If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It

Works for me too. Sad, however, how some of our local businesses have totally disregarded the masking mandates. One store manager I talked to told me that I need to "educate myself about the virus and the science behind masking", and also that "a mandate is not a law".

The overall politicization of the virus that we've seen is disappointing, unfortunate, and counter-productive, and will very likely extend into the use of vaccines as well, which will be viewed by some as being just another encroachment on their "rights" to do as they please. So while the cruise lines (or rather CDC) will 'require it", don't expect whatever enforcement procedures might be put in place to go smoothly and not be contested. Tis' the nature of things nowadays. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Works for me too. Sad, however, how some of our local businesses have totally disregarded the masking mandates. One store manager I talked to told me that I need to "educate myself about the virus and the science behind masking", and also that "a mandate is not a law".

The overall politicization of the virus that we've seen is disappointing, unfortunate, and counter-productive, and will very likely extend into the use of vaccines as well, which will be viewed by some as being just another encroachment on their "rights" to do as they please. So while the cruise lines (or rather CDC) will 'require it", don't expect whatever enforcement procedures might be put in place to go smoothly and not be contested. Tis' the nature of things nowadays. 

It's to be expected. Nobody trusts our government. In fact, the very foundation of this country was designed with the thoughts of distrust to all forms of governments. My point is, no one, including me or you have any 'right' to make others fall in line based on government mandates. Full disclosure, I wear a mask when entering any business establishment. 

19 hours ago, time4u2go said:

1. I believe they will make it mandatory, at least for a while.

2.  I would definitely get the vaccine.

1.  WHY?   If you do not get the vaccine, YOU are at risk for the disease.  You are not a risk to other people.  As has been stated, they do not require Hep A, Hep B, Polio, Measles, etc vaccines to travel, so why COVID?

If some ports of call require it (and again, not real reason for them to do so either), then the cruise line will have to require it.

2.  Agreed

19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

I suspect you don't travel much internationally then (see my post above yours regarding yellow fever).

This link is a few years old but you get the idea.... scroll down a few pages to view the various countries

https://www.who.int/ith/2016-ith-county-list.pdf

The ONLY vaccination I have had to have proof of is Yellow Fever.  Now, I have only been to 150 different countries, so maybe I have missed a place that did.

What vaccinations have you been REQUIRED to have?  And where?

The things on the list you linked to are RECOMMENDED.

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

1.  WHY?   If you do not get the vaccine, YOU are at risk for the disease.  You are not a risk to other people. 

Because there's a lot of issues involving how to handle people that come down with the virus while onboard the ship.  This appears to be a major issue with resuming cruising.

Edited by time4u2go

I will be waving bon voyage from the pier ,  as i wont be the first in line for a vaccine .

i have never gotten a flu shot , so this one is just as un-appealing .

I can wait as i am not addicted to cruising , i prefer it over anything else , but i just wont go .

It will be a couple of years for me to step on another cruise ship ... Oasis class or nothing . 

i can book a very expensive suite with all the money i save not cruising for a while , lol .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

1.  WHY?   If you do not get the vaccine, YOU are at risk for the disease.  You are not a risk to other people. 

One can still be a risk to others, if you have not had Covid and are asymptomatic when boarding the ship.  Even if they have mandatory Covid testing prior to boarding, they just need to have a few false negative guests board the ship and along comes another perverbial Diamond Princess.

A cruiser can also pick it up in a port of call, and pass it along to others onboard or after they have disembark the ship.  Contact tracing will lead their local medical health units and CDC right back to the ship, in turn stopping cruises again.  Many land lovers see ships as the evil of all diseases and Noro is a prime example of that.

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

As has been stated, they do not require Hep A, Hep B, Polio, Measles, etc vaccines to travel, so why COVID?

Covid has crippled the cruise industry while there have been few cases on ships, compared to the vast majority on land.  With the no sail order in effect the CDC will want the most stringent rules in effect when ships eventually sail.  I can't blame the ships for wanting them either.

Side note, I have my Hep shots prior to cruising the Caribbean, measles, H1N1 vaccination, flu shots, etc... and will also the Covid one when it is available.

• Like 4

I think that individual countries will require it before cruise lines do. States and Countries are already requiring Covid tests upon entry.  The cruise lines and airlines are going to do the least that they have to do to operate. Unless it's mandated by a government agency it's going to be business as usual once it is up and running.

1. In 2011, the Supreme Court of the U.S. ruled drug makers cannot be sued for side effects from vaccines. How do you trust an industry that cannot be held responsible for their product?

2. The flu kills hundreds of thousands every year but we have not gone into this hysteria over it. I have never had a flu shot and don't plan to in the future. I am not saying that is the right decision for anyone else but I don't want to be pushed into it either.

3. Does a cruise company have the right to require a vaccine? Sure they do, but I have the right not to give them any of my money.

4. If it is not required by the cruise company but a port of call requires it, I will not get off there.I have cruised enough that I am not anxious to get off anymore. If it was not for my wife, I would probably stay on the ship more.  

5. Nor will I cruise if a mask is required. I find it difficult to breath and most of the masks I see and they way they are worn are ineffective anyway.

