Question about cruising in August

franski

Hi - I wonder if people can offer some thoughts on cruising in August.  I have a friend who is considering a cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest in mid-August.  I know that cruising in the summer tends to be less popular - and I was trying to offer my thoughts on why this may be.  I can't personally offer any insights, as I tend to cruise in the shoulder seasons.  

I know that summer can be quite hot in central Europe - but my friend is not deterred by this.  Also, I know that water levels can be an issue in the summer, however water levels have been an issue at other times over the past few years.  

Will most (if not all) of the "usual" tourist sites be open?  Is there anything I should make her aware of?

Thanks in advance for all thoughts/comments.

Fran

Summer is when kids of all ages are out of school.  When I was in Europe at the end of June/beginning of July, there were loads of high school and college students.  August is the month when a lot Europeans take their holidays.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from going to Europe in August as long as they're aware of what they may encounter. 

I'm not hindered by a school schedule, so I tend to cruise at times of the year that are less popular with families.

I know we are all tourists when on a cruise but the summer months especially August are even more crowded, we live 10 to 15 minute drive from Bath and unless it is very essential we never go in the summer and rarely during Christmas market time, as it’s packed out with you’ve guessed it tourists. A bit nimbyist I know. CA

We did the Rhine with Viking in early October, and aside from Heidelberg Castle, we didn't think any places we visited were crowded.  Seeing how mobbed Heidelberg Castle was in October, can't imagine what it's like in summer.

Strasbourg Cathedral was busy when our walking tour took us through in the AM (several tour groups were there), but was not crowded at all when we returned after lunch.

Unless you HAVE to go in August, I would avoid the summer months all together in Europe.....certain areas these ARE their months...The Baltic is one. If you want to go to The Military Tattoo in Scotland, you have to go in August. Other than a few reasons, go in late spring or the fall.....Usually less crowded, less expensive , and WAY cooler. Remember, if the rain don't fall, the rivers are low....and the boats don't go!!!

My wife and I did the Danube in late August 2016 and had a blast.  European countries normally take countywide holidays in August so check your dates, you may find some things closed.  Don't know what 2020 will be like because of the shutdowns, they may figure the time off has already occurred.  We left US on August 16 and stayed through Labor Day (September) did not run into any difficulties.  After dealing with crowds in US at vacation spots, the places we visited weren't so bad (Vienna, London, Paris, Nuremberg, Budapest) Pretend it is Disney on a slow day

Doverboy brings up a valid point about holidays.  I bookmarked this from notamermaid a while ago, as we found it handy, and figured we may need it again.  I copied for 2021, as I figure your friend won't be going this year.  

https://www.feiertagskalender.ch/index.php?jahr=2021&geo=0&klasse=5&hl=de&hidepast=1

It's a list of national & regional holidays, just select the country and date.