If There's an Effective C19 vaccine, will Cruise Lines Require It

On 7/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, mek said:

Oh for heavens sake - nobody is saying that the tax payer isn't going to pay for it, I simply stated that when people go to get the shot they won't have to hand over cash or a credit card to pay for it and based on your attitude, I couldn't care less if you are unhappy about it.

And therein lies the problem. No one ever cares who's paying for something as long as it not them. Go figure.

Aren't there enough leeches in the world already??

Edited by Computer Nerd

1 minute ago, Dennis#1 said:

Everyone is entitles to their own opinion.  I will wait for the Covid-19 vaccine before I restart cruising or get on an airplane.

"These are tricky viruses," he said. "It's not as simple as measles or mumps. It's going to be a lot more complicated"

"Pinning all our hopes on a vaccine that works immediately is not the right strategy,"

Dr. William Haseltine, a former professor at Harvard University's medical and public health schools

Sadly some countries and business have a unified strategy, others well what can you say.....

On 7/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, time4u2go said:

Because there's a lot of issues involving how to handle people that come down with the virus while onboard the ship.  This appears to be a major issue with resuming cruising.

Once there is a vaccine this will be just like any other situation of someone getting sick.

It could be possible that with a case, anyone without having had the vaccine would have to be quarantined also.

But again, that is a problem for THAT person.

On 7/21/2020 at 6:25 PM, OnTheJourney said:

At the rate the US is going, no country will want our citizens on any ships...can't blame them. 

Have you seen the latest rates from some EU countries?

36 minutes ago, SRF said:

Have you seen the latest rates from some EU countries?

Those numbers don’t effect cruises from NA though.   @Germancruiseris boarding a ship in Germany any day, if not today.

Edit: one ship has been delayed from a crew member getting Covid.  He appears to still be sailing in a few days. Fingers crossed for him 

Edited by A&L_Ont

SRF: Here is a representative sampling of Europe from this site. If you can't make out too much detail, at least you get the general idea from the shape of the graphs which started back in March. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

US is the last one. Picture is worth a thousand words as they say....

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.50.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.50.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.50.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.51.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.51.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 11.58.58 AM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 hours ago, pcur said:

My motto is "In masks, vaccines, and Dr. Fauci we trust".

Masks, yes. Vaccines, maybe.   Dr. Fauci has been wrong as much as he's been right and lately has a tendency to shift opines based on audience.

Studies are showing that "herd immunity" is elusive for this virus. So masks are needed, even if they only reduce the spread by 50%.  Antibodies don't last long for it.  Vaccines aren't 100% effective, especially early vaccines.  And they last less than a year.  If you contact CV19, there are treatments that may lessen it's severity.  But that, unfortunately, is the state of the science at this point in time.  🤧

14 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Those numbers don’t effect cruises from NA though.   @Germancruiseris boarding a ship in Germany any day, if not today.

Sure....here's Germany's graph....I'd probably consider getting on a ship there too. I'm not saying there isn't a continuing problem in Europe, but the US definitely wins the prize as the worst, followed by Brazil and India. Certainly a point of comparison has to take into account the individual country populations. These charts don't do that. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.06.09 PM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 7/21/2020 at 9:48 AM, Dinglebert said:

The article doesn't support anybodies view.

"nobody wanted to get a placebo"  - Absolutely not stated anywhere.  They couldn't get people to do the trial.

"pressured by libs" - no evidence in the article of that at all.  Not mentioned.

"hydroxychlorogquine is ineffective" - the study didn't have enough evidence to state that.  Other studies have stated it.

I have seen recent reports from hospitals and doctors saying that if a person has CV19 serious enough to warrant hospitalization,  hydroxycholorquine as a part of a drug cocktail  will reduce the severity and has shortened hospital stays. Doesn't cure CV19, doesn't  prevent someone from getting it. No evidence it works on quarantined CV19ers. No evidence it boosts T-cells.  No evidence it reduces the contagiousness of asymptomatic carriers. Just another tool in the box to help seriously I'll folks.

The low number of newinfections in Germany is the reason and the only reason cruises can start out of German ports. My " Blue Voyage" start on monday. Today is the very first cruise from Germany- starting also from Hamburg - a three nighter- mine is a four nighter! ( Mo- Fr.)

