Key West Could Ban Large Ships

Cruising89143

We spent much more than $32; each time we  have stopped there..

NIce lunch out,  tee shitrts , sandals,   reg clothing, spices, aloe store, art work, museums, gardens, desserts ( yum)  etc.

Most shop owners and workers are very nice but some do have a neg attitude to towards cruisers..not sure why? 

We love to walk beyond the ticky tacky  areas, and photograph the beautiful houses and buildings,. Worst  ever visit was being there on Fun Fest day..we cut that  port day short.

Whatever they decide is their choice...local control.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think another side to this is the continued emergence (at least up until now) of cruise ships that are bigger and bigger and bigger.  It has gotten way out of hand.  I hate to stop in ports when the megaships are docked.  Many of the ports (I sail mostly Caribbean) are simply overwhelmed with the number of people.   Costa Maya is a good example.  Last couple of times there we were docked with an Oasis class ship also in port.  The tourist area right off the ship was so crowded you literally were shoulder to shoulder - you could barely move.  We turned around and got right back on the ship.  Many of these smaller ports simply cannot handle the huge crowds these ships bring.  There is certainly some argument to ban them (although this ban would be much more strict size-wise).  After Covid, I have to wonder if the cruise lines will start to reevaluate their plans to continue to build at all, and to continue to build floating cities.

I have wondered several times whether there would be a real "divergence" of ways in cruising. Mega-huge ships that don't stop at (m)any ports and the cruisers who sail for the "fun times" and experience are their target market. Others will opt for smaller or mid-size ships (like Viking Ocean with their shiny new fleet) that will focus more on the destination as the experience.

I've been to Key West several times, both by ship and by high speed catamaran.  Still haven't made the drive yet--hope to do that some day.  One of my cruises stopped there during Fantasy Fest--that was a hoot!  It's a fun place, so would hope that they might up the passenger limit a bit.  I'm not a fan of the super large ships either.

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We've visited Key West before a cruise, with no ships in port; before a cruise with a large (not mega) ship in port; and during a cruise on a large ship. If I were a resident, I'd vote to ban large ships, as there is ample tourist trade without them. 

I must admit after spending some time there, Key West is best with no ships in port, tolerable with one ship, and not enjoyable with multiple ships.  

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've been to Key West several times, both by ship and by high speed catamaran.  Still haven't made the drive yet--hope to do that some day.  One of my cruises stopped there during Fantasy Fest--that was a hoot!  It's a fun place, so would hope that they might up the passenger limit a bit.  I'm not a fan of the super large ships either.

We’ve been to Key West probably 3 or 4 times not as cruisers and loved it every time.  Cruised there multiple times, not so much for us but everyone is different.  It’s way to crowded when a number of ships are there.

Hope all is well and maybe we can get together in the Fall.🙂😢. Arrived back on the other Cape June 18th, it’s like living on a different planet.  Katie

We’re booked on a 4 night Key West Bahamas (Nassau) cruise in Dec 2021 on Millennium as our first attempt.to sail on a cruise, hopefully post-Covid or with a vaccine. Any ideas what Celebrity might substitute instead of Key West if the referendums pass and the cruise still sails? 

We have driven to Key West twice on both occasions the journey there and the sunset celebrations were the highlights neither of which you get to enjoy on a cruise stop.

Whilst some cruise ship guests do spend on excursions, meals, drinks and shopping I do think with the advent of drinks packages more and more guests take a walk off the ship taking water with them. They then have a walk about but then return to the ship by lunch for drinks and something to eat. These guests add to the congestion of the port but give nothing or very little to the economy. Compare this to about 10 years ago when guests would buy a bottle of water as they got off the ship, get back on board with a couple of bottles of water and would have enjoyed beers and cocktails at local bars significantly cheaper than on the ship.

