The New Normal

Host Jazzbeau

I'm with tracey7777.  Our April trip was cancelled, and we've postponed our PG cruise until December of next year. It isn't the Fiji to Bali trip that we had hoped to do, but it' definitely something we look forward to. We'll be used to wearing a mask by then, and we can't wait to go to French Polynesia again. The only thing we don't look forward to is flying through LAX. We first rebooked for January, but there's no way we can do a 72 hour negative Covid19 test when flying from Florida. We rebooked for December next year when a vaccine is almost a certainty.

I'll be setting up a  kiosk at LAX selling "official" Covid free certifications (tests optional) We will also have some "exempt from face coverings" certificates, I'll be next to the guy selling global SIM cards. We will be sponsoring Zoom cruises for those left behind.  

So on a serious note...  What happens if you fail the ship re-boarding temperature check. Are you left at the dock to fend for your self?   What about the 20 other people that were on the tour bus with you? Do they have to self quarantine for the remainder of the cruise?  Acceptable risk and common sense aren't included in the guideline.

No one is obligated to cruise and we might take a financial hit on cancellations but at some point you have to decide if cruising is really worth it. 

On 7/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, azdrydock said:

I'll be setting up a  kiosk at LAX selling "official" Covid free certifications (tests optional) We will also have some "exempt from face coverings" certificates, I'll be next to the guy selling global SIM cards. We will be sponsoring Zoom cruises for those left behind.  

So on a serious note...  What happens if you fail the ship re-boarding temperature check. Are you left at the dock to fend for your self?   What about the 20 other people that were on the tour bus with you? Do they have to self quarantine for the remainder of the cruise?  Acceptable risk and common sense aren't included in the guideline.

No one is obligated to cruise and we might take a financial hit on cancellations but at some point you have to decide if cruising is really worth it. 

If I see your kiosk at the airport, I'll be reporting you to security. And hopefully you'll spend some time in a federal prison. Your post isn't a funny joke, and a judge would be unlikely to find it funny either.

Why do you think we rebooked our cruise to December next year after initially being rebooked from April of this year to January of next year.

Because, yes, if you fail your temperature check, then you may be left at the dock, or you may be allowed onboard isolated in your cabin, under the watchful eye of the onboard doctor. Might the others on your bus be told to do the same? Maybe, depending on how sick you really are. When a woman vomited for 10 minutes on our bus trip from the airport to the ship on our first PG cruise, she was allowed onboard, despite lying about being sick, but was isolated in her room for 24 hours after a number of us reported her.

We still think cruising is worth it. If you don't, then give up cruising. Especially with the opinions you've expressed here, it seems like the best thing for you.

We flew from Fort Lauderdale to Dubai to Singapore at the beginning of December last year. We then cruised on Regent for 32 nights, from Singapore to Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia, and then back to Singapore. After stopping again in Singapore, we then continued to Indonesia , and on to Australia. After a stay in Sydney, we flew back through Dubai to FLL, returning home in mid January.

We were temperature checked many times, starting with the airport in Singapore, that doesn't trust Dubai to have rid themselves of MERS.  As we left the ship in Vietnam, and again in Malaysia, there were government agents onboard to check our temperature and ask us questions before we were allowed ashore for excursions. On our return to Singapore, we were checked before we left the ship for an excursion, and everyone boarding (while we reboarded) was questioned about health, and had temperatures checked.

So I'm not worried about having a temperature check unless I feel sick. And if I'm sick, I shouldn't be trying to board a plane or a ship. I hope they catch those that have one, and don't let them board. While I would not like to have that happen to me, I'm prepared for it, and I can afford to quarantine somewhere if I need to. I also have trip insurance, as well as medical coverage in other countries, and evacuation insurance, which are all separate policies. I just don't want to be stuck in LA trying to get a negative Covid19 test with results reported to be within 72 hours of landing in Papeete.

5 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

If I see your kiosk at the airport, I'll be reporting you to security.............................. I just don't want to be stuck in LA trying to get a negative Covid19 test with results reported to be within 72 hours of landing in Papeete.

Sorry if you thought I was serious but when your flight from MIA to LAX is is weather diverted to SFO and you are put on a next day flight to Papeete you might be looking for my competitors booth.

Our PG  cruise scheduled for this past June was  rescheduled for early next spring and we just changed that to next July.  If we are not comfortable with cruising in January we will cancel and take some non cruise trips. We have only been cruising for 5 years and already have 20 cruises with the shortest being 6 days.  We have been to all 50 states and our previous passport, prior to cruising, had 40+  unique non business stamps. Over the past few years there were uncountable times that we said "wish we had more time... we should come back here ..... or we should visit some of the friends we made in foreign countries..."  That may be the new norm for us in 2021.

I am not giving up on cruising (three still booked in 2021) but the cancel threshold is very low. 

Edited by azdrydock
  • Like 1

Not being serious doesn't come through very well on Trip Advisor since there aren't any emojis to clarify what you've posted.

My flight from Florida to LAX will never delay our flight to Papeete. We never put ourselves in that position. That's why we rebooked to the end of next year since it gives us more options.

