More cruises from Portsmouth?

AndyMichelle

43 minutes ago, mike x ftc said:

Portsmouth gets a few ships in but not regularly. Saga, CMV,  Phoenix Reisen, Paul Gauguin and last year a few calls from Viking.  There's a lot in Portsmouth and a great base but the port is just a bit far out from public transport and things to see, nothing would be walkable from the ship.

Lots of " Ports of call " are like that. La Rochelle, Gibraltar etc. Shuttle buses, taxi's. even water buses could run to Gunwharf. Even a beach day at Southsea 😁

The ‘port of call’ for non-Brit based lines could be a goer, couldn’t it.  There are/have been several “foreign” lines calling into Portland, with coach loads happily setting off for Stonehenge, the Cerne Giant and even Bath.  Is Portsmouth closer/quicker to London than Southampton?  That would score a plus for it

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

The ‘port of call’ for non-Brit based lines could be a goer, couldn’t it.  There are/have been several “foreign” lines calling into Portland, with coach loads happily setting off for Stonehenge, the Cerne Giant and even Bath.  Is Portsmouth closer/quicker to London than Southampton?  That would score a plus for it

About the same to London BUT you are alongside 45-60 mins earlier than continuing to Southampton. That gives an extra 90-120 mins alongside with still the same entry/exit times at Nab Tower.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thanks

So that’s a point in Pompey’s favour then.  What about port fees - might they be lower than Southampton? Or might there be incentives from Portsmouth civic authorities to lure ships in?

At the end of lockdown we went to Southsea a couple of times. The loos were open and free and no charge for parking. Incentives like free parking may get the cruise ships. I don't know the normal parking fees for ships, but about £3 for 4 hours for a car.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Majesty is the largest cruise liner ever to visit and can only do so because of the improvements. 

Everything Britboys said is accurate, so why would Pompey Council invest so much in something that is apparently unusable? 

Doesn't make sense. 

Andy 

Rather than become a rival to Southampton for departures from the U.K., I wonder if the plan is to make it a port of call for cruise ships from overseas? That would then make sense, as there are far more places of interest in Portsmouth than Southampton for those who don’t wish to venture too far, yet it is about the same time to get to London. That would also take some pressure off Southampton, leaving it to concentrate on turnover days only. Just a thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Lots of " Ports of call " are like that. La Rochelle, Gibraltar etc. Shuttle buses, taxi's. even water buses could run to Gunwharf. Even a beach day at Southsea 😁

Is Portsmouth a better shopping town than Southampton?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polly1922 said:

Portsmouth has a nice mall called Gunwharf quay. I'm not that familiar with the Shopping at Southampton, but I seem to recall it is quite decent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Polly1922 said:

For day to day shopping, Southampton now knocks spots off Portsmouth. Portsmouth's main shopping is along Commercial Road but sadly it is now very down at heel. At one time it was a lovely bustling centre but now, apart from Debenhams at the southern end, there are few remotely decent shops. As you walk north, it deteriorates further. Such a shame - my Dad was from Portsmouth and he would be so sad to see it today. Gunwharf Quays however is a lovely outlet mall beside the water. Southampton on the other hand now has an excellent main shopping area, centred on Above Bar. I've been sailing out of Southampton since 1997 and the improvement in the city over the years is phenomenal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Portsmouth has a nice mall called Gunwharf quay. I'm not that familiar with the Shopping at Southampton, but I seem to recall it is quite decent.

Thank you.

If cruising starts from Portsmouth we will go there.

Usually I go to Westquay shopping centre in Southampton if we are cruising from Southampton.

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

For day to day shopping, Southampton now knocks spots off Portsmouth. Portsmouth's main shopping is along Commercial Road but sadly it is now very down at heel. At one time it was a lovely bustling centre but now, apart from Debenhams at the southern end, there are few remotely decent shops. As you walk north, it deteriorates further. Such a shame - my Dad was from Portsmouth and he would be so sad to see it today. Gunwharf Quays however is a lovely outlet mall beside the water. Southampton on the other hand now has an excellent main shopping area, centred on Above Bar. I've been sailing out of Southampton since 1997 and the improvement in the city over the years is phenomenal.

Thank you,this is very helpful.

