Moon October cruise cancelled

Martyboy500

Just received a notice from SS that the following Moon cruises are cancelled...unknown reason, since it is finished.

Oct 2 cruise From Venice to Venice

Oct 12 cruise from Venice to Piraeus/Athens

Oct 19 cruise from Piraeus/Athens to MonteCarlo

Oct 30 cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona 

I had a feeling that they were going to cancel my back to back cruises. Very disappointed. 

Too many international travel restrictions? No good if pax can’t get to the ship. 

I was on the November 8th but chose to cancel, I expect that one might be next for the chop. 

Edited by jollyjones

And the one after on the 23 Nov..... 13 days to decide! If it weren't for the fact it destroys the best deal we've ever had, I'd cut my losses and cancel as I dodnt think there is a cat in hells chance it will sail... and even if it does, I cant currently enter the US and expect that wont change.

What I am clinging onto the slimmest of slim chances they might reschedule this voyage making this attempt number 3, but I'm not hopeful, just kidding myself really.

Edited by les37b

30 minutes ago, les37b said:

And the one after on the 23 Nov..... 13 days to decide! If it weren't for the fact it destroys the best deal we've ever had, I'd cut my losses and cancel as I dodnt think there is a cat in hells chance it will sail... and even if it does, I cant currently enter the US and expect that wont change.

What I am clinging onto the slimmest of slim chances they might reschedule this voyage making this attempt number 3, but I'm not hopeful, just kidding myself really.

Did you get a call from Lawrence?

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Oh dear, that makes the crossing a shakedown cruise if it goes ahead. UK website still not updated!

We anticipated this and cancelled two weeks ago. No 'shakedowns' for us! Now we have to decide on the Christmas cruise on Silver Whisper. I suspect that will go too.

13 minutes ago, philipb said:

We anticipated this and cancelled two weeks ago. No 'shakedowns' for us! Now we have to decide on the Christmas cruise on Silver Whisper. I suspect that will go too.

Good for you, we took a punt based on advice. If the worst happens we can still cancel up to 48 hours before and move the money to a 2022 cruise.

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Too many international travel restrictions? No good if pax can’t get to the ship. 

Agree above!!  Lots of challenges as so many ports and countries are now allow these ships to be able to visit.  Plus, the limits as to airline flights makes this situation even more challenging.  Just read that Heathrow is down to only one runway operating there now.  Is that correct from our UK residents/experts?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,885

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

17 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Agree above!!  Lots of challenges as so many ports and countries are now allow these ships to be able to visit.  Plus, the limits as to airline flights makes this situation even more challenging.  Just read that Heathrow is down to only one runway operating there now.  Is that correct from our UK residents/experts?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,885

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Yes it is, second runway closed until October. Probably for some much needed maintenance Terry.

I wonder if they might defer launch of Moon for paying guests until March.  After its scheduled TA, much time is scheduled to be spent in central/south America (including ~ 70 night Grand Cruise around South America.)  Those are perhaps not the most salubrious places to be nowadays.  I know it would disappoint many people booked on Moon, but I wonder whether it mightn't make sense for SS to keep Moon in Europe for the winter and -- ideally! -- begin cruising in Europe.

52 minutes ago, Observer said:

I wonder if they might defer launch of Moon for paying guests until March.  After its scheduled TA, much time is scheduled to be spent in central/south America (including ~ 70 night Grand Cruise around South America.)  Those are perhaps not the most salubrious places to be nowadays.  I know it would disappoint many people booked on Moon, but I wonder whether it mightn't make sense for SS to keep Moon in Europe for the winter and -- ideally! -- begin cruising in Europe.

This would make sense!

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Yes it is, second runway closed until October. Probably for some much needed maintenance Terry.

Definitely having maintenance done.  Plan is for the runway to stay closed until sometime in October, then reopen for daytime flights and continued works at night.    Excellent opportunity, as runway closures usually mean huge operational challenges.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Martyboy500 said:

Just received a notice from SS that the following Moon cruises are cancelled...

Oct 30 cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona

Well, crud!  This was the beginning voyage of our back-to-back cruise.  We haven’t heard from SS or TA yet, so still awaiting confirmation here.

55 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Well, crud!  This was the beginning voyage of our back-to-back cruise.  We haven’t heard from SS or TA yet, so still awaiting confirmation here.

We got  notification  from our TA this morning Brian !!   🙁  But Aust  wont let us out of the country anyway !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

But Aust  wont let us out of the country anyway !

Appreciate the confirmation and added details about the current maintenance and operations at Heathrow.  As to above about Australia, tell us more about the details for how your country is limiting your travel, how long it might last, etc. 

