South America and Antarctica cruise tips

shel003

I plan on booking a South America and Antarctica cruise with Princess for January 2022. Based on a thread on the Princess boards this may be the last year they are allowed to sail that far south. I hear the cruise is an amazing experience.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this or a similar cruise and whether you have any tips for me? South America is notoriously not very accessibility friendly, so wondering if there was anything you did that you loved or would skip in the future? Any tour companies you would recommend? How bad was the Drake passage?

I use a wheelchair but can walk short distances with a cane. I can also transfer to a regular car or van. The ship I will be on is the Sapphire Princess. Ports of call are:

Santiago Chile

Punta Arenas Chile

Ushuaia Argentina

Falkland Islands (Stanley)

Montevideo Uruguay 

Buenos Aires Argentina

there will also be scenic cruising around Cape Horn and Antarctica.

Thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations you have!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not in a wheelchair, but I am disabled and walk with a cane.  I have not done the Antarctica part of the trip, but I have done a South American cruise and spent 2 months in South America last winter.  

Santiago Chile

- I am not sure if you are spending time in the capital itself or just going to Valparaiso.  

- I do like Santiago, but I admit that there are not many "touristy things to do".  I enjoy the Central Market, the street art, the main square is pretty, the Presidential Palace.  There are a few "hill viewpoints" but when reading about the access it seems likes a lot of stairs. If you are there in the evening, my favorite place for dinner is in the Barrio Bellavista- there are lots of little restaurants and one food hall where you can choose your food while listening to live music or local performances.  

- Do not miss the wine country between Valpo and Santiago.  These are Napa quality looking vineyards and with tasty Pinot and Cabs.  Most are wheelchair accessible. 

-Valparaiso is a difficult town for the disabled.  Tons of hills.  When I was there last winter, most of the funiculars were not functioning.  I wondered later if they opened only on high tourist days.  So, that means very steep streets, lots of steps and lots of unusual buildings that are not accessible.  It is a gorgeous town so my advice would be to get a guided tour of the area and consider staying in the flatter Vina del Mar.  I love Valpo but my last trip there left me frustrated because wandering was so difficult.  

Punta Arenas Chile

It's been a few years, but my memory is that the town itself is pretty flat.  I hired a local taxi to take me to the penguin area and from my memory it seems that this area was mostly boardwalked, pretty easy loop and the penguins were very close.

Ushuaia Argentina.  I did a private taxi tour here to get out to the country side.  the town itself is cute but overly touristy, so not much to see.  enjoy some crab dishes.  I liked the restaurant "Volver".

Montevideo Uruguay.  Lovely town to stroll straight from the port.  The sidewalks aren't so bad in this town, so just head out onto the main road - Ave 18 de Julio and enjoy the architecture of this town.  Between the port and this boulevard are little artsy shops and cafes.  The Mercado is the touristy place to stop and have some grilled meats.  

One popular day tour is to Colonia, which is a nice and pretty town but I must say it would be much more difficult in wheelchair- giant cobblestones!

Wineries are also very nice in this area.  

Buenos Aires Argentina.  Love this town, so much to see and do. I spent 2 weeks here last winter. One complaint is that their sidewalks are horrible, and their drivers not so kind- so strolling is not so pleasant.  Of the things to do, The Caminito area is very touristy now, but the colorful buildings and shops, interesting characters and pedestrian streets would make it a must see.  Recolata Cemetery is another must, and from my memory it might be wheelchair friendly.  Unfortunately the upkeep in the cemetery is  not great, so there are broken paths ,but you can still get around.  I haven't done a recent tour of the "Casa Rosada" president house, but when I last did it was not handicap friendly.  

The Art museums are accessible, and pretty good- just depends on if they are open and if doing any renovations.  

If you are staying overnight, the Recoleta is a nice upscale area to stay, Puerto Madero area has some nice upscale restaurants otherwise, I like the artsy/ cafe areas of Palermo.  I've stayed in this neighborhood each time, I like the smaller streets and foodie places.  (but the sidewalks are still crap).  

You didn't mention Puerto Montt, but since I did spend a lot of time here, I would recommend heading to Puerto Varas for the day- a smaller town and lovely volcano views.  Puerto Montt itself is too trafficy and big town to enjoy strolling. 

