*Poof* October sailings now gone

1 hour ago, liptastic said:

Hi Swansong,

Yes have to say we are very disappointed to say the least. Our TA has been phoning weekly to Regent who say it’s been processed just waiting to be transferred to TA. We are over the 110 days now. I know it’s not our TA stalling as they have already dealt with other separate flight refunds, not connected to the cruise.

We were booked for a Splendour cruise in November which we knew would not be sailing , and we have transferred that to a Mariner cruise next September.

I will certainly post when we get the refund. Hope yours is processed in a more timely manner than ours.  Best,  Jean.

Regent can provide your TA with a Processing Number if they really did it....

10 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Okay, totally off topic--but after last two posts wondering if anyone else remembers who Freddie and Flossie were (from an earlier era).  

Well, it is a long time since I met Freddie on a Regent cruise (far too long) .................... but I do remember many other guests at the CC Meet & Greet remarking how similar we looked to our literary namesakes 🤣 😹

1178099052_BobbseyTwins.jpg.a5c06d75ed52f7e42594d3155a306054.jpg

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

And now back to cruising!

I wish we could!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Even here in Canada compliance is not perfect.  Guy refused to put on a mask, assaulted a store clerk, was followed up at home with police, and they killed they guy.  Gheesh, not that common here, but it happens.

12 hours ago, freddie said:

The Ontario cops are killing people who refuse to wear masks?! 

That isn't the whole story. The police went to his home as Wendy said. There was an 'interaction'  between the man and 2 police officers and shots were fired. The man had a pistol and a semi-automatic rifle. He was 72 years old.  Thankfully it doesn't happen that often. 

46 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

That isn't the whole story. The police went to his home as Wendy said. There was an 'interaction'  between the man and 2 police officers and shots were fired. The man had a pistol and a semi-automatic rifle. He was 72 years old.  Thankfully it doesn't happen that often. 

I wonder if he tested positive to COVID-19; if so, did Ontario count him as COVID related death? /sarc/

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Well, it is a long time since I met Freddie on a Regent cruise (far too long) .................... but I do remember many other guests at the CC Meet & Greet remarking how similar we looked to our literary namesakes 🤣 😹

1178099052_BobbseyTwins.jpg.a5c06d75ed52f7e42594d3155a306054.jpg

Your names brought back fond memories of time spend reading so many of those books, though I missed the one about their Regent travel. :classic_smile:

Sorry to take this thread off topic.  Well, not that sorry to relive something pleasant from earlier days! Better than the constant stream of bad news about the spread of Covid and people who refuse to undertake simple procedures (i.e., wear a mask) that could help slow or stop the spread of the disease--and get us back to sailing again sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Even here in Canada compliance is not perfect.  Guy refused to put on a mask, assaulted a store clerk, was followed up at home with police, and they killed they guy.  Gheesh, not that common here, but it happens.

Dear me, sounds a bit extreme. Oh well, I guess that guy will not be contracting the virus and transmitting it to anyone. 

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

I wonder if he tested positive to COVID-19; if so, did Ontario count him as COVID related death? /sarc/

Why not? Florida recently counted a guy killed in a motorcycle accident as a Covid death ( this is not a joke). Many fun and games being played with the stats , positive cases as well as deaths. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, freddie said:

Wow, Wendy!!  The Ontario cops are killing people who refuse to wear masks?!   Sounds a bit draconian; but if it works with some of those covidiots who eschew masks, that might be the way to go, especially in Wal-Marts.   😜

Ha ha, Fred.  All </sarcasm> aside, 1982CruzStart got it right. No word on the details of what happened, or who the guy was.  There have been a number of cop shootings lately here, of indigenous citizens--I'm hoping that this is not another such case.

And I do not believe that anyone here in Ontario is mis-reporting or misdiagnosing deaths as Covid.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

any new speculation on when Regent will cancel October (and beyond) cruises?  Waiting now until the "Return with Regent" promotion ends?

