What to do with Cruise Ships

Galley Slave

I saw a similar story to this in Bloomberg last week, since it's beginning to look like there will be no cruising in N. America for the rest of 2020, lines will have to make decisions on what vessels to scrap and what to keep pretty quickly. 

The 2 ships that had been porting in Oakland this summer Seven Seas Mariner and an NCL ship both have sailed to LA, so it least they got a few days of sailing in.

Florida reported 15,400 new Covid 19 cases today, since most of the Winter Caribbean season sails from FL, It doesn't look good.

-Paul

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I made a note to not be on the first sailing of any ship coming out of cold storage, it will be worse then after dry dock.

Sounds like good advice.

So far the ships seem to not yet be in cold storage, but as these delays continue, who knows. And from reading these boards there are some who will nevertheless be eager to be the first onboard.

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

Wonder how many ships in the HAL fleet will be sold or scarped? 

CCL has already said they intend to dispose of 13 ships.  I suspect the remaining S class ships are likely candidates as well is one or two of the R Class.....   But I have no inside info, just my guess.

Edited by crusinbanjo

21 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I saw a similar story to this in Bloomberg last week, since it's beginning to look like there will be no cruising in N. America for the rest of 2020, lines will have to make decisions on what vessels to scrap and what to keep pretty quickly. 

The 2 ships that had been porting in Oakland this summer Seven Seas Mariner and an NCL ship both have sailed to LA, so it least they got a few days of sailing in.

Florida reported 15,400 new Covid 19 cases today, since most of the Winter Caribbean season sails from FL, It doesn't look good.

-Paul

NCL ship is the Jewel. 

9 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

CCL has already said they intend to dispose of 13 ships.  I suspect the remaining S class ships are likely candidates as well is one or two of the R Class.....   But I have no inside info, just my guess.

There are multiple reports that the Carnival Fantasy has been sold for scrap, and the Carnival Inspiration appears to be shortly behind her.

This along with Costa Victoria and Oceana (P&O) will make up 4 of the 13 ships. The 13 apparently does not include 4 vessels that Carnival had agreements to sell prior to the pandemic.

Maasdam and Veendam are both near the Suez Canal per MarineTraffic.com. No word yet on whether Turkey is their final destination, but if it is, they are in formation.