I hope that was helpful.  Overall, I find South America less handicap friendly/ ready but people are very nice and helpful.  Private tours/ hiring a taxi for the day is great-  taxi only if you speak Spanish though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Santiago: First thing's first: figure out where the ship is docking.

If it's Valpo, yeah, it's scruffy in parts for a wheelchair, but the next town over, Viña del Mar, isn't too bad. There's a lovely boardwalk. Neruda's house (four tiny storeys) is likely a no-go, but there are other things to see. The main funicular is doable in a wheelchair --I've done it.

If it's San Antonio, there's nothing there. Industrial armpit of the region. You will want to arrange transport to Valpo/Viña or into Santiago. (unless you're flying into Santiago--if so, stay in Lastarria: upscale, flat, scenic part of downtown).

If you are looking for a guide, Perro Tours (yeah funny name--Perro is also Chilean slang for 'friend') is amazing. You can find my whole review on Trip Advisor (dated Jan '18) but I would stress that Juan Victor was always thinking three steps ahead about how to maximise the tour for a wheelchair user. The Matetic winery is pretty accessible, the A&M winery less so...so he had them bring it all outside.

If you're staying in Valpo, stay at the boutique hotel '17'. A bit of a challenge to get in the front door (one sloped step) but the room is the most ergonomically friendly accessible room I've seen. The breakfast is downstairs so they will happily bring up multiple trays of one of the best hotel breakfasts (included) the world has ever known. Striking view off balcony.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I booked the cruise for January 2022 on the diamond princess.  With the pandemic I’m sure we may still have to take ship excursions then so I have been working with the accessibility office to find out what my options are.  I have some limited mobility... I can stand and take a couple of steps with my cane.  Lift equipped vehicles are scarce in South America, but since I can transfer from my wheelchair to a regular vehicle, that gives me more options.  I recommend checking with either the accessibility office or shore excursion office (depends on the cruise line) to see what your options may be.  So far I have been able to find an accessible option that I can do for all of my ports except Punta Arenas.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, shel003 said:

I booked the cruise for January 2022 on the diamond princess.  With the pandemic I’m sure we may still have to take ship excursions then so I have been working with the accessibility office to find out what my options are.  I have some limited mobility... I can stand and take a couple of steps with my cane.  Lift equipped vehicles are scarce in South America, but since I can transfer from my wheelchair to a regular vehicle, that gives me more options.  I recommend checking with either the accessibility office or shore excursion office (depends on the cruise line) to see what your options may be.  So far I have been able to find an accessible option that I can do for all of my ports except Punta Arenas.  

Thank you!  I will start making these connections for my mom, she is also able to walk short distances and transfer and see what the accessibility options are for the shore excursions.

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, bitob said:

Late reply

But anyone who is disabled should consider doing an Antarctica cruise with Seabourn.  They get people in wheelchairs into the Zodiacs.  IT IS THEIR CULTURE.  No limitations.

Is this from personal experience??  I read on their site that they will make an effort to do this but no guarantees 

Yes.  Personal experience.  

Watch their videos on their website.  You will see them taking a person in a wheelchair in a zodiac.  It is what they do.  They believe Antarctica should be accessible to all.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, bitob said:

Watch their videos on their website.  You will see them taking a person in a wheelchair in a zodiac.  It is what they do.  They believe Antarctica should be accessible to all.

Good to know.  I thought an Antarctica cruise would be impossible.  Maybe something to put back on the bucket list after all.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, bitob said:

This is fantastic to know. Do you have a link to the videos, I could not find them. 

3 hours ago, JSR said:

This is fantastic to know. Do you have a link to the videos, I could not find them. 

I posted this in 2021. I think videos have changed. But seabourn does take wheelchairs in the zodiacs. I recently posted photo on disabled forum

OK, I saw the photo. We were booked with them for the Arctic but they cancelled for the second time in 2 years this year so we are now on Silversea which does not seem to put wheelchairs in the zodiacs. Of course that information is from the land based office which I have found to not be 100% accurate in the past. I will post after the cruise what actually transpired.