19 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Did you get a call from Lawrence?

No. I do still need to email GS though to clarify a few things in the event of cancellations on how exactly they treat the booking. For my Wind cancellation, they only took the cash part for the FCC (leaving the video credit off completely!).... The replacement, I've had to cough up just over £1000 extra each .... and on the invoice, thats the only cash reference which is a little worrying given what they just did. I want to know that the gross value I've paid would be the value if they or I cancelled again. It has implications.... The Moon cruise was also a cancellation and on that, I have a low cash value. If they try to say that value will be the only factor for a FCC, then the 3 live bookings will all be cancelled and it'll be cheerio SS. At the time my Wind cruise was cancelled, its value was higher than the new booking and a gamble for the 4 years that SS will have these funds for.

46 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Comment on FB yesterday from Barbara Muckermann that they are visiting Fincantieri today for an update on the state of the Moon, and maybe the Dawn.

Good and exciting memories from my visit to Ancona last October! Not sure why a visit is needed (Haven't they heard of Zoom! lol).... "Will it be ready?".... "yes" / "No". Sorted. 

image.thumb.png.380325511ff2c86236a6e76818eaa75b.png

Silver Moon to the right and R7S Splendor to the left.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

Just spotted in another post..... Has construction of the Moon continued in Genoa and not Ancona?

Marine traffic shows its travelling at 19 knots even though its still apparently still in Ancona!

Hopefully Barbara Muckermann gets to the correct shipbuilder location! lol

image.thumb.png.7a093b22531f94922f399676cceef657.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

We got  notification  from our TA this morning Brian !!   🙁  But Aust  wont let us out of the country anyway !

We received an email from SS today on the cancellation of our booking.  Awaiting word (should know in 15-days) on what the final FCC value will be.

On another thread, nowornever noted their TA told them that since only the October voyage was cancelled, they would be hit with a penalty of 15% if they cancel the November 8 voyage of their booking.  Seems very unfair to me.  From what I understand, our entire back-to-back booking has been cancelled, so I don't believe we have any worries on our end.  

One policy change of note... in order to receive the Venetian Society days for the cancelled voyage, we must book a new cruise before the end of August.  That's a big deal to us as those 24-days represent 20% of our total days sailed since we started cruising with SS in 2008.

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

As to above about Australia, tell us more about the details for how your country is limiting your travel, how long it might last, etc. 

Terry,  this is from the Australian Government website =   https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

"If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. "    There is a SMALL list of exemptions  and you need documented evidence to  support the application.  In addition currently QANTAS does not have ANY scheduled flights out of Australia before 30 JULY 2021 !!!

Edited by rojaan19
typo

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

One policy change of note... in order to receive the Venetian Society days for the cancelled voyage, we must book a new cruise before the end of August.  That's a big deal to us as those 24-days represent 20% of our total days sailed since we started cruising with SS in 2008.

Seriously Stumblefoot, that is taking the p***. Someone has decided it’s time to lose long term loyalists with that move!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

One policy change of note... in order to receive the Venetian Society days for the cancelled voyage, we must book a new cruise before the end of August.  

As everyone on this board is aware, the situation with the pandemic and cruise cancellations/restarts is very fluid.  Is it certain that this is a new (permanent) policy?  Or might it be that this program currently ends at the end of August, but might well be renewed just as other incentive programs (e.g., 10% Early Booking Bonus, etc) are routinely renewed.  

I am generally in a pessimistic frame of mind, but I am an optimist on this matter and have little question that cruising will resume.  It may be a number of months -- a year? -- before vaccines and effective therapeutics are available.  But I have cruises booked for the latter half of 2021, and I fully expect to be back in the arms of SS then.

42 minutes ago, Observer said:

As everyone on this board is aware, the situation with the pandemic and cruise cancellations/restarts is very fluid.  Is it certain that this is a new (permanent) policy?  Or might it be that this program currently ends at the end of August, but might well be renewed just as other incentive programs (e.g., 10% Early Booking Bonus, etc) are routinely renewed.  

I think it's pretty clear the Cruise with Confidence policy is temporary and one that was only instituted when voyages began to be cancelled in mass due to Covid-19.  The difference, I believe, is previously a passenger didn't have to book a new voyage within the promotional time frame, but could garner the VS days whenever they booked their new voyage whether it be in a week, a month, or next year.  Standard disclaimers apply here as I could very well be mistaken as we've seen before. 😉

5 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I find the issue of Venetian days less important...

I understand.  But, you are way, way ahead of the Stumbles in the acquisition of VS days.  🙂 It'll take us a lifetime to catch up with you!

• Like 1