One might think that.  OTOH, the current "Return with Regent" promotion is unlikely to be the final special incentive that they offer.  The uncertainty about future cruises is not going away any time soon.

They went to waitlist on 7/8, and I think usually they have proceeded to cancellation sooner than this.  Maybe they were waiting on the news from the CDC, and now that they have not extended the no sail order into October they are rethinking at least the timing of when they will cancel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

And I do not believe that anyone here in Ontario is mis-reporting or misdiagnosing deaths as Covid.

Saw this regarding an Ontario death:

Province reports first death in person under 20

The province is also reporting 10 new deaths, up from the three confirmed in yesterday’s epidemiological summary.

For the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, the province is reporting one death in a person under the age of 20.  The province says the patient was a female from the Toronto area who tested positive for the virus on June 20.

They say her infection had no epidemiological link to any other cases.

Toronto Public Health says the patient was a girl under the age of 10.

They say she died of health complications unrelated to COVID-19 but did test positive for the virus before her death.

6 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What does that have to do with what I said?  There was no misdiagnosis there, or mis-reporting.

Listed as COVID death when COVID was not the cause of death.  Happening in multiple places; even in Canada.

Marc

If the 10 year old who tested positive died of something else and was reported as a covid death, that is mis-reporting.  With all the discussion of starting school in the fall, the number of youth deaths is of concern.  Because there are so few of them, if any are mis-reported it really skews the numbers significantly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SusieQft said:

They went to waitlist on 7/8, and I think usually they have proceeded to cancellation sooner than this.  Maybe they were waiting on the news from the CDC, and now that they have not extended the no sail order into October they are rethinking at least the timing of when they will cancel.

That is what I remember as well, Susie--Regent moving to cancellation after waitlisting much sooner.  The last round of cancellations occurred on 16 June, so I thought we might hear something on 16 July once the Oct and Nov sailings all went to waitlist eight days earlier.   Then I thought it might be pegged to the CDC making a decision on the "no-sail" order.  (At this point, it seems questionable whether the cruise lines can establish the new protocols needed and have them approved by the CDC, much less make the physical changes to ships by 30 September.)  Now, maybe the end of "Return with Regent" promo.  But, yes, it is all speculation. 

There was a study done some years ago I recall that looked at passenger frustration with airlines and flight delays.  The biggest source of anxiety:  lack of communication and transparency.  Tell us there is a problem and we can cope.  Leave us in the dark and eventually we become angry, taking the silence as a lack of respect.

Yes, there are many more important things to be worried about right now.  Regent holding my final payments for two cruises in 2020 that will almost certainly not sail but not making that call just adds to my stress.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, loriva said:

That is what I remember as well, Susie--Regent moving to cancellation after waitlisting much sooner.  The last round of cancellations occurred on 16 June, so I thought we might hear something on 16 July once the Oct and Nov sailings all went to waitlist eight days earlier.   Then I thought it might be pegged to the CDC making a decision on the "no-sail" order.  (At this point, it seems questionable whether the cruise lines can establish the new protocols needed and have them approved by the CDC, much less make the physical changes to ships by 30 September.)  Now, maybe the end of "Return with Regent" promo.  But, yes, it is all speculation. 

There was a study done some years ago I recall that looked at passenger frustration with airlines and flight delays.  The biggest source of anxiety:  lack of communication and transparency.  Tell us there is a problem and we can cope.  Leave us in the dark and eventually we become angry, taking the silence as a lack of respect.

Yes, there are many more important things to be worried about right now.  Regent holding my final payments for two cruises in 2020 that will almost certainly not sail but not making that call just adds to my stress.

I agree so much about anxiety caused by lack of communication and transparency.  In this case, however, what can Regent say when they do not know when cruising will resume.  A Press Release was put out when NCLH partnered with RCG (Royal Caribbean Group) to put together a plan to submit to the CDC.  This is how Regent typically shares information (as well as on their website).  It does not seem as if they care about posting on social media.  In any case, none of the cruise lines know when cruises will resume.

