CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

On 7/18/2020 at 11:53 PM, cruiseluv said:

This disease has become totally politicized and I'm very skeptical of anything that comes out of the CDC or other entities. You have local governments , like New York City, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, etc, sanctioning, and even encouraging, huge marches and protests, but criminalizing other social gatherings, even going to church. Sorry, that's not "science". And the masks.... please...

022335CC-D4DD-4A4C-BF18-2A0A97D1BF76.jpeg

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Secondson said:

I think I am not going on anymore regent cruises, after reading all the remarks in this section ,I am convinced there are to many nutty people. If all you people will cancel I will reconsider  my decision. I only hope all the other cruisers are normal. Still love  regent but!

If you've been on Regent cruises, you know we are like the general population: some of the passengers will be more to your taste than others. Don't let this thread prevent you from cruising with Regent or any luxury line. We're nice people, really! It's just this pandemic is making us/me a bit testy these days - sorry. But also, don't expect all of us to cancel so that you reconsider your opinion to cruise with Regent. And no, I don't consider myself and other posters "nutty".

Back to the topic of the CDC extension, it sounds that as long as we have cases rising in most states, it is doubtful that there will be an approval to sail.  I believe that is why this thread has turned partially into a "mask" thread as the wearing of masks and lowering the virus rate in the U.S. go hand and hand.  It will be interesting to learn what the "new" proposal to the CDC that is being developed by NCLH and RCG will say.  From reading posted articles on this thread, it appears that the CDC will not accept "masks recommended" even though there are ships sailing now that do not require masks.  

Got2 cruise - great post!

image.png.82fa050bd1d6f53db5790e51bcf2c276.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And possibly good news on the altruism side as well - hopefully a huge percentage of the volunteers hang in there for the entire trial period for the US trials. And that any data derived here will help globally.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-least-120000-americans-are-needed-to-test-covid-19-vaccines-a-very-encouraging-107000-are-so-far-signed-up/ar-BB16XrnX

I think I have been too hasty in my conclusions about regent cruisers. After being on many regent cruises I found most people very pleasant and fun to be with. I think the world has gone crazy including me. With all the problems in America I guess venting on cruise critic is great way to escape reality.  And no doubt being on regent is a privledged  way of enjoying life. I look forward to being with all you nutty people including this nut,of course meaning me,on my next cruise in December. So let’s save all our nuttyness  and have lots of crazy fun on regent.

Edited by Secondson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The good news is that people are willing to volunteer to be on a Covid virus trial. It may be a bit of silver lining in the US as we have many opportunities for exposure and a high population with the virus. This is very good for a trial. I am on the list! No Covid injection for me...

Like all of you I have high hopes of a Regent cruise in the future along with a lot of money invested in a cruise. The unknown is nerve racking not only for this but for the loses and risks and fears of this time. I think we all feel this way and I know this plays into the disagreements seen on this board. Though I have seen super kindness, ex WC 21 roll call.

At the hospital back in April I was upset and a wee bit angry at the loss of WC, get together with friends, seeing grandboys, parents, children and the stress of very sick patients. The list goes on, anyone relate? We had a group of people around the desk at the hospital griping and the chaplain challenged us to do kind things outside self to others. Really?? I though to self, I already work on Covid unit but advice ended up great. Even husband noticed I was less stressed. So, I am going to highjack the thread for 2 sentences for every one with similar attitude that I had. Start with donating blood, platelets (or plasma if you have had Covid). Hospitals are desperate. Donated meals or trays of fruit or cookies to nursing units, ICUs and ERs really made us feel appreciated. Write  and call single friends, bring dinner and sit outside 6 feet apart, we may regret not meeting up outside when the weather turns bad. Catch up with old friends, which has been great. Notice no mask talk but I bet you can guess....Now back to no sail orders....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There will always be some disagreement on scientific topics. And nobody is claiming that the sole act of wearing a mask gives the wearer and others 100% protection. But when wearing a mask is combined with distancing and crowd avoidance (especially indoors), this reduces the chances of infection, according a majority of doctors and scientists. As there is no treatment drug and/or vaccine yet, the combination of masks, distancing, and crowd avoidance is all we have.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 12

On 7/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, Secondson said:

I think I am not going on anymore regent cruises, after reading all the remarks in this section ,I am convinced there are to many nutty people. If all you people will cancel I will reconsider  my decision. I only hope all the other cruisers are normal. Still love  regent but!

Geez, you just showed up and are already insulting people here! LOL! But it may be your lucky year, no Regent cruises to take, therefore you dont have to decide yet

I have to agree that 'nutty' was an inappropriate description of the posters on the Regent board who seem to attract argumentative replies on this forum; I would say that their style can be  very opinionated and not necessarily based on fact though stated as such.  This does naturally tend to cause those with more unbiased views to reply, in the cause of fairness.

The good news, however, is that somehow,  mysteriously, everything that is contentious will be removed from the thread fairly quickly.  This can lead  to a rather disjointed thread which is then difficult to follow, but there you are.

