thank you for the Daily.

It's interesting to see where the ships are.

Love the quote.

And the meal and wine suggestions sound wonderful, wish I had some pecan pie.

It's cooled off around here, and a chance of showers again today.  It's nice to have the windows open, no need for the a/c.🙂  I think I'll work in the garden today.

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.

Wishing everyone the best of health.

• Like 4

Thank you for the report.  Varying a little bit from the meal suggestion I'm going with mac & cheese.  I was lucky to pick up a plastic bag at the supermarket.  I will use it for my recycling on Wednesday. So true on the quote.

Today's care list--

Allen for continued recovery and a safe, happy birthday

Sharon's son.  I a bit concerned that she did not post yesterday.

Krazy Kruizers not posting since July 3.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Krazy Kruizers not posting since July 3.

I just looked at her profile and up until July 3 she had posted each day to the Daily but not much else.

I hope that someone who has other contact information for her will check and make sure she is ok.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

Yay on paper bag day since they are recyclable and compostable 🙂 

LOL on today’s fertility quote 😄🤣

Oh Carbonara sounds excellent.  Especially on this rainy day (no, I’m NOT complaining - we need the rain desperately).  St. Emillion produces some great wines - we had the pleasure to sample them when we were in Bordeaux on a tour through wine country.

DH’s favourite flower - Queen Troillius.  I have several of them in the front & the back.  They are not as tall as usual, probably due to the lack of rain.

5995DBCB-FB88-4B7B-8C1B-6CFA2E88662F.thumb.jpeg.c91a8aae21e73ef88cf8999115204863.jpeg

My planters are slowly starting to come.  The begonias were started early this year but they got neglected with the foot so I am pleased they are coming back.

6BC97DFA-C21A-478A-A5D4-EF25750A8164.thumb.jpeg.5ba4faf58b6134897d58c1adfb6cf8ea.jpeg

@cat shepard This is how we keep the deer out of our front porch garden and planters. The fencing comes down in the winter so it doesn’t rust.

EF4ED874-029D-4C35-B191-0A21FFFAAB25.thumb.jpeg.66d16cb6140ba35fe957a5932749113c.jpeg

Marley loves to lay on the cool bricks 😉 

1C0656DD-066D-4587-B818-D7BD5FEEF785.thumb.jpeg.5f5395cb38e792356903ad9ad8fcb735.jpeg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I just looked at her profile and up until July 3 she had posted each day to the Daily but not much else.

I hope that someone who has other contact information for her will check and make sure she is ok.

I’m sending her an email to see if all is ok.  Hopefully all is good 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

We had a lot of talk yesterday about this as a community.  I may be the exception here.  While I have never sailed with any of the regulars here I have met a lot HAL cruisers over the years, mostly while cruising with other lines:

Innlady1 at her inn on Nantucket while on a Blount cruise stopping there.  At the time she was a regular on the sailaway threads.

Crew News and his wife for breakfast before boarding the Prinsendam 2013 Amazon Explorer.  I think they were boarding another ship Monday.

RuthC in Providence before boarding another Blount Cruise in Warren RI.

Kazu at a Tim Hortons in Saint John while on Royal Caribbean.

Copper10_8 several times, first while both of us were in (I think) Puerto Vallarta on our separate ships.  We have met a few times since in Los Angeles, and he took me to the Crystal Serenity when I boarded this year's cruise.  I actually did sail briefly with him on a short Oosterdam repo from Vancouver to San Diego but he was pretty busy as security officer.  We did have dinner one night on that cruise.

And Erewhon twice when Crystal was in New Zealand.  They have met a number of Cruise Critic members the same way.

Roy

• Like 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!   Morning Dailyites & my CC Sisters! Hope everyone is doing well.

I will take a paper bag, if my cloth bags are not available. And I plan on making a key lime pie with a pecan crust today.  Hope that counts. 

Rich - that quote. I almost spit out my coffee! LOL!  Will need to research the wine. Just the name makes it sound expensive!

@kazu - Jacqui, if that is your front porch, I can not wait to see the rest of your world! Just beautiful. I can not put up fences on my property. If I did not have the pool enclosure, I could put a fence around the pool - only. I would love to see a close-up of Jose’s favorite flower. I have never heard of it before. Looks special.  And thank you for reaching out to KK. Hope all is well there.

Stay well everyone!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, if that is your front porch, I can not wait to see the rest of your world! Just beautiful. I can not put up fences on my property. If I did not have the pool enclosure, I could put a fence around the pool - only. I would love to see a close-up of Jose’s favorite flower. I have never heard of it before. Looks special.  And thank you for reaching out to KK. Hope all is well there.

