If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It

2 part question:

1.  As per topic, will RCL make the C19 vaccine mandatory, and

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

2 part question:

2.  There are many that do not believe in vaccines.  I for one if it's effective, would welcome it.  What would you do?

Probably to early to tell. 

I am inclined to, but not 100%

If it's effective is the 64 billion dollar question

• Like 1

Since this thread is entirely speculation this is my thought.

If there is a vaccine I see them wanting proof of it. If at least to quicken boarding time frames for less screening of others, compared to those who have not had it. That is if they accept those without it. 

Some Caribbean Islands are already wanting Covid testing uploaded in advance of airport arrival. The same islands can/will retest when you land.  I think cruise lines will want/need the same for the islands as well as for their protection. 

As for those not getting it, they just might not be allowed. All depends on what the lines set as their standard.  That standard can/could also change over time as Covid fades, herd immunity or mass vaccinations. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

1. I think most of the cruise lines will watch how Hrutigruten and Paul Gauguin open their sailings. I feel the French Polynesia/Paul Gauguin model is an excellent example of what may be required.

You must have a written negative test 72 hours prior to flight, once arrival at Tahiti airport you have another test. Random testing throughout the trip & temperature testing daily... if at any time you test positive, you are immediately taken off the ship and quarantined at your expense. I feel that if (very VERY big "if") a vaccine is approved and available, I can see that easily being adopted as a necessity to travel. Just this past February, I had to have 2 specific shots for travel to Brazil (yellow fever specifically) as a couple of the ports they were supposedly going to check and deny tourists (never did). I could also see various countries adopt a policy whereby you don't set foot inside an international airport unless you are vaccinated. I also can imagine that personal travel insurance could look very highly on vaccinations (ie. no vaccination, no insurance)

2. Would I welcome it regardless if I believed in vaccination or not? HELL YES!!! If it gives me travel insurance & the ability to set foot inside an airport to go somewhere, sign me up! 😀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nelblu said:

2 part question:

I don't see how they can require it. Do they ask for proof of TB, Polio, Flu, and other vaccines prior to cruising? No.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, nelblu said:

2 part question:

1. I believe they will make it mandatory, at least for a while.

2.  I would definitely get the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I don't see how they can require it. Do they ask for proof of TB, Polio, Flu, and other vaccines prior to cruising? No.

I suspect you don't travel much internationally then (see my post above yours regarding yellow fever).

This link is a few years old but you get the idea.... scroll down a few pages to view the various countries

https://www.who.int/ith/2016-ith-county-list.pdf

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not a chance in the world that any line will require proof of vaccination.  Just think about how much money the lines are losing every day that they sit idle.  Once the green light is given ships will be taking passengers as fast as they can by doing the bear minimum as far as safety is concerned.  If the CDC or some other governing agency mandates that every one needs a vaccine then so be it the lines will adhere.  If not oh well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, nelblu said:

2 part question:

Under normal conditions a cruise line could not make it a requirement.However,we are not living under normal conditions and may never.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I suspect you don't travel much internationally then (see my post above yours regarding yellow fever).

This link is a few years old but you get the idea.... scroll down a few pages to view the various countries

https://www.who.int/ith/2016-ith-county-list.pdf

Depends on whether you consider travelling to 40 countries and 30 cruises "not much international travel". 🤣

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Haha 1

If they make it mandatory, then yes I will get it.  My biggest concern is what the ships will do if there is a similar outbreak despite the availability of a vaccine.  My biggest angst is being quarantined out at sea like the cruisers and crew of the Diamond and Grand Princess.  I love cruising but I’m not interested in an extended vacation.  

4 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

Not a chance in the world that any line will require proof of vaccination.  Just think about how much money the lines are losing every day that they sit idle.  Once the green light is given ships will be taking passengers as fast as they can by doing the bear minimum as far as safety is concerned.  If the CDC or some other governing agency mandates that every one needs a vaccine then so be it the lines will adhere.  If not oh well.  

Think about how much more they'll lose when a ship becomes infected and they have to shut it down again. Requiring a vaccine would help alleviate any concerns over that possibility. While some people may chose not to cruise over having a vaccine, I suspect they'll still have plenty of people onboard spending money. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1. Not mandatory but I think with it you could streamline boarding as in no other testing required.  I also think it would get the ships fuller sooner as consumers would feel safer with it mandatory.   I would much rather a shot than a mask. 

2. absolutely will I get the shot (asthma) . My daughter said she would volunteer for the trial if that would mean I could get the shot earlier. I don't want her to do that. I want it proven first

I don't think the cruise lines will make it mandatory. They are in the business of making money and not alienating customers. However, I believe that other countries will make it mandatory, especially for US residents. There is a precedent for this with the yellow fever vaccine. For example if you travel to Kenya and then want to go to Tanzania, you must present proof that you have been vaccinated against yellow fever, have a doctor's note that it's unsafe for you to get the vaccination, or get vaccinated at the airport. I understand both that doctor's notes would be easy to forge and that vaccinations aren't effective immediately. However, these were the rules. I could definitely see low covid countries requiring you to have proof of vaccination if you visit from a high covid country. And I suspect the cruise lines would facilitate that requirement by making you show it when you board if you are going to one of those countries (similar to visa requirements). 

47 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

What options do they have.  With social distancing ships may need to sail half-full of one-third.

I am not an Anti-Vaxxer. However, I am not going to let the government inject me with something that has not been tested, does not give the company blanket immunity to any liability, and then require us to have it. When a vaccine is fully vetted, approved, and the company 100% liable for unknown side effects, I will not get it and no one should be required to for anything in this country. 

• Like 7

In this day in age, it will be required with exceptions only made for those with medical reasons why they can't.  They won't take a chance and it will become part of the cruise contract. Even if the cruise line doesnt, the countries will. It will be like a yellow fever vaccine  or TB test. Already. Countries are requiring covid tests to enter so they will require one until it is no longer a threat.

You sa

32 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am not an Anti-Vaxxer. However, I am not going to let the government inject me with something that has not been tested, does not give the company blanket immunity to any liability, and then require us to have it. When a vaccine is fully vetted, approved, and the company 100% liable for unknown side effects, I will not get it and no one should be required to for anything in this country. 

You said this country.  Other countries don't care about your "rights" as a U.S. citizen.  The precedent is set that they can require you to get a vaccine to utilize services.  The measles outbreak a few years ago made it mandatory to have the MMR in California for children to attend school.  While not "required" most kids attend school,  so it effectly gave the herd immunity it was looking for. To be "approved" it has to be effective and given out as an approved cure by the FDA across several research trials, otherwise you would be getting a trial. If it comes available, it should pass the research required.

• Like 3

After my two older sisters suffered from polio my parents signed for me to be in a test group for the Salk vaccine. I did nit get Polio..  

I recently signed up for the Covid-19 test trials. If they need a test subject in my 75+ age category I'm ready..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The vaccines are being tested. Did you honestly think they weren't?

No company will ever be 100% liable for unknown side effects for any vaccine.

Vaccines are routinely required for school attendance, so it can be done.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1