Have you seen people denied entrance to dining room because not. Dressed properly?

oskidunker

Yes, I have seen people turned away from the  Britannia dining room on QM2 during transatlantic crossings. Here's a partial quote from a previous post of mine concerning a crossing last July.

"On one of the smart attire evenings in Britannia, a gentleman attempted to enter for dinner without a jacket. He was politely yet firmly turned away. He protested that all he had was an ugly plaid jacket and he would look better without one, but he was told a jacket was required nonetheless."

I also saw a man turned away a few years ago after trying to enter the restaurant wearing one of those goofy t-shirts that are printed to look like a tuxedo jacket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Have you seen people denied entrance to dining room. Not Dressed properly?

Hi oskidunker,

Yes we have seen passengers denied access to the Britannia Restaurant by the Captain/Ass. Captains of the Dining Room. Either at the Main Entrance or side entrances. They were kindly approached to return to their cabin for more appropriate dress to be changed too.

Some do enter when the Dining Room when the meal service is in full swing and are not first noticed but were approached.

The Staff are very polite with their approach and never saw any debate. The passenger just exited and returned in proper dress for the suggested dress code of the evening.

We seen it happen in the past either on Embarkation Day or when we sailed on Caribbean Sailings shortly after departing the port. Some people just at time play a Game of Chance to see if they aren't noticed. 

The one thing we look forward to even on Embarkation Day is the daily Evening Dress Code on board the QM2........ 

Edited by BklynBoy8

Thanks. On Princess when they decide to enforce the dress code I have seen much arguing which is not pleasant. What. caused me to switch From Princess  to Cunard was the real lack of any compliance to the dress code. I think sweatshirts on formal night was the last straw

5 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks. On Princess when they decide to enforce the dress code I have seen much arguing which is not pleasant. Thats what caused me to switch From Princess  to Cunard was the real lack of any compliance to the dress code. I think sweatshirts on formal night was the last straw

Hi oskidunker again,

That's a new one, sweatshirts on Formal Night.... Penalty for that should be walking the Plank! lol.....

Honestly really never heard arguing on board... Cunarder's are more understanding. You will see a difference in each line.

Yes, they should walk the Plank!  

Jackets are required for men in the Main Dining Room on entering.   However, on our last QM2 crossing, many men took off their jacket  and put it on the back of their chair. Looks like nothing was said to them as there were quite a few who did this.

Years ago was sent back for my jacket last night of the cruise in the Britannia,  I just reentered through another door. In the Grills they leave you alone all together. COVID will likely put an end to all that nonsense since the laundromats will be closed and Cunard won't want passengers ironing, washing clothes, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oceansandseas said:

Jackets are required for men in the Main Dining Room on entering.   However, on our last QM2 crossing, many men took off their jacket  and put it on the back of their chair. Looks like nothing was said to them as there were quite a few who did this.

I always remove my jacket if possible, won't spill food on it that way.  Even the main dining room at the London Ritz is less formal than the Britannia.

I'm in a wheelchair and therefore find it quite difficult to wear a formal jacket due to the way it hangs when I'm in my chair, I've been on the QM2 about half a dozen times, the first couple of times I just wore a Waistcoat and Bow Tie in the Britannia Restaurant and had no problems but the third or fourth time the Maitre'D approached me and was quite rude about the fact that I wasn't wearing a jacket, even though we explained to him the reasons why, so after that I bought a jacket and wear it on formal nights on every cruise even though I do not like the way it looks on me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, resistk said:

I always remove my jacket if possible, won't spill food on it that way.  Even the main dining room at the London Ritz is less formal than the Britannia.

The Ritz in London has a dress code that insists on jackets for men at lunch, dinner and afternoon tea. That is more than on any Cunard ship.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

The Ritz in London has a dress code that insists on jackets for men at lunch, dinner and afternoon tea. That is more than on any Cunard ship.

And men have to wear a tie, too, in the restaurant and for afternoon tea:

THE RITZ DRESS CODE

The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, resistk said:

I always remove my jacket if possible, won't spill food on it that way.

The reason given for the removal of a Jacket is because you have a regular tendency to spill quantities of food down it. (?)