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Masks, yes. Vaccines, maybe.   Dr. Fauci has been wrong as much as he's been right and lately has a tendency to shift opines based on audience.

Studies are showing that "herd immunity" is elusive for this virus. So masks are needed, even if they only reduce the spread by 50%.  Antibodies don't last long for it.  Vaccines aren't 100% effective, especially early vaccines.  And they last less than a year.  If you contact CV19, there are treatments that may lessen it's severity.  But that, unfortunately, is the state of the science at this point in time.  🤧

Ugh I think the jury is still deliberating about herd immunity and the vaccine.  

There have also

On 7/17/2020 at 10:19 AM, boatseller said:

And they should be suing the Japanese, US and Australian bureaucrats who kept everyone confined in close proximity on the ships.

You might want to look up those incidents the Australians did not keep anyone on the Ruby.  Their problems were caused by not requiring the samples to be run prior to allowing disembarkation  and not keeping them on the ship resulting in high percentage of early spread in Australia due to infected individuals leaving the ship.

On the Grand the US removed the people from the ship and moved them into difference land based quarantine locations

The Diamond was the only Princess case where they quarantined on ship.

Edited by npcl

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I have seen recent reports from hospitals and doctors saying that if a person has CV19 serious enough to warrant hospitalization,  hydroxycholorquine as a part of a drug cocktail  will reduce the severity and has shortened hospital stays. Doesn't cure CV19, doesn't  prevent someone from getting it. No evidence it works on quarantined CV19ers. No evidence it boosts T-cells.  No evidence it reduces the contagiousness of asymptomatic carriers. Just another tool in the box to help seriously I'll folks.

Latest studies, just out this week, are starting to find that while antibodies disappear from your system and cannot be detected, the body most likely remembers how to fight the virus, thus another step in the right direction towards a working vaccine.

An article came out in one of the science journals too relating the finding of negative mutations and the possible ability to use that knowledge for vaccines and therapeutics.

Everyday the scientists and researchers learn something new and yesterday's news is now old and out of date.  It is an exciting time to see the whole world working at one time to find a vaccine and therapeutics for a single disease.

Having cruisers get the vaccine might not, I'm afraid, fix the problem. I got the flu shot last year, granddaughter didn't. We both got the flu, at the same time. I was really ill but didn't have the high fever she had. It disheartens me to think the vaccine won't get us back to cruising. When US cruising resumes, if all are vaccinated and some cruisers get sick, where will we be? What would the next step be?

Just now, Etta1213 said:

Having cruisers get the vaccine might not, I'm afraid, fix the problem. I got the flu shot last year, granddaughter didn't. We both got the flu, at the same time. I was really ill but didn't have the high fever she had. It disheartens me to think the vaccine won't get us back to cruising. When US cruising resumes, if all are vaccinated and some cruisers get sick, where will we be? What would the next step be?

Covid-19 is not the flu, it is a completely different animal.  Comparing a potential covid vaccine and a flu vaccine is apples to oranges.   

Do you get polio or measles or whooping cough or tetanus or rubella or meningitis or measles or small pox after being vaccinated and keeping up with boosters?  Yes, there can be very, very rare breakout infections, but these vaccines are pretty darn effective, even wiping out small pox and polio is on the verge of being wiped out.

Crossing fingers the covid vaccine will be as successful.

26 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

The good news is that we still have only one basic form of this virus. If we can come up with a working virus, it should be enough. If. 

The problem with the flu is there are multiple strains (which is where names like H1N1come in.) And the strains we have keep mutating. When you get a flu shot, you are getting multiple vaccines covering several different strains. You are probably protected from those strains, but not from others. 

If There's an Effective C19 vaccine . . . . . 

So who decides what's "effective" ?

Vaccine tests typically take a good while for obvious reasons.

Well known epidemiologist Bill Gates says multiple doses may be needed and schools may need to be out until Fall 2021.

Fauci has been very wrong before and is now inconsistent.

There may never be a true vaccine just like there isn't for common flu.

At some stage we'll just have to live with it like with so many other threats.

P.S. Anyone know the number of regular flu cases and deaths so far this year for US?

• Like 2