If you're doing Tahiti and don't usually bring your own snorkel gear....

Petoonya

Time to start shopping. It's pretty obvious but I hadn't thought about it till a few vendors mentioned. While most vendors have snorkel equipment, because of COVID they are not recommending using theirs.

We always bring our own snorkel stuff- I like having a mask and fins that fit and are comfortable. They use up space but you can pack stuff inside.

Petoonya,

On the subject of snorkel gear: on our Tahiti cruise we met a charming couple who introduced us to a totally new (to us) style of mask. It allowed for a complete 180 degree view underwater (as opposed to the side views being kind of blocked by the sides of your mask). They said they got them at Costco, of all things. Anyway, next time I go on a snorkeling vacation I intend to look into this. Thought you and others might want to be aware, in case you're not already (I was the last one on the block to get a microwave, so I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of things --- perhaps these masks are now commonplace).

• Like 1

Thanks Avalong.

I have a weird head! Mine has to be sized at a dive shop and then I get my prescription lenses put in. It's lasted for about 5 years and it gets a lot of use. But I know the kind of masks you mean. Husband has one like it with wonderful side view. Thanks again for the tip 🙂

Deb, let's hope that when you cruise next summer COVID is something we don't worry about with snorkel equipment, and new discoveries are made that make things like snorkels not a worry. Besides can't imagine that WS won't have a thorough disinfection process. I'm OCD and have always had to have my own. Just don't like the idea of my mouth on someone else's secretions even though I do with tableware at restaurants. Just a weird head thing!

Edited by Petoonya

If Windstar doesn't provide the snorkel gear I may reconsider the cruise. I don't want to go out and buy all the gear for just one trip. It is one of the reasons I chose Windstar for Tahiti. Surely they can provide the disinfectant dunk like always. When the snorkel and mask are in salt water there is no possibility of transmission of a virus.

12 hours ago, susiesan said:

If Windstar doesn't provide the snorkel gear I may reconsider the cruise. I don't want to go out and buy all the gear for just one trip. It is one of the reasons I chose Windstar for Tahiti. Surely they can provide the disinfectant dunk like always. When the snorkel and mask are in salt water there is no possibility of transmission of a virus.

I'm sure that they will provide the appropriate disinfectant and snorkel gear if it is prudent according to the science at the time.

After seeing this thread yesterday - I emailed Windstar concerning snorkel gear.  They said they would NOT be providing snorkel gear - unless you were on a Windstar sponsored snorkel excursion that provides gear.  They also reminded me I couldn't snorkel or swim off their platform.  So - guess I'll go buy some new gear.  What I have is old - !!!!  

I know AirTahiti Nui will let a bag of snorkle gear be checked in for free - but nothing else can be in the bag.  I'm waiting to hear from my connecting flight if they will do the same.

Exact Response from Windstar:

Thank you for contacting Windstar Cruises.

At this time, we do not have snorkel equipment rental onboard. If you would like to book a diving shore excursion through Windstar, there will be snorkeling equipment provided, included in the cost of the excursion.

If you would like to go snorkeling independently, please bring your own gear. Due to safety and liability reasons, Windstar is unable to allow snorkeling and swimming off our Watersports Platform.

Thank you for your understanding. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crilski said:

Exact Response from Windstar:

If you would like to go snorkeling independently, please bring your own gear. Due to safety and liability reasons, Windstar is unable to allow snorkeling and swimming off our Watersports Platform.

I wonder if that means the watersports platform will be closed or just to snorkeling or swimming They never did encourage snorkeling off the watersports platform and swimming frowned on too as people would then swim past the safety boundaries. But what about the usual activities. I can't see them closing the watersports platforms entirely.

Just called WS and spoke to an agent who checked with his supervisor. Whew- it's open.

Watersports platform is open, but no swimming or snorkeling. No snorkel sets to be lent out.

Thought of calling United to see if they were allowing snorkel gear to be checked on their flghts previous to all this like ATN. Then thought better of it. Have a very bad record with United of lost luggage. Keeping to a minimum.

Edited by Petoonya

I can see why they wouldn't want to provide masks and snorkels, but what about fins? That doesn't seem like it would be a problem.  I usually just pack my mask and snorkel in the bottom of my suitcase and then use Windstar's fins.  The mask and snorkel take up very little room in my suitcase, honestly.  Especially on a warm weather cruise where you're primarily packing shorts, sandals, tops and bathing suits.