I will take a close up of the troillius for you later today once the rain lets up a bit.

They really are a pretty perennial and fairly long lasting.  They don’t all seem to bloom at the same time which is nice as it extends the show. 😉 

I am watching my email to see if I hear from Yonnie (KK).

• Like 4

Whenever I have a panic attack - ImgLulz    Strip-040919 | Mutts comics, Mutt, Cat jokes

Good Morning Rich. Thank you for the great quote of the day. Love it.

I have made every kind of pecan pie, my sweet husband is a southern boy and loves pecans.

Going to check into the wine of the day. Sounds interesting as long as I don't have to mortgage the house for a bottle..

Speaking of BOTTLES.. Our friends from Coeur d'Alene sent us a case of Prosecco and Pinot Grigio for a house warming gift!

Good morning sisters Cat and Denise and thanks Jacqui for replies last night. Having follow up tomorrow at doctors and will ask what he thinks. I will err on side of caution and probably ask friends to reschedule. We all prayed too hard to get Allen home to do something crazy..

Jacqui you must spend every waking moment in your gardens. They are beautiful! It will be 2 more weeks before our landscaper can plant our trees, shrubs and flowers and fence. I love watching the beautiful birds in the morning and can't wait to get something to hang feeders on.

Everyone have a fabulous day. @rafinmd Roy you have some beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them (and your prayers)

Behave, stay safe and have a Blessed Sunday! XX, Joy

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Great quote, and so true!  LOL  The menu suggestion may have to wait for a few days as we grilled up a batch of smokies and will have to work our way through them.  And wine.

I was a little bummed yesterday evening, as for the last 15 years on the 2nd Saturday in July, we traditionally have what we call Summerfest in our back yard.  We've had up to 125 people come for a pot luck barbecue where we supply the smokies and a few salads, and everyone brings something for the tables.  We supply some wine, beer, sangria and non-alcoholic punch, while others bring additional beverages, then later in the evening, DH and his band get their guitars out and the patio turns into a stage for a couple of hours.  This year's theme was "black and white" - other years we've had cowboy, crazy hat, tropical, sport, pajama, etc.   This was our Summerfest this year.

image.jpeg.db03fcb0b7f97a0f0406c5b7947239af.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 10

Good morning all and thanks once more Rich for the daily.   Pasta carbonara, another suggestion for cooler days.  I remember when it was paper bags only.  Now, we either bring our own bags (and have to pack ourselves) or store supplied plastic (or paper if they switched).  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

@cat shepard here is a close up of the troillius for you:

94162CCC-CF23-4871-85E3-54A1B5937AA0.thumb.jpeg.daa235bcff528e9b16864d0677fa4074.jpeg

@Seasick Sailor - thankfully, I don’t work all day long in the gardens 😉. They do require time but not all day long except in the early spring and fall.

😮  

How exquisite. I spent my formative years in Massachusetts and most of Mom’s family were gardeners. I do not remember ever seeing one of these in any of their gardens. I wonder if they could survive zone 9. Off to research.

Edited to add they sadly only do well in zones 3 - 6.  I could not even have grown them when I lived in Maryland. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

😮  

How exquisite. I spent my formative years in Massachusetts and most of Mom’s family were gardeners. I do not remember ever seeing one of these in any of their gardens. I wonder if they could survive zone 9. Off to research.

I don’t think so unless you have a micro climate where it is cooler.

They are fine for zone 3 - 8.

hope this helps - https://www.gardenia.net/plant/trollius-chinensis-golden-queen-globe-flower

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I don’t think so unless you have a micro climate where it is cooler.

They are fine for zone 3 - 8.

hope this helps - https://www.gardenia.net/plant/trollius-chinensis-golden-queen-globe-flower

My research showed only good to zone 6.  But since neither works for me, I will leave it alone. They really are spectacular.  Thank you for taking the trouble to post a pic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Summerfest, 2014 - that year's theme was Come As You Aren't.  We aren't Hutterites.  LOL

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you for furthering my education, Gerry. I had to look up Hutterites.  

CC has just expanded my learning!  Ooh & great pic!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m sending her an email to see if all is ok.  Hopefully all is good 

🌺Jacqui Thank you so much!! I hope KK is good and all is well! I think of her often.

I must say your flowers are gorgeous!

I have never seen so many beautiful flowers except on our journeys through flower markets!! You sure do have a green thumb! Thank you for your pictures to brighten our day!

Denise😊

• Like 4