Key West Could Ban Large Ships

Cruising89143

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Oh, I thought the Noordam and other ships in that class were smaller too, thanks for correcting.

These ships must be super old by now. Even though I am not that well informed about the capacities of these cruisers but in my opinion 1200 people is not that many. I thought of something about 5.000 people. I never actually thought of it.. I will google it to find out 

17 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Are these two of the potential ones to be scrapped in Carnival’s list of 13. It seems that many of the 13 are the small capacity ships such as Pacific Princess. If this is the case, then it doesn’t leave many ships that qualify for Key West!

I've not seen a final list of the 13 ships to go, but the Maasdam and the Veendam certainly have been discussed as potential candidates. 

30 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

These ships must be super old by now. Even though I am not that well informed about the capacities of these cruisers but in my opinion 1200 people is not that many. I thought of something about 5.000 people. I never actually thought of it.. I will google it to find out 

I think most of the Vista class have been renovated in the last few years.  Not sure how extensive the renovations were though.

A few years ago on the MSC Divina we docked in St.Thomas with 4 other large ships and I figured there where close to 19, 000 passengers visiting the island that day from cruise ships. There were probably more than 19,000  but I had no idea how many 3rd and 4th passengers were aboard the 5 ships. 

Edited by MISTER 67

7 hours ago, mafig said:

We were there on Fantasy Fest once, too.  It's more down key during the day, but, still, we walked down the street and people were having parties in those lovely, old houses and kept inviting us to come in or "come on up"  (to their balcony parties) for a drink.

Happy Cruiser, we've driven but haven not taken the high speed catamaran.  Did you take the one out of Ft. Myers?  How was it?

Yes, took the one out of Fort Myers.  It was fine on the way down.  We hit some rough seas on the way back.  People from around here do it all the time--just roll on their luggage and off they go.  It's certainly a faster way to get there from the west coast of Florida.  Having done it once, though, I'd prefer to do the drive next time and see some different things.

• Thanks 1

The last couple of cruises we have been on - Caribbean and Mediterranean, there has been a change of port order to avoid the situation of having too many ships in port on the days we were due in. I can’t remember precisely which ports (likely Santorini or Mykonos in the Med, Caribbean ?). 

We were due to visit Key West on our cancelled New Orleans cruise this year, but had previously driven down the Keys back in the early 80’s. We stopped one night somewhere on the drive down. At that time, one day was sufficient to see the attractions in Key West!

Edited by downsmead

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Completely agree!  I'm annoyed when the Key West stop is on the return leg bc of the immigration procedures on board.  Very inconvenient, IMO.  I'm guessing you don't have to go through this if KW is the first port after leaving MIA but still, I don't find much to do after you have visited once and done the touristy things.   

Key West is definitely best experienced on the outbound leg so no fooling around with customs.  If I were on a ship doing it on the way back, I'd probably just stay on the ship since I've been there so many times.

• Like 1

I think a nice compromise might be a limit of one ship/day.  And no 5,000+ pax ships.  I know when we pull into St. Maarten and I see 4 or 5 ships already there, I declare a sea day!  I was actually there once when we were the only ship in port.  Couldn't believe how different it was.

19 hours ago, Oville said:

We’ve been to Key West probably 3 or 4 times not as cruisers and loved it every time.  Cruised there multiple times, not so much for us but everyone is different.  It’s way to crowded when a number of ships are there.

Hope all is well and maybe we can get together in the Fall.🙂😢. Arrived back on the other Cape June 18th, it’s like living on a different planet.  Katie

Katie, glad you made it back to the other Cape safe and sound.  It's definitely a different planet!  See you in the fall!

3 minutes ago, downsmead said:

The last couple of cruises we have been on - Caribbean and Mediterranean, there has been a change of port order to avoid the situation of having too many ships in port on the days we were due in. I can’t remember precisely which ports (likely Santorini or Mykonos in the Med, Caribbean ?). 

I can never understand why there are last-minute changes like the ones you have experienced when all of the cruise lines plan far in advance and in conjunction with port authorities. Another problem we've experienced is changes in docking assignments, not a big deal with many ports, but as anyone who has experienced a last minute change from Crown Bay to Havensight in Charlotte Amalie will attest, it can throw a real monkey wrench into your spokes. I've now developed the habit of verifying directly with the port authorities in advance of our cruises, and last summer on a single cruise in Norway found two of our docking areas had been changed, both several kilometres from the docks we were meant to use according to HAL. 

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think a nice compromise might be a limit of one ship/day.  And no 5,000+ pax ships.  I know when we pull into St. Maarten and I see 4 or 5 ships already there, I declare a sea day!  I was actually there once when we were the only ship in port.  Couldn't believe how different it was.

Yes we spent the day on the ship in September in Sat Maarten, been so many times and it just gets swamped with cruise ships at times as does St Thomas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I can never understand why there are last-minute changes like the ones you have experienced when all of the cruise lines plan far in advance and in conjunction with port authorities. Another problem we've experienced is changes in docking assignments, not a big deal with many ports, but as anyone who has experienced a last minute change from Crown Bay to Havensight in Charlotte Amalie will attest, it can throw a real monkey wrench into your spokes. I've now developed the habit of verifying directly with the port authorities in advance of our cruises, and last summer on a single cruise in Norway found two of our docking areas had been changed, both several kilometres from the docks we were meant to use according to HAL. 

We,ll take Havensight over Crown Bay anytime..not much going on at CB and a longer way from the town..Unfortnately, CB is nowvthe Royal/ Celeb  docking area on St Thomas.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Key West is definitely best experienced on the outbound leg so no fooling around with customs.  If I were on a ship doing it on the way back, I'd probably just stay on the ship since I've been there so many times.

Even if you remain onboard with it on an inbound leg you still have to go through customs. I’ve been on another line after stopping at their private island and everyone had to present themselves to CBP the morning we were in Key West whether or not you were disembarking.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:27 AM, mafig said:

We were there on Fantasy Fest once, too.  It's more down key during the day, but, still, we walked down the street and people were having parties in those lovely, old houses and kept inviting us to come in or "come on up"  (to their balcony parties) for a drink.

Happy Cruiser, we've driven but haven not taken the high speed catamaran.  Did you take the one out of Ft. Myers?  How was it?

To us, it seemed like  a shirts off and tatoo, type of event...flea market vendors..kind of a raunchy and rowdy crowd. Less of a good time than Mardi Gras!

Could not  access our fav lunch place and shop keepers complained they had to compete with outside vendors.  Many locals stay home til it passes!

But it was a one off for us...love the quaint parts of KW and hope to get to Dry Tortugas next trip...

22 hours ago, downsmead said:

We were due to visit Key West on our cancelled New Orleans cruise this year, but had previously driven down the Keys back in the early 80’s. We stopped one night somewhere on the drive down. At that time, one day was sufficient to see the attractions in Key West!

What would "the attractions" be?

13 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Even if you remain onboard with it on an inbound leg you still have to go through customs. I’ve been on another line after stopping at their private island and everyone had to present themselves to CBP the morning we were in Key West whether or not you were disembarking.

Whatever.  I'm not showing up at some ungodly early hour to do that.  Let them come find me!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Whatever.  I'm not showing up at some ungodly early hour to do that.  Let them come find me!

Unless things have changed, they will come and find you.

• Like 2