• Like 8

And also, we must remember that this is an opinion forum. Given the unprecedented matter of this pandemic, there are bound to be differing opinions. If you were to meet me onboard a Regent cruise (when/if that is possible) you would think that I am a really nice guy.  But it is my OPINION that Regent will keep extending its first sail date to the end of the year, and maybe beyond. And whether NCLH has the ability to hold out until a vaccine is readily available to start cruises is a real crap shoot! I expect to see Regent continuing to “wait list” cruises well into the future, and then canceling.  I don’t expect any Regent cruises to actually go this year. Should the CDC allow it, who would go?  Right now, there are three things each can do to stay healthy. Wear a mask, distance, and stay out of crowds (especially indoors). Now how are we going to do these things on a cruise ship? And how are we going to do these things  if we must fly commercial to the ports? Answer, we can’t.

• Like 2

FWIW,

Princess Cruises has canceled sailings across the globe through Dec. 15 – with one exception. "All cruises in and out of Australia will be paused until Oct. 31 and then all other sailings across all other countries are paused through Dec. 15, 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/22/princess-cruises-cancels-100-sailings-across-globe-through-dec-15/5489557002/

J

FWIW,

Princess Cruises has canceled sailings across the globe through Dec. 15 – with one exception. "All cruises in and out of Australia will be paused until Oct. 31 and then all other sailings across all other countries are paused through Dec. 15, 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/22/princess-cruises-cancels-100-sailings-across-globe-through-dec-15/5489557002/

J
But since Princess is part of the Carnival family, will other Cruise lines of Carnival Corporation also follow suit?

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

But since Princess is part of the Carnival family, will other Cruise lines of Carnival Corporation also follow suit?

Who cares? /sarc/

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, drsel said:
On 7/22/2020 at 9:08 PM, JMARINER said:
FWIW,

J

I would think so. Carnival Corp has over 100 ships and 250 berths. Lots of people going to be out of work for  lot longer.

J

I would think so. Carnival Corp has over 100 ships and 250 berths. Lots of people going to be out of work for  lot longer.
J
But if CDC is allowing sailings after 1st October.2020, why are they delaying till 15 December 2020

4 minutes ago, drsel said:
24 minutes ago, JMARINER said:
J

But if CDC is allowing sailings after 1st October.2020, why are they delaying till 15 December 2020

You are misunderstanding the Sept 30 date.  They have to put a date in the order but, it does not mean sailings will be allowed by the CDC.   The No Sail Order can be modified at any time and it has been modified at least twice so far with the date now having changed twice.  It could end earlier under certain conditions such as the Pandemic being declared over.

It does not  mean sailings will be allowed after Sept. 30 and based on all that is going on and cruise lines stopping sailings beyond Sept. 30, it is likely that .Sept 30 date will be extended.

• Like 1

IMO, it is neither likely or unlikely at this point to predict what the CDC will do.  IF the U.S. buckles down, 90% of the people wear a mask, 100% of people social distance and wash their hands, the cases of Covid could be in a downward spiral in within 6-8 weeks (this is also neither likely or unlikely).  

These predictions are interesting but I wouldn't bet even a penny as to what the outcome of the virus or when the no-sail order will be lifted.  On a daily basis, scientists and doctors say that they still do not know everything about this virus.  When they think that know something, it changes.  So, if doctors and scientists admit to now knowing everything, we know less than nothing.  

If everyone in the U.S. were educated by doctors and scientists, the scenario in the U.S. could be totally different.   Is it going to take viewing thousands of bodies in order to believe that this is real and that we (the people) need to do everything within our power to slow/stop the virus so that people stop dying, children can go to school, people can go back to work, we can travel and/or cruise if we choose to do so?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Rather than having their ships sit idle for the next year, I’m wondering if cruise lines will move their ships overseas and sail out of international ports only, away from the CDC’s supervision. That said, not sure that strategy would be beneficial in the long run if it engendered the CDC’s ire.

10 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Rather than having their ships sit idle for the next year, I’m wondering if cruise lines will move their ships overseas and sail out of international ports only, away from the CDC’s supervision. That said, not sure that strategy would be beneficial in the long run if it engendered the CDC’s ire.

Why would the CDC care as long as US ports and/or pax are not involved? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

No matter where the ship will sail there will be new rules to be followed. And in order for the ships currently in US waters to sail to foreign ports permission is required from CDC and US coast guard So movement overseas would still require approval. 

36 minutes ago, rallydave said:

No matter where the ship will sail there will be new rules to be followed. And in order for the ships currently in US waters to sail to foreign ports permission is required from CDC and US coast guard So movement overseas would still require approval. 

Aren’t two of the ships currently outside of US waters - the Mariner and Splendor? Don’t know that Regent would be considering this type of action,  but if the CDC interaction drags on and on they might.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

Aren’t two of the ships currently outside of US waters - the Mariner and Splendor? Don’t know that Regent would be considering this type of action,  but if the CDC interaction drags on and on they might.

But then he will sail on them?......... Cannot be US citizens.........Most other nationals are limited re : international movement....... And where will they get the crew from?...........

Sorry, can we get real....... The CDC is no more inactive on this than all other Western  nations, Good to see at least one US agency taking this pandemic seriously.

• Like 1