Please note, I am not criticising guests who spend nothing or very little in a port. If we are visiting a port we have visited several times before we often do this...we will enjoy stretching our legs but then want to get back on the ship and enjoy the pool and buffet while they are still quiet. With more and more guests doing repeat cruises with a focus on rest and relaxation rather than exploration I can understand that some ports simply feel the cruise ship is no longer adding significantly to the economy. 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I've always said everyone should drive the Keys once in their life 🙂

Yes things have changed, but the Old Keys are still there if you look.  

We did just that when we stayed at Islamorada in February 2014.

We booked an overnight in Key West which enabled us to see the sunset. You don’t get to see the ‘celebration’ if you go on a cruise ship, as they leave too early.

We missed our cruise ship visit on Galaxy in 2005, due to Hurricane Wlima, so I was determined  to visit one day, hence the land trip.

We drove to Key West many years ago and ate in a restaurant that was so memorable and enjoyable , we still talk about it.

We are scheduled to be in KW for my significant birthday next year  and immediately said we would go back to the restaurant for lunch, and would have spent considerably more than $32pp! 
Shame. 

Edited by little britain

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think it's interesting and no small coincidence that this is happening at the time of Covid-19 and the recent cruise ship debacles with same.   I think that is really what it is about and the other arguments, overall, are just an excuse (granted, there are some who petitioned for this before but I think Covid-19 is really driving this).  I really love stopping in Key West as a port stop - love to just walk around the town as it is so pleasant.  Also nice shops and bars and restaurants.  I would really, really hate to see it cut out of our itinerary.  

All that said, I think another side to this is the continued emergence (at least up until now) of cruise ships that are bigger and bigger and bigger.  It has gotten way out of hand.  I hate to stop in ports when the megaships are docked.  Many of the ports (I sail mostly Caribbean) are simply overwhelmed with the number of people.   Costa Maya is a good example.  Last couple of times there we were docked with an Oasis class ship also in port.  The tourist area right off the ship was so crowded you literally were shoulder to shoulder - you could barely move.  We turned around and got right back on the ship.  Many of these smaller ports simply cannot handle the huge crowds these ships bring.  There is certainly some argument to ban them (although this ban would be much more strict size-wise).  After Covid, I have to wonder if the cruise lines will start to reevaluate their plans to continue to build at all, and to continue to build floating cities.

We love cruising but at the same time realise it’s ruined the experience in some places, huge numbers of cruise passengers totally changes the atmosphere of the likes of Caribbean islands. If I lived there I would probably hate the ships, if I relied on the income ( although it is small per passenger next to land based individuals on holiday) I would want it to continue. 

20 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

If they do, it will be their loss.  Actually not my favorite port- would rather go to Nassau and further south.  If you have been to key west a couple of times- that really is enough.  Drinks better on board!

Completely agree!  I'm annoyed when the Key West stop is on the return leg bc of the immigration procedures on board.  Very inconvenient, IMO.  I'm guessing you don't have to go through this if KW is the first port after leaving MIA but still, I don't find much to do after you have visited once and done the touristy things.   

Yes. Last time on our cruise we had to line up at 7  am!  Night after chic night!  Had to line up, pass through an internal customs line!  Those who got off had to be shuttled to the town as the ship docked at a us base.  We stayed on ship. If not stop at the beginning of cruise forgetaboutit 

Edited by Cruise a holic

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Many of HAL's ships have less than 1300 and I wonder if, with the proposed new "less passengers" guidelines if possibly the "M" class will qualify....

Not "many", just one: the Maasdam. Currently HAL's oldest ship, having joined the fleet in 1993, she has a passenger capacity of 1258 and is the only ship with a sub-1300 capacity. The next closest is the Veendam at 1350.

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

We were there on Fantasy Fest once, too.  It's more down key during the day, but, still, we walked down the street and people were having parties in those lovely, old houses and kept inviting us to come in or "come on up"  (to their balcony parties) for a drink.

Happy Cruiser, we've driven but haven not taken the high speed catamaran.  Did you take the one out of Ft. Myers?  How was it?