The waitlisted cruises are puzzling.  There will be a point where cruises will be waitlisted for capacity control.  It would be nice to know which are going to be canceled and which which are hoping to sail.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As many have said previously during this crisis, Regent would do well to try to improve its communication & transparency.

As an example of the confused messages, below is a screenshot from the Regent(UK) website this morning:

646167586_Regentoffers_20_07_20.thumb.jpg.7156582d6bbb5f6744a95fb5be1ef276.jpg

19 cruises on offer, from October 2020 to early March 2021.

When you click on any of the October cruises on offer they are all "waitlisted" ............. so why are they still listed as a "special offer"?

Bizarre 🤔

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I understand why they are continuing to accept bookings - to keep money flowing in, but I feel that Regent would enhance their reputation by saying something along the lines of:

"We are not taking further bookings until we know when our ships can sail again, and to which destinations."

• Like 6

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

As many have said previously during this crisis, Regent would do well to try to improve its communication & transparency.

19 cruises on offer, from October 2020 to early March 2021.

When you click on any of the October cruises on offer they are all "waitlisted" ............. so why are they still listed as a "special offer"?

Bizarre 🤔

I realize that these are difficult times for the cruise industry and that there are so many variables and uncertainties as to when cruising will return. They are also fighting for their financial lives and every month that gets cancelled is just another nail in the proverbial coffin. IMHO, they have always been slow to update their website information. I suspect that they are taking the quickest way to waitlist cruises that they believe are in jeopardy of sailing and not dotting all their i’s and crossing all their T’s to make sure all the website info is aligned.

17 minutes ago, minotaur said:

I understand why they are continuing to accept bookings - to keep money flowing in, but I feel that Regent would enhance their reputation by saying something along the lines of:

"We are not taking further bookings until we know when our ships can sail again, and to which destinations."

I agree 100% This practice is unethical. People might tend to be more supportive and eager to reserve if they felt that their trust was not being violated. This discussion is about how RSSC is handling things and has nothing to do with how Crystal, Silversea or anybody else is dealing with these issues. For them to continue to hide the obvious is not even fair to the few cheerleaders who are left.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, minotaur said:

And extend the final payment deadline to closer to sailing date when they will have more confidence of when and where.  Keeping with the 150-day date--when other cruise lines have moved to 90- or even 60-day deadlines--seems disingenuous.  There are a lot of unknowns, so moving the date would give everyone more time to see what might transpire.  (We've paid Regent in full for two cruises in 2020 that are unlikely to sail, so Regent making this change does not apply to me personally--looking for some rationality for others.) 

Edited by loriva
Misspelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, loriva said:

And extend the final payment deadline to closer to sailing date when they will have more confidence of when and where.  Keeping with the 150-day date--when other cruise lines have moved to 90- or even 60-day deadlines--seems disingenuous.  There are a lot of unknowns, so moving the date would give everyone more time to see what might transpire.  (We've paid Regent in full for two cruises in 2020 that are unlikely to sail, so Regent making this change does not apply to me personally--looking for some rationality for others.) 

Agree. Regent did change the deadline to 60 days for our July 28 cruise and cancelled the cruise before that deadline. We have a final payment due this week for a Dec. 22 trip, wishing for the same sensible deadline change again. Do not think it will happen. 

• Like 2

I don't understand why, but our final payment for the October 12 Mariner LA to LA cruise wasn't due until last week; 90 days from sailing date (yes I know the chances are somewhere between slim and none). It wasn't changed to 90 days, it was always that date. If anyone knows why, please inform me. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

I don't understand why, but our final payment for the October 12 Mariner LA to LA cruise wasn't due until last week; 90 days from sailing date (yes I know the chances are somewhere between slim and none). It wasn't changed to 90 days, it was always that date. If anyone knows why, please inform me. Thanks.

Since your final payment date was always at the 90 day mark, I assume you booked the cruise before Regent increased the final payment date on cruises less than 15 nights from 90 to 120 days. Increasing your final payment date would, IMHO,  be a material change in the terms of your contract which Regent would avoid if possible.

Dave