Have you consider eating a more genteelly?

Cunard do supply a substantial napkin for your use.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, omah1975 said:

I'm in a wheelchair and therefore find it quite difficult to wear a formal jacket due to the way it hangs when I'm in my chair, I've been on the QM2 about half a dozen times, the first couple of times I just wore a Waistcoat and Bow Tie in the Britannia Restaurant and had no problems but the third or fourth time the Maitre'D approached me and was quite rude about the fact that I wasn't wearing a jacket, even though we explained to him the reasons why, so after that I bought a jacket and wear it on formal nights on every cruise even though I do not like the way it looks on me.

They will have better things to do post COVID lockdow then act as the jacket police I suspect, like make sure hygienic standards and social distancing requirements are met.

• Like 1

That is why we cruise with Cunard because we like the dress code and everyone knows the dress code before they cruise so they should be refused entry. If people dont like wearing jackets or formal wear there is always the buffet or room service. There are plenty of cruise lines available who dont adhere to dress codes so the choice is there. If you dont enforce the dress code then it is a slippery road and there is always somebody who wants to go one step further and then you end up with people going for dinner in jeans and t shirts AKA Princess Cruises. 

• Like 2

At breakfast on one of our cruises my husband was wearing what he called a sleeveless tee shirt and I would have described as a printed vest. He was asked to change his top, which he did and hasn't turned up for breakfast in mdr sleveless again. 

• Haha 1

On our last QV cruise the man on the next table walked in with jacket on and  took it off and put it on the back of his chair. I could not see the point it should be worn during the entire meal.IMO.

I remember that when I lived in southern Africa, SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Malawi and Zambia, that taking off one’s jacket and hanging it on the back of the chair was quite common even in the best restaurants and clubs. I was surprised but I put it down to the climate custom-not bad manners. 

• Like 1

Had not heard that the passengers laundries will be closed.   Doesn’t really impact formal wear, especially jackets.   I would not count on the dress code being relaxed as dressing for dinner has little to do with sanitation.   I have seen gents turned away from the Queens Grill without jackets.   I did not see them offered any of the loaner jackets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Had not heard that the passengers laundries will be closed. 

Given the laundrettes are smaller than my wife's closet at home, how could anyone do laudry and stay 6 feet apart? And they do quite busy on formal night days.

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That is why we cruise with Cunard because we like the dress code and everyone knows the dress code before they cruise so they should be refused entry. If people dont like wearing jackets or formal wear there is always the buffet or room service. There are plenty of cruise lines available who dont adhere to dress codes so the choice is there. If you dont enforce the dress code then it is a slippery road and there is always somebody who wants to go one step further and then you end up with people going for dinner in jeans and t shirts AKA Princess Cruises. 

I think this affection for the dress code is more common in the 65+ age range, who may not be cruising in the near future?  Cunard is going to have a hard time filling its ships unless it changes with the times. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Wordzz said:

And men have to wear a tie, too, in the restaurant and for afternoon tea:

THE RITZ DRESS CODE

The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace.

The point of a dress code is (like it or not) to maintain a certain atmosphere in a particular area.  While there may occasionally be conditions where removing a jacket is indicated, regularly doing so just subverts the code.  The point is not to just prove that you own a jacket - but to actually be willing to wear it.  

If if you are unhappy at being expected to travel in the Cunard mode, perhaps you should book your travel on NCL.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The point of a dress code is (like it or not) to maintain a certain atmosphere in a particular area.  While there may occasionally be conditions where removing a jacket is indicated, regularly doing so just subverts the code.  The point is not to just prove that you own a jacket - but to actually be willing to wear it.  

If if you are unhappy at being expected to travel in the Cunard mode, perhaps you should book your travel on NCL.

No thanks, I am a Cunard Diamond member and they owe me aroud $2500 in FCCs so will surely be back. I find the Grills much more relaxed than Britannia.  I simply find the formal night dress code to be a real pain in the rear end, a pair of black golf slacks and matching light weight black blazer is a great stand in for a tux and weighs much less.  By all means the ladies should dress up but some of the mens' formal evening wear, like their owers, have seen better days.