Changes for cruisers and others from 1 January (passports, medical, pets etc) - new government campaign starts

Harry Peterson

Smacks to me of mountains out of mole hills. I am old enough to remember travelling to Belgium and Holland way before we joined the then EEC. It really is not a problem, especially if we are allowed to bring duty free into the UK, may offset the insurance increase 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you like.  Actually, the whole country has lost, and the Union will probably end up losing Scotland, and possibly Northern Ireland.  That’s tragic.

Not tragic, Scotland, Wales and Ireland will get what they wished for, becoming independent and fully self supporting, with the English Taxpayer being financially better off because of no more Barnett Formula, subsidies, grants and guarantees. 

• Like 2

EHIC card. There are some countries outside the EU which accept the card so there is no reason why the UK can’t negotiate to still use the card. Negotiations are still ongoing.

Below is copied from the EHIC website which shows which countries accept, or don’t accept, the card.

Although it is essentially an EU health card, it can also be used in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway. In total it can be used in 28 different countries across Europe. There are some countries within Europe which do not accept the EU card, including:

1) The Isle of Man
2) The Channel Islands
3) Guernsey, Alderney and Sark
4) Monaco
5) San Marino
6) The Vatican

Brian

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The latest info from all the mobile phone operators is that they do not intend to increase roaming charges after the transition period. As far as insurance costs are concerned Covid 19 will have a much greater impact than Brexit, and of course if there is an agreement EHIC cards could continue, and may do so even without one.

No one yet knows what will happen, but you remainers still want to peddle project fear.  You lost the war Harry, you really need to get used to the new reality.

“Three has told us it won't be bringing back roaming charges, while EE, O2 andVodafone have said they have "no plans to do so", but weren't able to rule it out.“

That’s the latest information, and the only company prepared to commit to no increases is Three.  No plans to do so is a meaningless expression that tends to be used by governments before tax increases, when they just say their plans changed.

25 minutes ago, BrianI said:

EHIC card. There are some countries outside the EU which accept the card so there is no reason why the UK can’t negotiate to still use the card. Negotiations are still ongoing.

Below is copied from the EHIC website which shows which countries accept, or don’t accept, the card.

Although it is essentially an EU health card, it can also be used in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway. In total it can be used in 28 different countries across Europe. There are some countries within Europe which do not accept the EU card, including:

1) The Isle of Man
2) The Channel Islands
3) Guernsey, Alderney and Sark
4) Monaco
5) San Marino
6) The Vatican

Brian

The EHIC card is a nice thing to have, but as we have never used it, not the end of the world, is it?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Churchill might well have had had a hand in pushing France and Germany toward cooperation on certain aspects of trade, but he had no interest in the UK becoming involved, and I am fairly certain he also wanted to maintain the US as the favoured partner of the UK.

Churchill spoke in 1946 on forming a United States of Europe in a speech at the University of Zurich.

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The EHIC card is a nice thing to have, but as we have never used it, not the end of the world, is it?.

Hardly. But it has a direct impact on the cost of buying travel insurance, which becomes increasingly expensive as you get older and/or acquire medical conditions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Quite. The end of the world is not having comprehensive travel insurance. I often wonder how some of those on board manage to get cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not tragic, Scotland, Wales and Ireland will get what they wished for, becoming independent and fully self supporting, with the English Taxpayer being financially better off because of no more Barnett Formula, subsidies, grants and guarantees. 

But Scotland will have most of the oilfields and fishing grounds. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Churchill spoke in 1946 on forming a United States of Europe in a speech at the University of Zurich.

https://winstonchurchill.org/resources/speeches/1946-1963-elder-statesman/united-states-of-europe/

Well said.  Frequently overlooked because it doesn’t fit the current agenda. My father in law nearly died in Burma in the last world war. I can assure the doubters that those men, and many others, always supported a united Europe. They’re probably turning in their graves at the rewriting of history.

I am now going to say something that will astonish you. The first step in the re-creation of the European family must be a partnership between France and Germany. In this way only can France recover the moral and cultural leadership of Europe. There can be no revival of Europe without a spiritually great France and a spiritually great Germany. The structure of the United States of Europe will be such as to make the material strength of a single State less important. Small nations will count as much as large ones and gain their honour by a contribution to the common cause. The ancient States and principalities of Germany, freely joined for mutual convenience in a federal system, might take their individual places among the United States of Europe.

Churchill

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Quite. The end of the world is not having comprehensive travel insurance. I often wonder how some of those on board manage to get cover.

Agreed . We have always had Annual cover , including cruise cover. We quite often forget to take the EHIC card ashore with us, so couldn't use it anyway. We will remember with Covid still around. It could be useful then. No doubt the Government will have that sorted. As Harry said, they have all that stuff well under control.

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have already had most of their oil, but that's past it's prime now anyway. Cornwall and Devon have a few fish, but no doubt Scotland will still want to flog theirs. Thinking about it, Lots of fish landed in English ports.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Churchill might well have had had a hand in pushing France and Germany toward cooperation on certain aspects of trade, but he had no interest in the UK becoming involved, and I am fairly certain he also wanted to maintain the US as the favoured partner of the UK.

I suppose I must thank Churchill. In England I have purchased a German car with a French engine.😂

50 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

“Three has told us it won't be bringing back roaming charges, while EE, O2 andVodafone have said they have "no plans to do so", but weren't able to rule it out.“

That’s the latest information, and the only company prepared to commit to no increases is Three.  No plans to do so is a meaningless expression that tends to be used by governments before tax increases, when they just say their plans changed.

Don't be such a misery guts Harry, why always assume the worst.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

And be bankrupt.

Money Traders (and I) will shred the new Scottish currency.  In the process taking down the Bank of last resort and making huge profits.

Banks know this, therefore there will be no "Promise to pay the bearer" takers, no Scottish currency and no independence.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Don't be such a misery guts Harry, why always assume the worst.

Because when mobile phone operators and profits are concerned that's just what happens.  And in the case of Coronavirus those of us who were warning very early on that this was no flu and that it was serious were proved absolutely right.

Very little point going through life with your head in the sand going la la la, ignoring facts, and pretending everything's fine when it isn't.  

36 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

You really need to read the last paragraph to understand that Churchill believed that Britain and the commonwealth would stand alongside a new Europe as a friend and equal alongside the USA and Russia, he definitely never wanted us to be an integral part of a United Europe.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Have you seen the price of Brent crude recently!

Still ok, but if you look at the production v proven reserves not good. Scotland will need to sell most to EU if they are going to use the Euro.

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Still ok, but if you look at the production v proven reserves not good. Scotland will need to sell most to EU if they are going to use the Euro.

To use the Euro, Scotland will have to trade and operate in their own currency for (I think) three years.  Then and only if a financially stable currency, Scotland will be allowed to join the Euro on payment of 50/100 Billion Euros.

So how does an unstable shredded currency, with no viable Bank of Last Resort, purchase a substantial amount of Euros.

I know, follow the Greece Protocol, just borrow the Euros from the EU (German) Banks at stratospheric interest rates.

Ms Fish then declares Scotland is thriving as an independent country.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

I’m opposed to any state, including Russia, China and now America, that’s prepared to try to control the UK. 

Like the EU did?

Not at all - as a full member we elected our own representatives and also had the right of veto.  Does that apply to China, Russia or America?

Who elected Dominic Cummings?

• Like 2

Oh great, another political discussion. I think I'll go to a political forum and start a thread on dress code and tipping. 

Probably like a number of people on here I'm an avid reader and occasional poster. Whilst I appreciate there's not much cruising at the moment I'd have thought the threads on here would be at least cruise related.