@ Susiesan For the life of me I have no idea why you would want to wear a " public " snorkel in this pandemic, errors are made, science knows two things for sure masks work and social distancing, on another post you did not like the rules that WS has adapted to make everyone safe. Perhaps you should not go. This pandemic requires a collective effort from everyone all ages. Perhaps not understanding this concept is one of the reasons the US is in the mess it is. I applaud WS's rules. By making it safe for all everyone has a better time. Happy Sailing

• Like 3

It would be nice if they would still check out fins for the duration of the cruise. I have a prescription mask and a snorkel to go with it. For those that don't need a prescription mask, a decent quality mask and snorkel don't cost much compared to the cost of the trip. They don't take up much room. On the other hand, fins are a pain to pack. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 7:58 PM, Strenz said:

@ Susiesan For the life of me I have no idea why you would want to wear a " public " snorkel in this pandemic, errors are made, science knows two things for sure masks work and social distancing, on another post you did not like the rules that WS has adapted to make everyone safe. Perhaps you should not go. This pandemic requires a collective effort from everyone all ages. Perhaps not understanding this concept is one of the reasons the US is in the mess it is. I applaud WS's rules. By making it safe for all everyone has a better time. Happy Sailing

Strenz, on all prior Windstar cruises they have had snorkel gear available for you to use during the duration of the cruise. You would check out a mesh bag that had fins, mask, and snorkel that you could use for the week. If you are going to a beach on your own you take your bag. Why would Windstar only supply snorkel gear if you take one of their overpriced excursions? You will be using "public" gear that was used by someone else. What is the point of opening the waterspouts platform if you can't use it? 

I am reevaluating whether or not I want to take this cruise. Many of the reasons I chose Windstar are disappearing, one of the primary ones is the water sports platform. No other cruise line has this and it is ideal for Tahiti. Maybe by January when there has been some actual experience with this cruise to report Windstar will have modified some policies. If not, I may cancel.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

What is the point of opening the waterspouts platform if you can't use it? 

Many of the reasons I chose Windstar are disappearing, one of the primary ones is the water sports platform. No other cruise line has this and it is ideal for Tahiti.

Susie, the communication regarding the watersports platform is being misunderstood.

The watersports platform is going to be open in Sept. just not for swimming and snorkeling. Climbing in and paddling around and doing all the other watersports activities are not limited and hopefully the same will be true in January. I don't know about you but I've not snorkeled or swam for the platform. Swimming as far as I've observed is always looked at a little askance because serious swimmers usually go out of bounds. I've dog-paddled around, sat on the mat, sailed, tubed etc. only.

I totally understand WS's position on snorkel sets. There is still much about COVID yet to be learned especially knowing the best disinfecting procedures for the material used. Their liability will will require them to be cautious until more is known.

You've seemed to be wavering for awhile. Likely at this point the potential negatives vs positives are weighing heavily on you as well as all the unknowns. I know that your FP is in October earlier than many of us and that you're trying to get as much of a handle on it as possible.

@new_cruiser If you're not planning any deep water snorkeling where the currents are strong, the shorty travel fins work great and take up a lot less room. Don't know when you're cruising but things could always change before you cruise too.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Many of the reasons I chose Windstar are disappearing, one of the primary ones is the water sports platform. No other cruise line has this and it is ideal for Tahiti. 

Paul Gauguin has a water sports platform (marina) also.  😎

17 hours ago, Texed said:

Paul Gauguin has a water sports platform (marina) also.  😎

Paul Gaugin is way too expensive for me. I prefer the small sailing ship for Tahiti. Plus all the negatives I am reading about regarding Ponant would have me never booking cruise with them.

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

Paul Gaugin is way too expensive for me. I prefer the small sailing ship for Tahiti. Plus all the negatives I am reading about regarding Ponant would have me never booking cruise with them.

I guess folks have different tastes.  We have been on PG five times and love it.  😊

I've done Oceania, PG and WS Tahiti and give WS a slight edge over O (mostly because of WS's exquisite Spirit), then WS and O a big edge over PG. But everyone has different tastes. Know others who prefer PG over all the rest.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

I've done Oceania, PG and WS Tahiti and give WS a slight edge over O (mostly because of WS's exquisite Spirit), then WS and O a big edge over PG. But everyone has different tastes. Know others who prefer PG over all the rest.

Well, that is one reason I am snooping around the Windstar board.  We are scouting it out.  😊

12 hours ago, avalong said:

I too have done Tahiti with both PG and Windstar and preferred Windstar. PG was good, but we liked Windstar better. For what it's worth....

It is worth a lot.  We appreciate your comments.  😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texed said:

It is worth a lot.  We appreciate your comments.  😊

Wind Spirit an athletic cruise for sure, no elevators, an active crowd by and large, not so much polynesian entertainment (PG polynesian focus approached kitchiness but many love), but it's the "sailing" of the ship that always takes my breath away. Windstars dining edges out PG's (to me). Windstar is more intimate than PG- PG feels more like a small cruise ship. I'm not a fan of show tune evening entertainment on PG. A quiet vocalist is lovely at the end of an active day. WS anchors most ports which gives a beautiful view of the islands. PG's other claim to fame is service but we found service to be inferior to WS. Lastly when those sails unfurl at the beginning of the cruise to 1492 I get all teary it's so lovely. Have 1,2,3 (!) Tahiti cruises planned on WS until 2022.