Before our flight to Papeete in April (our trip that they cancelled), we had booked 5 nights in Las Vegas, and driving to LAX for 2 nights. Last September, we flew from FLL to SFO, and drove north to Petaluma. We visited 2 friends we hadn't seen in many years in the San Fransisco area. We ate lunch in Sonoma, we tasted some great port wines in Petaluma, we drove a lot of beautiful coastline, went to the Winchester Mansion in San Jose with a great stay at the Valencia Hotel, went to the Monterey Aquarium, saw the Sea Lions on the beach, stayed at the Cambria Lodge and toured Hearst Castle (with a private tour of the upper rooms since we were the only people who signed up for it). It was a great trip even before we flew from LAX to PPT.

On our previous trips on the Paul Gauguin, we have seen everything we were interested in seeing in the LA area. We really enjoyed everything in the Long Beach area, where we also had lunch with an old college buddy. I enjoyed the La Brea tar pits, which I had wanted to visit since I was a kid. The Getty museum was great, but I wish they would keep the little kids in their classrooms instead of dragging them through a museum that their too young to appreciate.

We haven't decided what we'll do on our way to PPT from LAX in December of 2021. It might be too cold to do Las Vegas to LAX, but we won't be flying from Florida to LAX without a buffer to prevent us from getting to PPT before our 4 night stay on Moorea.

Edited by SWFLAOK
clarified that PG cancelled our trip

Next time you go, definitely do it. That part of the coast was beautiful, and not very crowded at all. Since we had a week's worth of dirty clothes on our last day north of the LA area we went to a local laundromat, and ate lunch at a diner nearby. while our clothes washed, and after a brief visit, dries. Unlike LA, we felt very comfortable in the San Simeon area. I'm originally from the Hudson Valley in NY, and we both spent our entire working lives there before moving to Florida.

We are scheduled on a PG cruise - charter by Wilderness Travel - in Dec 2020 to see a complete solar eclipse

WT sent out the new PG/Ponant guidelines 

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

https://en.calameo.com/read/000132423bdb3b0a1a579?authid=k4a19tLoX9rj

Both are worth a read if you are on a PG/Ponant cruise in next 18 months or so

The requirement for two covid tests - one to enter Tahiti and then one to get on the boat - and the time line almost makes it impossible unless PG sets up a testing station in Tahiti.  Getting a reliable 72hr test in CA is getting hard to find so may be hard to get on a flight.  Given that PG does not recommend going right from a flight to the boat the 48 hr test is almost impossible in that you get on in LA one afternoon - get into PPT in the am - spend that day in tour/hotel then afternoon transfer to ship. When do you get the <48 hr in advance test done and results - on checkin at LAX?  Having a strong testing plan that is not logistically possible leads to "exclusions" and "exceptions" that add to risks not reduce them.

Temperature checks have not been shown to help identify the biggest infectious issue which is asymptomatic carriers so I not a great fan of that screening option.  Failed one in Las Vegas after a run - so a long walk from the Ferry terminal to the ship may keep us from getting on board -then what.  PG/Ponant should provide a process for those denyed boarding. Having a luxury cruise program tell you that you are yoyo (your on your own) because you are too warm but have a negative PCR. 

The ship will be a kinda no fun zone with lots of difficulties with getting seats at dining, bars, lectures due to 50% occupancy requirements - perhaps they need to reduce total occupancy to 50% of cabins to prevent this issue.  Luxury cruising is about being able to do what you want when you want - not having to pre schedule every lecture to early or late show or wonder if you will be turned away.

I realize that you have to adapt in this time of the pandemic but maybe a better plan - PG/Ponant run a PCR test on everyone when the show up - if you are at one of their hotels (a day or two early ) then you do not have to quarantine in your cabin until your results come back. Then seal the boat and no one enters the bubble - tour guides for excursion come on the boat.  No contract tours, No off the boat on your own. No interaction with the local populations - sorry - maybe they can workout contact free shopping. Then masks/social distancing would be unnecessary as the ship becomes a "team" for the duration of the cruise.  Need a clear protocol if you cannot board - where you stay - how you get home etc.  

No perfect solution but we should also be give a choice to cancel if we do not like the new rules - 

We are also scrambling as we had planned three days in Moorea for a few extra days diving at the IC so now moved to the Manava Resort as they have a dive center.  One interesting thing to note is that on the PG FAQ page it states that the scube dives will not be bookable on line but only on the boat on a first come first serve basis. While dives tended to sell out on the first day the excusions are offered on line now there will be a "fight" to get to the dive table on embarcation day.

On 7/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Next time you go, definitely do it. That part of the coast was beautiful, and not very crowded at all. Since we had a week's worth of dirty clothes on our last day north of the LA area we went to a local laundromat, and ate lunch at a diner nearby. while our clothes washed, and after a brief visit, dries. Unlike LA, we felt very comfortable in the San Simeon area. I'm originally from the Hudson Valley in NY, and we both spent our entire working lives there before moving to Florida.

Some of us are blessed to live on the beautiful Central Coast of California 🙂

Santa Barbara is OK but has gotten to crowded .... the true beauty is north of Santa Barbara 😉

• 6 months later...