Edited by hloakes
Wrong information corrected.

my family and i would not get the vacination ... something that has not been tested or had years to see if any side effects....

if that means we cant cruise then so be it

never will my family or I get a vacination just to go cruising and I seriously dont believe ANY cruise line will ask that to be a mandatory condition

Edited by fandash
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No it doesn't:

You are correct and I apologize. I have corrected my post because it is just hundreds of thousands. One article estimates between 290K and 650K a year depending on the strain that year. Again, I sincerely apologize for overstating the number. Thank you.

• Like 2

Vaccines are't required for other diseases.  So, no.

Wrong. They are required for some countries. I won’t make a prediction but it would not surprise me if it were required.

Speaking of predictions weren’t you the one who predicted that the CDC no sale order would be not be extended because the Florida Governor has friends in the WH or something like that? It is best not to say no or yes about any of this including a vaccine requirement as the virus situation is still volatile.

• Like 2

We're both in like flint in getting the vaccine. Although we believe that numbers are overblown, we will still get the vaccine because we feel that not only the cruise lines will prefer you having it, the vaccine will also become some kind of a notice (or something comes up on your profile) on passport travelers.

Edited by johnjen

2 hours ago, SRF said:

If you get the disease, you are a risk to speed the disease. That’s how infectious diseases work. You are even a risk to those vaccinated, as vaccines aren’t necessarily 100% perfect.

If you come down with the disease on a cruise, the cruise line and entire industry will suffer. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Wrong. They are required for some countries. I won’t make a prediction but it would not surprise me if it were required.

Speaking of predictions weren’t you the one who predicted that the CDC no sale order would be not be extended because the Florida Governor has friends in the WH or something like that? It is best not to say no or yes about any of this including a vaccine requirement as the virus situation is still volatile.

Um...no.  The question is weather the cruise lines will require a vaccine and since they're never required one before, for much deadlier diseases, zealousness is the only reason to require one for the ccv.

I can't count the number of vaccinations I've gotten because of national entry requirements, still completely different topic.

And yes, that was my prediction.  I can't be held responsible for bureaucrats too worried about their reputation.

16 minutes ago, boatseller said:

And yes, that was my prediction.  I can't be held responsible for bureaucrats too worried about their reputation.

Meanwhile the cruise lines have to worry about their reputation.  Princess would love it had outbreaks on the The Grand and Ruby Princess not happened, as well as the lawsuits that have followed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Meanwhile the cruise lines have to worry about their reputation.  Princess would love it had outbreaks on the The Grand and Ruby Princess not happened, as well as the lawsuits that have followed. 

And they should be suing the Japanese, US and Australian bureaucrats who kept everyone confined in close proximity on the ships.

For cruising to recover they need to win back the casual cruiser.  Mandatory vaccination requirement would reassure the general public that cruising is safe.  Ships with this requirement should also be more welcome at foreign ports.  

Given the number of vaccine candidates in development will wait to see which approved version appears best suited to my personal health situation.

3 hours ago, hloakes said:

1. In 2011, the Supreme Court of the U.S. ruled drug makers cannot be sued for side effects from vaccines. How do you trust an industry that cannot be held responsible for their product?

2. The flu kills hundreds of thousands every year but we have not gone into this hysteria over it. I have never had a flu shot and don't plan to in the future. I am not saying that is the right decision for anyone else but I don't want to be pushed into it either.

3. Does a cruise company have the right to require a vaccine? Sure they do, but I have the right not to give them any of my money.

4. If it is not required by the cruise company but a port of call requires it, I will not get off there.I have cruised enough that I am not anxious to get off anymore. If it was not for my wife, I would probably stay on the ship more.  

5. Nor will I cruise if a mask is required. I find it difficult to breath and most of the masks I see and they way they are worn are ineffective anyway.

It might just be the same as visa requirements - some itineraries stop at countries that require a visa and it doesn't make any difference if you plan to stay on board or not - if you don't have a visa  you can't board the ship.

Sure you have the right to not cruise if you don't want to get a vaccine shot - perfect solution to me.

• Like 1

Sure you have the right to not cruise if you don't want to get a vaccine shot - perfect solution to me.

I could live with that solution too. Obviously I won’t have one that isn’t safe but I do all the vaccines. I have a flu shot every year, I had the hepatitis vaccine and I have had the new two dose Shingles vaccine. Getting vaccinated is normal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it is about the timing. If cruising starts before a vaccine and their “safety” rules are working and no cases or quarantined ships, they probably will just keep going until this passes.  If they can’t figure out how to start without a vaccine or if they start and there are problems (quarantines), they will probably require a vaccine.  They will have no choice if they want to survive.

As far as vaccines, we would take it.  Most vaccines / drugs that fail after starting phase 3 ,fail due to economics (not profitable), does not work or too many side effects.  The normal test pool is much smaller than the planned Covid Vaccines and the side effects are usually found in the first few months, not years later.  If their are side effects, they may not have been found until after drug/vaccine approval anyway  - think Zantac and many other drugs that were approved and later found to be an issue and pulled from the market.  So the rush to market really does make it any safer or dangerous than waiting 4 years.  

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I could live with that solution too. Obviously I won’t have one that isn’t safe but I do all the vaccines. I have a flu shot every year, I had the hepatitis vaccine and I have had the new two dose Shingles vaccine. Getting vaccinated is normal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All responsible adults should follow your example. We have had the same shots, too. If more people were responsible, there would be less illnesses. 

Stay Safe!