• Like 1

As a resident of Portsmouth I wish I could say it has more going for it than Southampton but I'd find that hard, even if our tasteful blue shirts are nicer than those 'orrible red and white ones!  The Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf are great for visitors as are Old Portsmouth and Southsea, but as a cruise port I can't ever seeing it rivalling Southampton - complementing maybe but I'm not sure about direct competition.  There was much noise in the local press about the improvements to the terminal which wouldn't be too hard to access via shuttle busses to/from the railway station, Gunwharf and the Historic Dockyard all of which are located virtually next to each other - there's a good system of bus lanes which would avoid the worst of the traffic.  Apparently Saga were to hold the naming ceremony for their new ship here, rumour has it that this was to be held on the jetty adjacent to the Historic Dockyard with HMS Victory as the backdrop and that there were plans to base the ship here, but I'm not sure how much of that was fact. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Liverpool have made big improvements to their terminal but they have shallow water with only a narrow channel approach deep enough to accommodate big cruise liners.

We have the QM2 in and docked at the cruise terminal a good number of times so not shallow, but present terminal could not turn around a large ship, (not sure how large is too large). The QM2 had done a partial turnaround here in the middle of round UK cruises from S'ton in the past (sold as 2 mini cruises), but I understand (from the local agent who sold those cruises) that is not likely to be repeated because they were sunk for tax due to providing a cruise without a non UK port.

Yes there is a new cruise terminal planned for Liverpool, but am certainly not holding my breath as to when it will appear.  Would be good for us though.

My husband is from the Portsmouth area and we know it well, but one thing I will add is that hotels tend to be expensive near there, more so then Southampton in the summer.  Lots of things to see/do there on a short visit.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

A couple of years ago Portsmouth International Port (where cruise ships berth) launched a free boat service for visiting cruise ships.  This took visiting passengers from the Port directly to Gunwharf Quays passing the famous ships (Victory/Warrior) in the historic dockyard, I don't know if they kept it up, but at the time it got lots of good reviews.

RCI Majesty of the Seas leaving Portsmouth the other night.

image.png

Edited by Arachnid
add photo
  • Like 5

I like Portsmouth, been to the dockyard twice and still haven’t seen everything! The Mary Rose exhibition is very well laid out now. The first time I saw it it was just the damp hull! Now there’s lots there.

I also like Gunwharf quays and the Spinnaker tower. Brilliant views from the top, had a coffee watching the Isle of Wight ferries going in and out, it was a very sharp turn!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I like Portsmouth, been to the dockyard twice and still haven’t seen everything! The Mary Rose exhibition is very well laid out now. The first time I saw it it was just the damp hull! Now there’s lots there.

I also like Gunwharf quays and the Spinnaker tower. Brilliant views from the top, had a coffee watching the Isle of Wight ferries going in and out, it was a very sharp turn!

Yes, the Dockyard with the Mary Rose etc is a magnificent tourist attraction and probably outranks Southampton on that front. Southampton does have some good stuff too though, with the Sea City Museum, Art Gallery, Tudor House Museum and Solent Sky aviation museum.

• Like 2

Saga was to name her ship here and then base a ship here. Its aim is to become a popular port for visiting ships.

The plan as stated above was to offer a Venice style water taxi service to Gunwharf Quays with easy access to the Historic Dockyard and Old Portsmouth. There is also a shuttle bus service which operates between the Port, Portsmouth & Southsea train station and Portsmouth Harbour train station. It uses a contract with Baileys Busses but is supplemented by local local bus company when the biggest cruise ships are in port.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

For tourists, especially foreign tourists, I think the surrounding tourist attractions of Portsmouth (e.g. the Mary Rose, Victory, etc) outrank those of Southampton, with tours to Stonehenge, London, etc as easily accessible. 

Bit of a trek to Stonehenge from Portsmouth.  Adds about another 20 miles on what was a fair journey from Southampton to begin with and that extra bit of road/motorway can be very slow moving at certain times.  Better things to see from Portsmouth as you have mentioned, though I am sure it will not stop some of our US cousins from taking the journey mind 🙂

1 hour ago, tring said:

Bit of a trek to Stonehenge from Portsmouth.  Adds about another 20 miles on what was a fair journey from Southampton to begin with and that extra bit of road/motorway can be very slow moving at certain times.  Better things to see from Portsmouth as you have mentioned, though I am sure it will not stop some of our US cousins from taking the journey mind 🙂

I was in a taxi to Southampton airport one morning a few years back and the driver was telling me that his next job was to collect an American couple from a cruise ship that had just docked in Southampton, take them to Stonehenge and then deliver them to Heathrow for their flight home. Nothing like trying to cram it all in and I bet that wasn’t a cheap day out, but I suppose if you’re only here the once and you really want to see it it’s worth it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

I agree, it’s a bit of a trek (65 miles)  but no worse for example than Le Havre to Paris (120+ miles), or Zeebrugge to Brussels (70 miles) etc. Or even Southampton to London or Oxford