Key West Could Ban Large Ships

Cruising89143

We've visited Key West before a cruise, with no ships in port; before a cruise with a large (not mega) ship in port; and during a cruise on a large ship. If I were a resident, I'd vote to ban large ships, as there is ample tourist trade without them. 

• Like 3

1300 passengers...That rules out everyone in the mass market lines except Pacific Princess.  Are they hoping for more premuim ans luxury lines?  Maybe with reduced capacity some smaller mass market ships will make the cut...EM

That’s interesting. I wonder how much money cruise ships bring in. I also wonder if the government will lose more than local businesses, considering loss of taxes and fees associated with ship visits.

i didn’t really like Key West the couple of times I’ve stopped there. I think I’d enjoy it more staying for several days.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We've visited Key West before a cruise, with no ships in port; before a cruise with a large (not mega) ship in port; and during a cruise on a large ship. If I were a resident, I'd vote to ban large ships, as there is ample tourist trade without them. 

I agree.  I happen to like Key West....was looking forward to getting a couple more pair of Keno Sandals.  

Whenever we were there and cruise ships were too it seems that the locals couldn't wait for the ships to leave.  Did they raise prices when ships were in port, it seemed so.

Anyway, I think they have plenty of tourist trade without the ships.  

• Like 1

A lot of locals aren't fans of the cruise ships.  I could see this having a chance of passing in a vote.

Of our appx. 15 trips to Key West only one was on a cruise ship - last March 14 on HAL.  I guess it's a good thing we finally visited by cruise ship once, it might have been the last one 🙂

The cruise industry has a few ports that are putting up a resistance to mega ships & their impact...most famous of course is VENICE...rightfully so.

The best part of key west is the drive down from miami through the keys...years ago it was bohemian & fun.. now its been Disneyied like so much of the world🤪😱🤯

Edited by Rotterdam
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mafig said:

I agree.  I happen to like Key West....was looking forward to getting a couple more pair of Keno Sandals.  

Whenever we were there and cruise ships were too it seems that the locals couldn't wait for the ships to leave.  Did they raise prices when ships were in port, it seemed so.

Anyway, I think they have plenty of tourist trade without the ships.  

I have just about every pair of Keno sandals they make!

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Interesting that the 3 quoted on the pro cruise ship side are all tied to ship excursions (butterfly museum, trolley, and snorkeling boat operator).  No restaurant operators or other businesses.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Except we aren’t a democracy..thank goodness. 

True, we are a representative democracy - some decisions are made by representatives at the federal and local level, while some other local decisions are made by citizens.  The referendum process (where it is available) is truly democracy at work.  I fully understand the dangers inherent in "the tyranny or the majority" and appreciate the way our government is structured - even the Electoral College.  That said, I also appreciate that, at the local level, individuals can have direct control over some matters through the referendum process.  I think that is great.

My apologies to all. I don't favor politics encroaching on CC discussions, and I started this one.  🤐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rotterdam said:

The best part of key west is the drive down from miami through the keys...years ago it was bohemian & fun.. now its been Disneyied like so much of the world🤪😱🤯

I've always said everyone should drive the Keys once in their life 🙂

Yes things have changed, but the Old Keys are still there if you look.  

• Like 1

It sounds ridiculous. If you think about it, all ships are big. No matter how big the ship is it still remains big. I have no idea what is behind of such decision. If it was me in the management, I would rather sell all the smaller ships and take those large ones. They are way more profitable 

I think there will be a lot of ports around the world that will ban the large cruise ships.  If that happens, I wonder if they will just be used for 7-day cruises to nowhere with stops at the cruise lines' private islands??

We prefer longer cruises on smaller ships anyway ... but once in a while we like to get on the large ones.

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

A lot of locals aren't fans of the cruise ships.  I could see this having a chance of passing in a vote.

🙂

Their own loss. I am sure many Caribbean cruise ports would welcome more tourist dollars redirected to their coffers. 

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

I think it's interesting and no small coincidence that this is happening at the time of Covid-19 and the recent cruise ship debacles with same.   I think that is really what it is about and the other arguments, overall, are just an excuse (granted, there are some who petitioned for this before but I think Covid-19 is really driving this).  I really love stopping in Key West as a port stop - love to just walk around the town as it is so pleasant.  Also nice shops and bars and restaurants.  I would really, really hate to see it cut out of our itinerary.  

All that said, I think another side to this is the continued emergence (at least up until now) of cruise ships that are bigger and bigger and bigger.  It has gotten way out of hand.  I hate to stop in ports when the megaships are docked.  Many of the ports (I sail mostly Caribbean) are simply overwhelmed with the number of people.   Costa Maya is a good example.  Last couple of times there we were docked with an Oasis class ship also in port.  The tourist area right off the ship was so crowded you literally were shoulder to shoulder - you could barely move.  We turned around and got right back on the ship.  Many of these smaller ports simply cannot handle the huge crowds these ships bring.  There is certainly some argument to ban them (although this ban would be much more strict size-wise).  After Covid, I have to wonder if the cruise lines will start to reevaluate their plans to continue to build at all, and to continue to build floating cities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good reason to enjoy sailing on smaller ships. I like the older ones. The Oasis seems a bit busy and crowded. I see NCL has a roller coaster and someone has bumper cars. Geez, I guess I'm over the hill but this seems stupid.

Hoping to wish all Bon Voyage soon.