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not "many", just one: the Maasdam. Currently HAL's oldest ship, having joined the fleet in 1993, she has a passenger capacity of 1258 and is the only ship with a sub-1300 capacity. The next closest is the Veendam at 1350.

Oh, I thought the Noordam and other ships in that class were smaller too, thanks for correcting.

I was stationed in Key West For 3years  (well NAS Boca Chica 5mi away!) and loved my stay, but that was in the mid-70’s and I was in a deploying squadron and missed a lot of time there. But it was a fantastic place. Realize all has changed, but Key West would do just fine without the big ships. Yup, one or two of the 1281 t-shirt shops would close up, but Key West has a dedicated tourist crowd that visits throughout the year. 

I think we’ll see more of this In ports of call and tourist cities that start to limit the huge crowds that hit all at once. the Mega Ships will do just fine because for many (most?), the ship is the destination with all of its special venues. You’ll see some of the standard Caribbean ports, private islands and so on. The smaller ports and especially ports that exist beyond tourism will limit the ships.....said by someone who has no idea what will really happen!!

I love Key West. It’s a mix of so many cultures and things to see and I’ll disagree that you can ‘expereince’ it in one of two 6hr port calls. 

Funny Key West story: My whole aircraft command was moved to Boca Chica NAS, and the guys (prior to woman become a major part of USN) all bought sailboats and fishing boats. I didn’t because I knew I”d be deployed a good deal of the time. Every week, I’d get a call from some bud who wanted me to go sailing or fishing with him......when he’d tell his wife he was going fishing with somebody else on their boat, she’d give me more than the ‘fisheye’ of ‘how much did you pay for that thing?!?’. So they be begging the few of us who hadn’t bought boats.......our grocery costs were about 1/4 of what they were on the Mainland even though Key West was expensive (for Everything), because we all had tons of fish and longustas (Florida/warm water  lobsters) we’d pass around!!

Den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Oh, I thought the Noordam and other ships in that class were smaller too, thanks for correcting.

The current Noordam joined the fleet in 2006, the last ship of the 1900+ passenger capacity Vista Class, but I wonder if you were simply remembering the wrong Noordam. Over the years, HAL has had four ships named Noordam, including one that was part of the fleet from 1984 to 2005 that had a passenger capacity of under 1300.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The current Noordam joined the fleet in 2006, the last ship of the 1900+ passenger capacity Vista Class, but I wonder if you were simply remembering the wrong Noordam. Over the years, HAL has had four ships named Noordam, including one that was part of the fleet from 1984 to 2005 that had a passenger capacity of under 1300.

Possibly, I did go to the HAL site and the R-Class may actually be able to get approval from Key West if ships are indeed forced to sail with fewer guests.  It wouldn't be difficult to get those ships under the 1300 requirement.  

We've stopped in Key West several times, thankfully each time was the first port on the cruise so we didn't have the immigration issue.  We enjoy our time there but can also understand how many of the residents would prefer not to have to endure the invasion of 1000's of people at one time...especially if an Oasis class ship is there.

• Like 1

We were on the Reflection in February and drove down to Key West after our cruise to extend our vacation for a few days. I would highly recommend the drive to Key West, with a few fun stops along the way. Several ships had port days while we were there. The Carnival ship left later than the others.

C4515B14-1216-4540-B041-D834D68B11B9.jpeg

F7419AC5-0FE3-40EC-BBED-9EC0CFA28A0F.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hcat said:

We spent much more than $32; each time we  have stopped there..

NIce lunch out,  tee shitrts , sandals,   reg clothing, spices, aloe store, art work, museums, gardens, desserts ( yum)  etc.

Same here...much more.  

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Are these two of the potential ones to be scrapped in Carnival’s list of 13. It seems that many of the 13 are the small capacity ships such as Pacific Princess. If this is the case, then it doesn’t leave many ships that qualify for Key West!

Edited by downsmead