CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

You can't see the post because someone brought the discussion over from another thread (spreading the chaos?). It is on the Carnival thread. My post was to you and said:

18 hours ago,  Bellaggio Cruisers said: 

Karen and greykitty.... can either of you provide a point by point description of the information you saw today, regarding steps necessary to receive CDC approval and resume cruising.  
Thanks

sheila

Sheila - as expected, there was no information regarding steps necessary to receive CDC approval so that we can resume cruising (did not watch/listen to the Carnival thing).  Think that I’ll leave this thread to the newbies as they seem to know more than you and I do about Regent.

•  
  •  

TC

check my  full text above 

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

We enjoy two to three cruises each year. We are spoiled. We are first world folks, after a lifetime of work to get there. 
Today, We feel  “cruise deprived”. We are housebound, five months now, , with plenty of time on our hands. We are bored
There are those of us who want to remain optimistic about our futures. We are also realists about the world around us. We are getting older each day and have limited time in which to “live life”.  
I am sad because Cruise Critic is no longer a fun site about cruising. 
sheila

Dear Sheila, I fully endorse your views and echo your sentiments.
But I still believe Cruise critic can be a fun site, if you hang out with fun people like me.!

Sheila and drsel - we can still have fun!  Just stay positive and ignore the dumb stuff:classic_ninja:

drsel - just want to mention that we have sailed on Celebrity and had a really nice time.  If anyone asked me which premium cruise line to sail it would definitely be Celebrity.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

we have sailed on Celebrity and had a really nice time.  If anyone asked me which premium cruise line to sail it would definitely be Celebrity.  

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

Celebrity is my all time favourite cruise line.

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

Celebrity Constellation in an Ocean view

this is regent forum  🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, seaknots said:

this is regent forum  🤔

You are correct and I did not start a thread in order to comment to the poster.  Being polite is still permitted on CC I assume.

P.S.  However, I do like that you called me out on that.  If most people followed the rules, it would be a good thing!

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

According to the Cruise News Law it is expected to be extended to October 31.  The original No Sail notice also indicated it will remain in place until the national health emergency is in place. 

The no sail order gives a "earliest" of for date of termination:

This Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:
  • The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • September 30, 2020.

Twelve crew of TUI ship test positive....

The Maltese-flagged Mein Schiff 6 operated by German travel giant TUI, with 922 passengers on board, is currently moored off the Aegean island of Milos, a coastguard spokeswoman told AFP.

The positive results surfaced after tests on 150 among the crew's 666 crew members, she said.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-crew-post-pandemic-greek-cruise-virus.html

Upside is that they tested?  

Ok, re the below link - I don't get why every single person will not be tested if they ever do get to dock in Greece?  

https://www.startribune.com/coronavirus-outbreak-on-cruise-ship-sailing-in-greece/572561402/

Edited by greykitty

Saw in another report:

Asymptomatic

Low Viral Load

External Lab

Are 900 people going to have their holiday impacted just because of poor testing?  Or, is the virus just living in folks at such a low load for months that it doesn't show up and then, bang, even in long term quarantine they numbers get high enough to show up?

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Saw in another report:

Asymptomatic

Low Viral Load

External Lab

Are 900 people going to have their holiday impacted just because of poor testing?  Or, is the virus just living in folks at such a low load for months that it doesn't show up and then, bang, even in long term quarantine they numbers get high enough to show up?

Can you point us to this report?  I got the asymptomatic and low viral load info from the posted articles but no reference to external labs or poor testing. Where did that information come from?

3 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Can you point us to this report?  I got the asymptomatic and low viral load info from the posted articles but no reference to external labs or poor testing. Where did that information come from?

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-greece-tui-cruise-ship-crew-test-positive-1534639

The statement about "poor testing" is just my thought; the issue of false positives with certain testing procedures is, to me, real, and can be as bad as false positives (e.g., the Uncruise in Alaska this summer).

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

9 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-greece-tui-cruise-ship-crew-test-positive-1534639

The statement about "poor testing" is just my thought; the issue of false positives with certain testing procedures is, to me, real, and can be as bad as false positives (e.g., the Uncruise in Alaska this summer).

Marc

The risk of false positives is very near the top of my list of concerns when it comes to boarding a cruise ship. Based on some recent news reports it seems to me that the most appropriate response to a positive test is to run two follow up tests. 

our next booked cruise is from Copenhagen in July. If it actually appears to be happening I will be very interested to know what Regent will do if a boarding passenger tests positive at the pier. 

Ship in Polynesia reports COVID in crew

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/300118587/covid19-among-crew-halts-french-polynesia-cruise

The way I see it, it's more data points for regulators (and hopefully cruise line execs) to ponder.  If testing cannot be relied on, well, I don't see a reason to risk recreational travel that could adversely far more people than the crew and passengers in both the short and long term.

That said, anyone really think the no sail order or that the public health emergency status in the US will be reversed anytime soon? I'm just hoping my own state doesn't have to fall back to stricter restrictions. 

Looks like the 12 crew who tested positive on TUI came back negative this time, but will be retested on docking.  Second story says not all the crew were tested?  I think I'm still wondering whether they'll retest everyone on board; I think they should.   But, I guess it's a good test of the protocols to see if they need tweaking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cruise-ship-coronavirus-outbreak-was-false-alarm-as-staff-tests-come-back-negative/ar-BB19wYTu

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cruise-ship-coronavirus-outbreak-was-false-alarm-as-staff-tests-come-back-negative/ar-BB19wYTu

As only 150 of the ship’s 666 crew had been tested, the public health team will retest the 12 positive cases as well as anyone else deemed necessary by the ship’s crew and doctor.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/The-Latest-UN-chief-says-pandemic-toll-is-15604854.php

The new 15 minute rapid test looks to be a game changer. They will be directed to schools at first but then should become more readily available. My question is who will be paying for the administering the tests if done at cruise terminal? My guess is that everyone will be required to pay an extra fee regardless of insurance. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

The new 15 minute rapid test looks to be a game changer. They will be directed to schools at first but then should become more readily available. My question is who will be paying for the administering the tests if done at cruise terminal? My guess is that everyone will be required to pay an extra fee regardless of insurance. 

If the false positive rate is greater than 1/10th of 1% then I think the test could do as much harm as good.

• Like 1

Be careful what you wish for. If the cruise industry goes too soon and too fast they will have outbreaks and then they will be idled for a longer period of time. We’ve seen what happens when cities and states open up too much, too soon - COVID comes back with a vengeance. We are now seeing increasing COVID cases throughout the world and the experts believe the worst is yet to come because of the combination of COVID and the flu. 

• Like 1

Could the CDC just let the no sail order expire?  After all, crew repatriation is done; ships for the most part aren't in USA waters; cruise line insurance companies will likely force the cruise lines to get their protocols approved by CDC et al; wouldn't this just put the cruise lines in a quandary and let the CDC off the hook as the bad guy?